It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prosecution moves to charge Zimmerman with 3d Degree Murder based on Aggravated Child Abuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The prosecution in the Zimmerman case has finally come to the realization that it cant get a second degree murder conviction after its poor showing the past few weeks in which the defense was able to use nearly all of the prosecutions witnesses against them, so they decide its time to change tactics

Prosecutor Richard Mantei argued that instructions for third-degree murder should be included on the premise that Zimmerman committed child abuse when he fatally shot 17-year-old Trayvon Martin because Martin was underage.

This surprise is important because the defense did not have time to research the law, while the State presented numerous cases. Additionally, the entire defense strategy was predicated around defending against charges of 2nd degree murder, not child abuse. Generally it is not a defense to child abuse that the perpetrator did not know the age of the victim. If judge Debra Nelson rule sin the prosecution's favor it may well lead to a conviction, but any conviction would necessarily be overturned on appeal.

This entire case has been one giant kangaroo court, and it wouldn't shock me in the least if Nelson let the prosecution get away with this.
edit on 11-7-2013 by SirMike because: me fail engrish?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Just when you think it's nearly over the case just keeps twisting and turning! It was only a few hours ago that I read that they were considering down grading the charges to manslaughter. Why are they so afraid of letting Zimmerman walk? If the prosecution didn't prove their case beyond reasonable doubt he should go free- end of story. Not cool to keep changing the charges just to be able to tell the potential rioters they got a conviction!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

I think that the jury will be smarter than the prosecution believes. I hope. This is a straw grabbing tactic. Playing on emotions.

But if it does work and Zimmerman wins the appeal, which is more than likely, can he sue the State? Can he name the Judge as one of those he is suing?

I think that the State is just trying to wrap things up as speedily as possible.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
Why are they so afraid of letting Zimmerman walk? If the prosecution didn't prove their case beyond reasonable doubt he should go free- end of story. Not cool to keep changing the charges just to be able to tell the potential rioters they got a conviction!

Well you answered your own question.

They will throw Zimmerman to the wolves to prevent a riot. But I think that either way this goes, there will still be one.

If convicted, a smaller scale celebratory riot that is localized.

If found not guilty, nationwide.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

The most ironic thing of the case so far.

Start of the trial:

DEFENSE: We motion to have the 2nd degree murder charge dismissed based on lack of evidence.

PROSECUTION: No way bro ... we got dozens of witnesses and we are going to convict!

End of the trial:

PROSECUTION: Umm .. on second though, all of our witnesses seemed to make a better case for the prosecution than they did for us and we want the charges changed.

DEFENSE: Explain to me again why we couldn't get that 2nd degree murder charge dismissed at the beginning of the trial?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Why are they so afraid of letting Zimmerman walk?

Imitators and copy cats.

Some could kill someone and say "i want the Zimmerman rule to dictate this!"

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Existing thread, here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

here, in the mega thread, begins discussion of adding/changing to lesser charges:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-closed-
edit on 7/11/2013 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join