It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNNMoney says: Iris scans are the new school IDs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Kids lose their school IDs but they don't often lose their eyeballs. That's one of the reasons why a growing number of schools are replacing traditional identification cards with iris scanners. By the fall, several schools -- ranging from elementary schools to colleges -- will be rolling out various iris scanning security methods.

money.cnn.com...

There was thread a about a month ago discussing the usage of retinal scans in Florida but this article differs as it seems to be that this is stating that iris scans at schools are going to be infinitely more widespread than just a single state or school district starting this fall. I find this to be a curious condition in which the way that the schools have been represented over the last several years is one of being woefully short of funds. Additionally, universities and colleges have been increasingly hiking tuition so again, it's really curious to see something rather expensive being implemented at such a level--especially on something that has very recently not been well received by parents. (The Florida pilot program was suspended after a slew of complaints by parents just in the last month). One has to ask, why and how?

I'm a firm believer in following the money and yet, I cannot find a single thing on where the dollars being spent on any of this is actually originating from. I did, however, isolate two very large companies as being those that are involved in putting biometrics into the schools--3M/Cogent and Stanley Security Solutions (subsidiary of Stanley/Black & Decker). Out of the two, 3M/Cogent is the most notable as that is the entity contracted by the Department of Education in the fingerprinting of educators nationwide.

Stanley Security Solutions also has a page where it states that it is "partnering" with educational facilities to basically assure student safety. Whereas most of the examples on their "interactive solutions guide" are actually pretty great ideas, you'll find that retinal scanners/biometrics are also in the proposed solutions as well as video cameras. I wonder if the latter means that parents can some day be treated to documented footage of their child's dozing off during math.
www.stanleysecuritysolutions.com...

On this page, there is a section about funding these security solutions for k-12 and Stanley is offering assistance with grants and funding. Still doesn't say who is offering up grants for this kind of tech but I can imagine a number of large companies and entities that would be interested in introducing the public to the usage of biometrics on a daily basis... www.stanleysecuritysolutions.com...

With the RFID chip, I recall them using children as well. The reason why the media uses children is because, well, we love our kids and want them to be safe. However, RFID still fell pretty flat on its face so this time, it seems like they are just going to be putting the scanners in the schools. Children are the least protected of citizens within this country and there are some very big companies, such as IBM, that have plans in the works for a nation of shoppers that can be identified through biometrics. This is big money and so, the "glowing" CNN Money article doesn't surprise me. It's probably just the beginning.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This isn't a bad idea in my opinion. I've put some real thought into it and traditional ID is pretty well a joke. Even REAL ID cards are only stop gap for counterfeiting (among their other purposes). I mean, ultimately, printing won't even be needed to copy a card they want to think can't be copied, right? Just several generations of further development of 3d printing to bring resolution of detail down that far. Just about anything really can be copied with high end consumer equipment now anyway tho...

So... If they must use something more than cards? There are fingers, DNA/Blood and eyes. I don't much care for the idea of DNA because technology will eventually get to Gattaca levels and just vacuuming a room will tell you everyone whose been in it within moments of a scanner processing it. The less central databasing of DNA , the better. Fingerprints for much the same reason ....and using bio scans on something really secure or worth scamming can probably be faked or ...spoofed with what used to be attached to someone who wanted to keep it, anyway.

Eyes tho? Well, no one is leaving them around to be tracked like DNA and they won't work the same if 'borrowed' for unauthorized use on a lock, despite the anatomy ideas Hollywood gives from things like Demolition Man.

All I say is be 1000 % CERTAIN as medicine can EVER get that the wavelengths being used to scan CANNOT damage an eyeball. That's been my only concern with ever using Iris scanning. A malfunction or hack prank would be a tragedy for life.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
So... If they must use something more than cards?

We're talking about school ids--not credit cards or ATM machines which would be more prone to fraud/counterfeiting. The odds of someone counterfeiting a school id would be pretty slim as the ability to check out a book at the library or receive a minor discount at a park would probably equate any such counterfeiting to be a waste of time. Additionally, there is a significant consent difference in that, if you chose to have biometrics being used on a credit card or something else, then that is your choice. However, where is the consent in performing iris scans on children getting on a school bus or at school? If, when my daughter attends school this fall, they are using retinal scanners, is there even an option to opt-out or is it mandatory?

Overall, this actually has some significant ramifications in regards to information collection. You'll basically have an entire generation that will be identified via iris scan within a database and there are iris scanners already in existence that actually work without even having to look in a binocular like apparatus. Someday, those kids will be identified everywhere they go without ever showing an id and they never would have been asked their consent. I'm not down with that. It could basically become PRISM on steroids.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This will ensure every citizen has been scanned and on record for when they grow up and become a 'person of interest'.

