It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Language of Vampyr

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Are we seriously considering the idea we are dealing with an immortal race of undead vampires here?

You have all read far too many anne rice novels. There is no such thing as vampires. I feel very confident in stating as much. Talented linguists do not = undead creatures of the night.

Ridiculous. And to call the videos disturbing? I've seen more disturbing Skinny Puppy videos

edit on 14-7-2013 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

You are correct I believe. The individuals doing this are extremely talented . I don't doubt their ability what so ever to take in to account any deviation or progression that would be made in the development of a language.

My post was a construction to illustrate how the work the are doing could be applied in a particular circumstance.
Albeit my opinion has been swayed on the true nature of their work. The work other members have been doing has brought to light some interesting facts. Not just opinions and conjecture , but what appears to be the true spirit of the work being done.

I must say this is truly remarkable stuff and has grabbed this fellas curiosity.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
i still dont get why such "intelligent scholars" choose this dark and gothic imagery for their (anti-) linguistic research. lot of blood and brains i´d say.
also why would they mix their respectable and totally harmless language research with computer graphics of ufo´s and aliens ? without implying any evil agenda- i just would like to understand why they want to track off visitors like that.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Although Sumerian is commonly accepted as the first written language, the boundaries may be pushed further back than previously thought, as more information surfaces about far more ancient cultures.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The Indus/Harrapin civilisation may prove to have a written script predating the Sumerians by a few thousand years

edit on 14-7-2013 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

But does not the act of translation render at least the gist of the message to be understood by multiple parties despite linguistic and cultural differences?

I've no doubt that there are certain subtleties which may be lost in translation, but as a human animal, do we generally think and feel in similar ways (much as the way certain other species of primates may communicate), and does this enable at least enough semblance of understanding so as to enable trade and diplomatic exchange?

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Bonus points to whoever works out my feelings on this -

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by johncarter

I'm sure you are developing a better grasp, but i would still caution that you might be hugging a singular tree and failing to see the greater forest.

I've had the advantage here of considering the contents of the website for a couple of months prior to posting, and so i've been running my own mental Venn diagrams as it were, with regards to who might be interested in one aspect of the sites contents but not another, and what i'm seeing here to some extent is people focusing on an aspect of the contents that appeals to them and seems natural that a working group could be set up toward research in that area, but disregarding many other areas of interest found in the greater content.

Logocracy is the rule of, or government by, WORDS. It is derived from the Greek λόγος (logos) - "word" and from κράτος (kratos) - to "govern

Their variance toward the Logocratic is consistent with their search for deeper levels of communication, the underlying paradigms of nature, keep heading off back in that direction and you will eventually arrive at pre-formative chaos, which is why i felt it would be irresponsible on my part not to mention this from the onset, with regards to the conflicts found in Sumerian mythos involving vampiric Demons of Primordial Chaos...their iconography is of course consistent with any such interests

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

I think the key to understanding the video is in the eyes.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

It looks an awful lot like some of the old school crop circles, eh?

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I used a discus font to say that I think a universal language is a great idea.

Great investigative work btw, I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread, especially loved the 'language for aliens' part

awesome stuff!

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Thanks.
But I kinda feel like an idiot now.

It is easy to fall down the rabbit hole sometimes.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

I was thinking about this song in a different context.
When I looked up what it was about, inspiration wise,
It's just a guy learning to do a riff on a mandolin.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by pthena

Yes this was just a dream...

edit on 14-7-2013 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

It helps to have a cat. Things that used to flail about are kept at bay.

Almost 2 years ago a cat came out of the woods and applied for the position.

She learned Pavlovian theory. When she finds it necessary to wake me up, she sits on my keyboard. Spell checker give an audible ding. Sitting on a keyboard invariably results in misspellings. I invariably jump up to shoo her off. Overfull keyboard buffer results in crashed computer.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Disregard
edit on 14-7-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: A ghost in the machine

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Disregard
edit on 14-7-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

They would argue that it is language that drives man apart.
And I would agree.

As Eric Clapton would say, it's in the way that you use it.

This begs the question, did the fact that people were separated, forming new cultures, necessitate new languages, or was it that people who started speaking in different dialects, formed new cultures because of that? Which came first, the culture or the language?

My money is on the formation of different cultures. Looking at near history, the people who settled the America's obviously brought their languages and dialects with them. Listen to people in Maine talk. Then go to Louisiana. Same language, vastly different dialects yet, now, the same culture. Yet those different dialects originated from different languages. Lousiana.......French...........Maine........something different than French. Somehow, somewhere along the way, English became the predominant language binding all the different dialects together. But it didn't happen until after the new culture was formed.

This what makes this organization, Forgotten Languages, so interesting to me. Do the members liken themselves to be a culture unlike any other on earth, therefore wanting to make a new language? If so, they're here and doing this at the right time simply because of the technology that is found, and can be manufactured, on the internet. They couldn't be doing this 50 years ago.

Remember too, they claim to be doing this 'should the need arise" for future use.

edit on 14-7-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I suspect that language influences culture.
There is evidence that suggests language influences the way we think.

Eric Clapton reference and a pool table avatar.
Say, you wouldn't be a fan of the movie The Color of Money, would ya?

One of my favorites.

ETA: "what's in the case?" ... "doom."
edit on 14-7-2013 by JayinAR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

The culture in Louisiana is vastly different than that in Maine, Maine.

Heck, the culture in Louisiana is different than our's here in Arkansas and we share a border.

ETA: I need a black shirt with huge white letters simply saying "JASON"

edit on 14-7-2013 by JayinAR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

Eric Clapton reference and a pool table avatar.
Say, you wouldn't be a fan of the movie The Color of Money, would ya?

One of my favorites.

Big time.
I've been shooting since I was a kid. Tom Cruise brought down what could have been a much better movie though IMO. Paul Newman saved it. His was the definition of overacting. The original was better I think.

The language vs. culture debate is a hard one, I'll admit. I do agree that language influences behavior though.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join