It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious leanings of Freemasonry

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I saw some crazy stuff at a MOOSE Lodge once, and it was only free pizza night!!!! hahaha

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Think Freemasonry is bad? Go check out the Elks... Scary.

BPOE Monkeys, not just for Saturday night dances anymore...

Are you a member of BPOE as well MM? I looked into them a little. Seems like much more of a "social" thing than Masonry.

[edit on 11/9/04 by The Axeman]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
Are you a member of BPOE as well MM? I looked into them a little. Seems like much more of a "social" thing than Masonry.

TA,

I have some friends that are Elks, but sadly I'm a one trick monkey, Freemasonry seems to be the only system of morals veiled in allegory my simple simian grey matter can assimilate. Perhaps evolution is the answer, but I fear the years will overtake me before such enlightened purpose graces me.

Couple Of Rungs Down Monkeys, not just for Anthropology jokes anymore...

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Yes Bill, a belief in God (any God, pick one), and a philosophy of atheism, are diametrically opposed as our esteemed Canadian observer has conspicuously pointed out. If you would care to experiment in the duality of such a juxtaposition, be my guest, I personally eschew such conflicts as inherently unproductive. I do engage in the practice of pooling similar theologies as a means to better understand my own beliefs, and consequently of those around me (but not all, some escape even my noted ken ), but I would never want to burden others with my own personal choices.

Mirthful

You are correct, ( pick one ) . If in fact freemasonry promoted any particular Deity it would , as its critics try to imply actually become a religion.

As however the case is that you keep your own Faith then it is not.

Thank you for making that clear for everyone.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
So by your own admission you have judged through ignorance.

Very Christian of you.

The ignorant generalising posts that you spout get old Leveler.
A christian thinks masonry is bad. So f*cking what?!
Do you enjoy it when christians act like this, so you can attack the group "christians" once again.
Yey a christian that makes a mistake, another excuse to be all ignorant.
Pfft

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Some people on these boards lack decorum and basic respect.

In the presence of Masons, they throw out a provocative, almost combative statement that they get the "feeling" that Masonry is bad, and that it is "blasphemous." Not even a "sorry, no offense" is offered. A remedial course in basic diplomacy seems to be the order of the day around here.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but opinions that so openly invite retaliation, will - not surprisingly - receive it.

Get real.

[edit on 9-11-2004 by LTD602]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LTD602
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but opinions that so openly invite retaliation, will - not surprisingly - receive it.

Get real.
[edit on 9-11-2004 by LTD602]

You are so right LTD. Jakko we just went though a topic about circumventing the censors, warns will follow.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Which according to many pro-masons means ANYONE that disagrees with their (pro-masons) statements about anything.

Back to the topic- other than a non-answer such as "any god"
what are the religious teachings of masonry?

It (the masonry view) apparently is not monolithic. When the pastor/preacher leads ""prayer"" at a masonic function whay is Christ never mentioned?

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PublicGadfly

Which according to many pro-masons means ANYONE that disagrees with their (pro-masons) statements about anything.

It (the masonry view) apparently is not monolithic. When the pastor/preacher leads ""prayer"" at a masonic function whay is Christ never mentioned?

1.) People are FREE to disagree. The delivery of same, however, is what seems to be lacking,. It isn't necessarily WHAT you say, but rather, the WAY you say it.

2.) "Any God" is indeed an answer. It happens to be an asnwer for some 6 Million Masons worldwide. If you are looking for a specific God, then spend some quiet time examining your own faith, if you happen to have one.

3.) Christ is not mentioned because doing so would imply a preference for one faith over another. The Buddha isn't mentioned, either, nor Is Allah, nor any of the Taoist Ascended Masters, nor the Shinto Gods, nor any of the Hindu Gods, etc. If you look for Christ in Masonic ritual (not that you've ever really experienced any), then find him for yourself.

Anything else?

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by PublicGadfly

Masonry, as you well know, is a fraternity and thus has no "religious teachings", i.e., has no body of divinity that is "Masonic", in contrast to "Christian", "Jewish", or "Muslim" ones.

Freemasonry, from its earliest appearance in the High Middle Ages, has always required a belief in the existence of God, and the Deity is invoked at Masonic meetings.

Your confusion arises in the ability to distinguish religious teachings from philosophical ones. Freemasonry, which indeed is primarily a Philosophical fellowship society, has offered to its Students various teachings from various cultures concerning the nature of God, the relationship of the individual to his fellows, etc. These are not "Masonic religious teachings", but are comparative teachings of various religions and philosophies which have existed throughout history. Freemasonry does not pretend to specify which, if any, are correct; instead, it simply fulfills its role as an educational institution, leading its members to philosophical inquiry.

It is erroneous to claim that Christ is never mentioned...indeed, contrary to the anti-Masonic propaganda, prayer in Christ's name is quite common in Lodges in the USA. In the Swedish Rite, prayer in Christ's name is actually mandatory, since only Christians may become Masons in Sweden, Norway, and Finland.

Therefore, the question is not "Why is Christ's name not used", since it is used continuously. The real question is, rather, "Should Christ's name be used?" In my opinion, it should not, because Freemasonry is not sectarian, and non-Christians may become Masons in most countries. The Christian, Jew, and Muslim all worship the same Deity, but in a different manner, and it is not for Freemasonry to take sides on which manner, if any, is correct.

Fiat Lvx.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Quote: "and for others this can be, say Satan?"

With GadFly Cheerleading right after him. Typical.

Ah then comes "Masonic Light" with some Excellent posts that clears it all up! Outstanding!

