It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble spots azure blue planet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I never thought that it was possible but now Hubble can watch the atmosphere or at-least the color its given.
How soon will it be that we can see detailed planets just as bright as we now can see stars and nebula's ?

Astronomers using the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope have, for the first time, determined the true colour of a planet orbiting another star. If seen up close this planet, known as HD 189733b, would be a deep azure blue, reminiscent of Earth’s colour as seen from space.

I always wanted to see other worlds I hope they show us one soon with real pictures that would be awesome..

Hubble

Peace

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Great deductive work there. I find the study of exoplanets very interesting, not only because they are alien worlds, but also because we can learn so much from as little as measuring the star's light in connection with planetary transits. Temperature, atmosphere makeup, and now even the colour.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It's very likely that within ten years we also can detect biological life. I've heard that Seti is building a new way to trace emission spores around planets and stars

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

It amazes me how we can see planets, near and far and not one clear pic of a UFO...

Interesting none the less.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

There are alot of clear UFO pictures only none of them confirmed real by Nasa

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Thats amazing!

Another blue pebble in this void we call the universe.

its only a matter of time before we find the earths twin and take a clear picture.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

That's awesome!
For a minute there I thought the pic you posted was the actual Hubble picture, had to go read up to make sure, as it is an artists impression, but still very cool.
According to your link it rains glass sideways at 7000 km an hour...

That's crazy!

S&F!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
Thats amazing!

Another blue pebble in this void we call the universe.

its only a matter of time before we find the earths twin and take a clear picture.

Neptune is a beautiful blue color, too -- but it isn't very Earth-like. I'm sure planets that are much like earth do exist out there, but the blue color of a planet may be misleading...

Neptune

edit on 7/11/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

It amazes me how we can see planets, near and far and not one clear pic of a UFO...

Interesting none the less.

-SAP-

We have only "seen" a few planets ever. Almost all of the 700+ (and counting) exoplanets that have ever been discovered have actually never been "seen" through a telescope. These planets have been discovered using other indirect methods, such as by the "transit" method.

The transit method finds a planet whenever that planet's orbit takes it between its star and our plane-finding telescope. When a planet moves in front of its star like that, the start minutely dims. By analyzing the characteristics of this dimming, scientists can infer the existence of a planet, and deduce some of the physical characteristics of that planet.

Also, by studying the spectrographic analysis of the light coming from the parent star as it shines through a planet's atmosphere, scientists can also deduce a lot about that atmosphere (without ever really seeing it).

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

That is crazy , you would be sliced walking there. ..

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

One word : Cloaking

I'm 100% positively sure that advanced alien ships AND their planets are cloaked.

On top of that, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that we are also cloaked by them.
After all, we are an non-evolved race living in a natural reserve called Earth.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

Sorry for off-topic, but another thing about UFOs that amazes me is how they avoid going through a fiery re-entry in our atmosphere.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Time to turn off the television.
edit on 12-7-2013 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Bagsie it is mine

I name it Monkey world, the world for Monkeys

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

Sorry for off-topic, but another thing about UFOs that amazes me is how they avoid going through a fiery re-entry in our atmosphere.

Simply (not really that simple in technical terms), they slow down. If they don't dissipate their potential & kinetic energy when attempting re-entry they will be going fast enough which is what will cause them to need a heat shield. If they slow-down using thrusters or whatever they would have at their disposal, then they negate this problem & thus no fireball streaking across the sky.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by big_BHOY

Originally posted by wildespace

Simply (not really that simple in technical terms), they slow down. If they don't dissipate their potential & kinetic energy when attempting re-entry they will be going fast enough which is what will cause them to need a heat shield. If they slow-down using thrusters or whatever they would have at their disposal, then they negate this problem & thus no fireball streaking across the sky.

Exactly. If you had enough fuel/long lasting power source to be able to slow down enough to cruise in through the atmosphere at relatively low speeds (say a few hundred or a thousand mph or so), then there is no need for a heat shield. The reason spacecraft need a heat shield is that they are hitting the atmosphere at 17,000 mph (25,000 mph for the Apollo capsules), causing massive amounts of friction.

If you could find a way to use thrusters to slow your fall toward Earth, then there would be far less friction and far less heat.

I'm not saying "that's how aliens do it"...I'm simply saying that's how it could be done -- alien or otherwise. The problem with us doing it is that we don't have the capability to carry enough fuel to power the engines to slow us down enough all the way through the atmosphere.

edit on 7/15/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

That used to crack me up too.

I thought-awesome, Hubble will go up, alien ship will pose, and BLAM! The world knows we have visitors.
But nooooooooo!

I betcha there's one somewhere...

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I suppose the real picture of this planet is kind of like a fuzzy blue dot. I used to look at things through a telescope a lot when I was young and never saw anything like the pictures that are on these articles. Can't they put a real picture that shows what they see in the article?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I suppose the real picture of this planet is kind of like a fuzzy blue dot. I used to look at things through a telescope a lot when I was young and never saw anything like the pictures that are on these articles. Can't they put a real picture that shows what they see in the article?

There isn't even a picture of the planet as a dot. Rather, the Hubble used its spectroscope to measure the light spectrum from the star. As the planet in question goes behind the star, there's a dip in the blue part of the spectum. This allows us to deduce that that blue light was from the planet.

Very few exoplanets have been photographed directly; usually the star's light completely overwhelmes the extremely faint light from the planets. Thus, most of the study of expolanets involves indirect means and clues, such as mentioned above.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

You remind me of that flop of a TV show with Andy Griffith where he builds a rocket spaceship using a truck cement mixer as the capsule. Salvage 1.

Slow (to him) was the way to go.

Thanks for that memory

top topics

<<   2 >>

join