It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(UK) MPs' pay: Watchdog to back pay rise of more than £6,000

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by skuly
From a few months ago in the FT

Ministers are considering freezing or even cutting the minimum wage, despite embarking on the largest contraction to date in the welfare state with the aim of making “work pay”.

The wage, paid to almost a million low paid workers at companies such as retailers and manufacturers, has never been cut since its introduction in 1999.

But Downing Street said on Tuesday morning the business department was mulling over a report from the Low Pay Commission, which recommends the wage level, and could end up reducing the rate.

Google linky

Click the FT in the google search as a direct link won't work.

The minimum wage in the UK has never risen above or on par with inflation, its quite literally the minimum of minimum in terms of wage. To cut that would further induce poverty on the populous as many companies only think their staff are worth £6 an hour, its ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Unfortunately, what your diatribe does not reference, is the fact that MP's are taking a £6,000 cut in their benefits and allowances..... which means they will still be on the same wage effectively... and there will be no additional cost to the tax payer....

Please include all the information and research your facts thoroughly before launching into your vitriol..

I understand your frustration....

In fact, Thatcher tried to solve the problem of UK MP's wages in the eighties by increasing MP's expenses allowances... and we all know how that ended...

Actually, compared to MP's from other countries... the UK's MP's are one of the lowest played groups of ministers in the developed world...

PA.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectAnomoly
Unfortunately, what your diatribe does not reference, is the fact that MP's are taking a £6,000 cut in their benefits and allowances..... which means they will still be on the same wage effectively... and there will be no additional cost to the tax payer....

Please include all the information and research your facts thoroughly before launching into your vitriol..

I understand your frustration....

In fact, Thatcher tried to solve the problem of UK MP's wages in the eighties by increasing MP's expenses allowances... and we all know how that ended...

Actually, compared to MP's from other countries... the UK's MP's are one of the lowest played groups of ministers in the developed world...

PA.

Ive just clicked on my source link in the OP and surprise surprise - The article has been changed.

I can assure that when this was posted Thursday morning there was no mention of mps taking cuts in any parts of their job, only the article announcing that a watchdog decided they deserved a pay rise of at least £6,000. Wouldnt be the first time the bbc had "Updated" one of their articles but kept the same link.

So i'll let your comment about me posting "diatribe" slip.

- Searchlights.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

And to those moaning about their own pay, if you don't like it get a better job. I know many will say there isn't the work out there but in my experience skilled workers are in short supply. The company I work for can't get staff despite paying well above average rates.

You could say the same to MPs couldn't you? If you don't like the pay, step down and get a better job. Make way for someone who isn't in it for the money. MPs receive a generous pay and benefits for a civil servant.

You could, if they were requesting the pay rise. Most MPs aren't in it for the money. I certainly wouldn't call their package generous compared to other high level civil servants.

It's well known that 'low' pay for high level civil servants causes corruption.

I personally think many complainers about MPs salaries are jealous or have allowed their judgement to be compromised by the sleazy press. If they don't like their MP it is easy enough to campaign and stand for election themselves.
edit on 12/7/2013 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

I agree with you. £74,000 a year is not enough to live on? Not to mention the expenses and the scandals surrounding them!

The only things they seem to be doing lately are harming the economy and the uk. I just pray they don't privatise the nhs and royal mail,

JB

top topics

<< 1   >>

join