Ohh.. Scary!!! Here we go again!!! Why are Christians so Afraid/Scared of this "Satan" Concept that they created themselves?

[edit on 9-11-2004 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
In any case, I have not heard Christ's name metnined yet in Masonry. Either way, the issue doesn't bother me.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
OK LTD602 - have you heard anyone say "Hail Satan" yet in your Masonic Meetings. Ridiculous no?

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko

So by your own admission you have judged through ignorance.

Very Christian of you.

The ignorant generalising posts that you spout get old Leveler.
A christian thinks masonry is bad. So f*cking what?!
Do you enjoy it when christians act like this, so you can attack the group "christians" once again.
Yey a christian that makes a mistake, another excuse to be all ignorant.
Pfft

THIS is the living testimony of a self proclaimed Christian??? Are you kidding me? You may claim to be a christian, but NOTHING you have posted would prove it... you are supposed to live your life in such a way that you could easily be convicted of being a disciple of Christ...

Your post is a defamation and slander of every person that really IS a Christian. So you don't like masons... la de dah... is it your understanding of Jesus teachings to be a loudmouthed, ignorant, unsophisticated, rude, arrogant lout? Is THIS how you whisper good counsel and praise Jesus? Your actions are hateful, and certainly do not speak well of the faith and teachings...

You SHOULD be ashamed. Unfortunately, based on your posts SO FAR, you will be proud of your arrogance and rudeness...

Pity. The folks you seem to so despise have shown more class and christian behavior than you have... think about it.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Back on the subject, I think the concept of a "Supreme Being" is far more comfortable than a specified deity.

After all, the reason I lay claim to no particular religion is that in every religion I find reasons not to subscribe to it, especially since many of them, such as (used only as an example) the Catholic Church, requires regular prayer and acknowledgement of its God, such that even those ignorant of its existence are thus condemned to eternal damnation (THERE WILL BE NO CHRISTIAN FLAMING, THIS ISN'T THE PLACE FOR IT.)

However, there is a large amount about the universe that I can't explain. While science can easily explain most of it, it is equally likely that some ethereal Supreme Being does in fact exist, or at least did. And I like the idea brought up in "Angels and Demons" that, if science could PROVE the existence of a god, both atheists and religious people could finally settle their differences.

Therefore, it's in fact very possible for me to accept the vague, deliberately ambiguous term "Supreme Being", in the context of Freemasonry. Thanks for the clarification.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Don Armageddon

Therefore, it's in fact very possible for me to accept the vague, deliberately ambiguous term "Supreme Being", in the context of Freemasonry. Thanks for the clarification.

The definition of a 'supreme being' , but I believe some States give a further clarification. As you say it can be determned in different ways, chat to the Lodge with that you may join, because it is they who will accept you. It is their choice at the end of the day.

I must admit to having two opposing thoughts on this issue, I think a man can be good and decent without having a belief in God, but then knowing what is involved in Masonry it seems daft to encourage someone to participate if they do not have a basic belief system.

Good luck, I hope it turns out as you wish.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by theron dunn

THIS is the living testimony of a self proclaimed Christian??? Are you kidding me? You may claim to be a christian, but NOTHING you have posted would prove it... you are supposed to live your life in such a way that you could easily be convicted of being a disciple of Christ...

Your post is a defamation and slander of every person that really IS a Christian. So you don't like masons... la de dah... is it your understanding of Jesus teachings to be a loudmouthed, ignorant, unsophisticated, rude, arrogant lout? Is THIS how you whisper good counsel and praise Jesus? Your actions are hateful, and certainly do not speak well of the faith and teachings...

You SHOULD be ashamed. Unfortunately, based on your posts SO FAR, you will be proud of your arrogance and rudeness...

Pity. The folks you seem to so despise have shown more class and christian behavior than you have... think about it.

That I despise?
You probably did not understand one single thing I wrote.
I do not despise anyone.
Neither do dislike masons, I really have no clue where you got that idea either.

And yes I get mad when people like leveler never cease their ignorant generalising posts towards a group of people I am part of.
Don't you try to further this kind of ignorance by saying I am a bad example as a christian. I know what I said and I know that sometimes I go too far in my posts, I really don't need your help.
Now you know, Christians get mad too sometimes.
Surprised?

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko
And yes I get mad when people like leveler never cease their ignorant generalising posts towards a group of people I am part of.

Ah, get off your high horse and stop stamping your feet like a baby.
The guy made an adverse comment which was based on his religion and I directly replied to him.

"I'm a Christian who doesn't know a lot about Jews, but I don't like Jews".

Swap the word Jew for Freemason and tell me that the comment above is a logical, well-argued point.

If you can't do that, do me a favour and go whine somewhere else.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Ah, get off your high horse and stop stamping your feet like a baby.
The guy made an adverse comment which was based on his religion and I directly replied to him.

"I'm a Christian who doesn't know a lot about Jews, but I don't like Jews".

Swap the word Jew for Freemason and tell me that the comment above is a logical, well-argued point.

If you can't do that, do me a favour and go whine somewhere else.

Your "that's very christian of you" is just an ignorant comment, no matter in what context you use it.
I agree with you, the poster of that comment made a fool out of himself. But still your reply was not that cool either.

[edit on 10-11-2004 by Jakko]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Surprised you guys know so much about the masons. My grandfather was one before he died. I could never gt any info from him. Nor how to join or anything. I finally gave up.

Edit: Never mind read other posts realized some of you were masons. Makes sense now

[edit on 10-11-2004 by Aramaic]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join