It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A TED talk on the future of agriculture...Great talk on GMO plants and the consequences of their use

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
tedxtalks.ted.com...;search%3Athierry%20vrain

The Gene Revolution, The Future of Agriculture: Dr. Thierry Vrain at TEDxComoxValley
Thierry Vrain retired 10 years ago after a long career as a soil biologist and ended head of a department of molecular biology running his own research progr...

Everything from the new super weeds to what is changing with the flora and fauna and the GMO impact. Good video for those who have unresolved questions and are able to view it.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
In plain English he tells whats going on with GMOs, how they pass on genetic information to bacteria who then give to other organisms through lateral transfer. This is how we created herbicide-resistant "superweeds" and how humans are being used as guinea pigs while they study our damaged organs.
When scientists universally decried the dangers the FDA simply replaced them all with more compliant researchers who got the results Monstano wanted.
It's truly amazing that our government not only protects but promotes such dangerous and irresponsible practices all for the sake of a few dollars more in profits. The real conspiracy here is between Biotech firms and government - both of whom should be held accountable as the grim results become undeniable.
Good talk

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Thank you for the reply: To me it was one of the better in depth vids I have seen on the subject without the hype.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I have a theory about this if I understood the video properly. Start the video at 6:18. I'm paraphrasing here a, but he basically said that the BT bacteria from the genetically engineered crops thrive in the human gut. Here's my theory:

What if a person was to severely overpower the BT bacteria with good bacteria? Nature always seems to win... I use the "superweeds" that nature made as an example. People, start taking lots of different bacteria that are good for the gut. Go to your health food store and buy the very best gut bacteria supplements you can get.

Gut bacteria supplements won't overpower the potential ill health effects of the chelation action of Roundup. Chelation is adding a substance to a living organism which removes a specific mineral or mineral(s). Anything that is removed has the potential to be replenished. All you have to ask then is this: What mineral(s) does Roundup chelate from the plants (and potentially the body as well)??? All you have to do is replenish those minerals, and you will have no ill health effects.

Please help out with the knowledge of what minerals those are, because I don't have a clue.

There's my theory, and I'm going to start taking lots of different "good" gut bacteria!
edit on 7/13/2013 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Thank-you for sharing that. I'm surprised this thread isn't being commented on more considering GM foods are widely discussed on ATS. I'm going to try to find some of the published papers on this and add them here. I think it's important to discuss the actual scientific findings vs the info campaigns waged by both the pro and con sides of this issue.

SF

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I did a little searching and found a little more info on chelation as it relates to plants.
See the link to read the entire article.
www.hahealthnews.com...

Because Roundup chelates minerals (making them unusable by the plant), it makes the plants weaker, diminishing their nutrients. As a result, plants sprayed with Roundup are more susceptible to drought and disease, not more robust as they appear to be, standing alone in a weed-free field. They are, in fact, weak and sick, and the animals that eat them become weaker and sicker as well.

If Roundup kills by stripping the minerals from the plants as they are growing, yet the GMO's are Roundup Ready, I would suggest that these plants don't need specific trace minerals like their natural counterparts. GMO is stripped of minerals, and they could be important ones like magnesium, potassium, and other electrolytes.

If I'm right about what I suggested above, it's possible that people are getting diseases from eating plants that don't have normal balance of electrolytes. Just look up the ill health effects of a potassium or magnesium deficiency. That could explain a lot of the new health problems that are appearing in animals that are fed GMO, if the studies are true and accurate.

I would LOVE to see a study that feeds animals GMO plants, but adds a balanced electrolyte mix to the GMO products. Perhaps the solution to GMO is a lot simpler than we realize.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

In plain English he tells whats going on with GMOs, how they pass on genetic information to bacteria who then give to other organisms through lateral transfer. This is how we created herbicide-resistant "superweeds" and how humans are being used as guinea pigs while they study our damaged organs.

No. "Superweeds" are created by evolution, the same way antibiotic resistance develops in bacteria. It has nothing to do with lateral transfer. In any population of plants there are some that will have a natural tolerance to a herbicide. Those that do will survive to produce offspring. That tolerance is passed on to those offspring. Herbicide tolerance occurred long before there were GMO plants.
www.extension.umn.edu...

reply to post by InFriNiTee

If Roundup kills by stripping the minerals from the plants as they are growing, yet the GMO's are Roundup Ready, I would suggest that these plants don't need specific trace minerals like their natural counterparts.

Your source is entirely incorrect. That is not how glyphosate works.

The effect of glyphosate on plants is to bind with EPSP synthase, an enzyme which is essential in the sythesis of proteins by the plant. Because the plant is not able to produce these proteins, the plant dies. Gylphosate tolerant plants (GMO and otherwise) produce a variant of EPSP which is not affected in the same manner and are thus not "starved" to death.
www.ptrpest.com...

GMO plants require the same nutrients as other plants.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for the correction Phage.

I need to watch again and see where I got that idea.

new topics

top topics

join