It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revealed: how Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Revealed: how Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages

www.guardian.co.uk

• Secret files show scale of Silicon Valley co-operation on Prism
• Outlook.com encryption unlocked even before official launch
• Skype worked to enable Prism collection of video calls
• Company says it is legally compelled to comply
Microsoft has collaborated closely with US intelligence services to allow users' communications to be intercepted, including helping the National Security Agency to circumvent the company's own encryption, according to top-secret documents obtained by the Guardian.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I thought Skype was most safest of mainstream comunications tools . This show when Skype was bought by Microsoft in October 2011, has worked with intelligence agencies last year to allow Prism to collect video of conversations as well as audio.
Thank you Edward Snowden for all the information. Someone is playing GOD here.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Skype is not encrypted P2P...

Just read this recent article.

If you post a link in the "secure" chat, microsoft will almost immediately ocheck the URL.

newsforgeeks.net...

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I never liked Skype and all that social network crap (exclude boards) and always expected Skype to be vulnerable or fitted with backdoors at least. When Microsoft bagged Skype it was clear to most of the people that this would take a bad end one or the other way.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The name "Windows" suddenly feels quite sinister .
And Microsoft Security Essentials.

Bill left the Gates wide open for the NSA.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Well, if someone from an alphabet agency wants to monitor my adults only Skype calls with the hubby when he's out of town all I can say is that they are either in for the shock of their life or the best laugh of their life- either way it's a win/win for them!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

My computers are exclusively running open source software except for the GPU driver on a couple.

And all the firmware in the chips, but that's another problem all together.

Next step is real open source hardware too

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Well look at Skype the only software where close doesn't mean close lol.
Also if you look at windows 8 then look no further to a Orwellian society. Log in with your e-mail.. Helloooo.

If you lost your password from gmail... Send us an SMS and will send you a code as if lol.

And everyone is so upset, yet no one asks questions or rants about those two banners next to the forum lol!
edit on 11-7-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

As soon as skype was purchased by microsoft....I quit using it.
Something didn't sit right and now after reading thisI am glad I have good instincts.

I don't twitter,facebook,upload youtube videos and i might get a few emails a year at most.

Be careful what you do in the virtual world and be very secret in your real life.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Here in Belgium everything nowaday goes via social media and private corps. Even at school information about or lessons where posted on FB. You had to have an account just to look at it.

If you want to apply for a job, they screen your FB. Try staying of the grid and find a job in the system.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Skype was hated by the spooks due to its use of bespoke encryption which due to it being owned by a non US company meant they couldn't just pop a quick request in for the source code/any keys so when it got brought out by MS with virtually no official interest from the US government it said that they wanted the inside details and was willing to allow virtually anything for the goodies inside and within a few weeks there was major changes to the system which made it much more traceable but probably made it useless as everyone who used it for anything naughty would of said to stuff that and moved to something else

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

good one! To get a little bit off-topic, I also like how they came up with Prism tripple meaning. (the acronym, prisms used to eavesdrop on fibers, prism like a magic glas bowl that shows you everything you want to see)
Creativity and overtly is strongly upheld.
edit on 11-7-2013 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

And you know what popped in my head a few minutes ago? If they are monitoring the people 24/7 then why not make us of it in a good way?

How many pedophiles you reckon are in that database? They probably have every known/unknown pedophile right there, yet they just stand by idle until a girl disappears and his/her name pops in an official police report.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Short video by independent documentary filmmaker Scott Noble.
Courage - A Tribute to Whistleblowers

vimeo.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

Sad and true but they can´t do anything even by law.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

I doubt every kiddy fiddler uses skype ..there maybe a few they could catch that way but really it would be like posting a video via the post saying "me doing 'nasty stuff' to a 9 year old" on the outside of the envelope

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I think his/her the point was the whole NSA spying act and the collection of data in common.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
reply to post by Senduko

I doubt every kiddy fiddler uses skype ..there maybe a few they could catch that way but really it would be like posting a video via the post saying "me doing 'nasty stuff' to a 9 year old" on the outside of the envelope

A lot of business contracts are discussed over Skype , that is industrial espionage on an incredible scale. Considering that a lot of governmental decisions are made in such way too, or at least drafted, and via email, it is a case of espionage on an unprecedented scale too.
edit on 11-7-2013 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

They don't track pictures, they track meta data. I'm pretty sure a pedo will have specific meta keywords.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

For business spying, we all forget about Lync too.
I can log into lync using my job user/password (internal domain user/pass) with my android phone on a random unencrypted WIFI.

I'm not sure how they allow that but it should be extremely easy for TPTB to monitor this.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join