They will find a reason to do it to the homeschooled kids as well. They
won't get credited or be able to take final exams unless they get their kids scanned

The rest of us adults will get tricked onto it some way.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

You don't figure this is as much an example and advertising program among a diverse and generally mixed group for being cooperative? Great test environment to develop the real high end stuff later, if nothing else.

In reading about this, I think it's being watched by many for schools and a lot more. So, my note is written with that in the back of my mind for being a part of it.

Besides, rather than be sane and logical about this in approaching it as having strong deterrence and hard consequence for people going postal in places like schools, they've gone the paranoid delusional's way of trying to make it impossible by physical means. Kinda of the Israeli 'whole nation is an armed camp' approach to security vs. the pre-911 reasonable levels the US had.

So..If this is the way of the future...may as well use this form than the other options is my thinking. Kids who grow up on it will expect and even demand it in several years when they enter business, after all.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Well said WhiteAlice.

Overall, this actually has some significant ramifications in regards to information collection. You'll basically have an entire generation that will be identified via iris scan within a database and there are iris scanners already in existence that actually work without even having to look in a binocular like apparatus. Someday, those kids will be identified everywhere they go without ever showing an id and they never would have been asked their consent. I'm not down with that. It could basically become PRISM on steroids.

^^^This is exactly why I would be against such a thing.
Maybe not in our time, but I'm pretty sure in our children's time, technology will have advanced far enough that scanners will be able to read your eye while walking down the street.
We've all seen the movies so I think you know the uses I'm implying here.

As it is, we can't even trust those in power at all anymore.They've proven time and again we mean nothing to them.
Its to the point they just outright lie to our faces and smile about it and nothing ever comes of it, no matter what it is, and it just continues.
The potential for abuse of this technology is unquantifiable. And we all know the affinity they have for abusing things like this.

It would be far better to invest the money into the school itself rather than another form of control.

Also, as violet stated...

They will find a reason to do it to the homeschooled kids as well. They won't get credited or be able to take final exams unless they get their kids scanned The rest of us adults will get tricked onto it some way.

Precisely what they did in most places with the vaccines.

I agree with you on so many things Wrabbit but I can't on this one.
We can't allow this one to happen. Maybe in time when those in power can be trusted, but not now.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Its fear based police state tactics. And if ever imposed here in our schools my kids will be doing it all at home on the computer.

It's not a good idea, its alarming psychology conditioning for kids to think they are always police suspects and need to be bio scanned. NO THE SERVANTS NEED TO SIT DOWN AND SERVE THE PEOPLE. My kids are innocents, and I don't care if they lose their Id cards, who needs them anyway.
edit on 11-7-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I know first hand about the retinal scanners. They are being used on school busses to track the students getting on and off the bus. It is a pilot program that is trying to take the human error issue out of children being left on the bus. I actually did a final check on about 150 of the scanners before this project started.

I just verified that they took pictures correctly really. it can store your retina. then you add info and when you cross a scanners path it snaps a pic and verifies who you are for whatever system. like card readers just with eyeball verification

it is very cool tech and very scary at the same time. I am kinda torn on it myself. if an omnipotent being was in control of it that is one thing. The problem with humans is a lack of omnipotence.

edit on 11-7-2013 by Privateinquotations because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-7-2013 by Privateinquotations because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowLink

They already have technology for iris scanners that can function with just a glance:

www.sri.com...

The IOM PassPort just requires people to walk through it and it'll scan the eyes of 30 people per minute. So yep, the technology is already there.

Future plans for biometric devices include them being built-in to store shelves. I've brought up this patent before (and I'll say it again, look them up) but here's the figure for the patent that shows the built-in biometric devices on the shelf edges for the inside of a grocery store:

patentimages.storage.googleapis.com...
Full patent: www.google.com...

We will have the world featured in Minority Report but the only place where it'll differ really will be the psychics in a pool. Instead, they're working on computers that can predict behavior for that.

And Wrabbit2000, no retinal scanner is going to stop a school shooter. Most school shooters, historically, have either been a. students or b. staff both of which would be allowed entry into the school even with an iris scanner present. One solitary shooter should not equate to the monitoring and surveillance that will result from the placement of an entire generation's irises in a database. It's called overkill and that's really not a world that I want for either of my children. I want them to know what freedom tastes like.

new topics

top topics

join