It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some new Surreal Abstract creations to share

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
Aliquandro don't play!! Gah...man...your stuff CAPTIVATES me!! Almost freaks me out sometimes...are you "alone" in creating this? Or do you connect with some spirits and collaborate!!?

Vincent would have you over for tea and conversation, I'm totally con-Vince-ed!

I have to wonder myself if I am responsible for what I create. I get weird feelings I'm not exactly 'alone' when I am in my zone. I tend to have strange breathing patterns as well as visual distortion (I have macular problems so I shrug it off) but I DO have to be inspired to want to paint, and once I'm in I'm IN (2-3 hrs minimum and 50% of that time is just staring and figuring where the pattern is off).

I would buy Vincent a lifetime's worth of tea for inspiring me, for I have already been more rewarded that he was during his life. So tragic, but makes me so thankful right now!

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
"Big Agra", "Here's Where it Gets Weird" & the 1st one hold my attention longer. This matters because a painting shoud make me want to spend time. These ones seem to have a purposeful hand in not just line, but in composition & color, & application of that color. It is important for a painting to have a 'reason' for being a 'painting', and not an illustration or drawing.
Must add before furher crit: It is understood that viewing on screen is not ideal. We (u & me) know this. We understand the limitation. That being said
What can you do with color... and just color?
What can you do with physical quality of paint?
What can you do with passive space?

I had more thoughts but ManIt'sLate/Early. Got to log off now but please message me sometime in the coming weeks to remind me to look at the art you have posted online. Like to see the progression.

Thank you for the request to view/comment.

I am a painter & 2D medium artist but not an illustrator, (by choice)

posted on Oct, 9 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

kkrattiger
"Big Agra", "Here's Where it Gets Weird" & the 1st one hold my attention longer. This matters because a painting shoud make me want to spend time. These ones seem to have a purposeful hand in not just line, but in composition & color, & application of that color. It is important for a painting to have a 'reason' for being a 'painting', and not an illustration or drawing.
Must add before furher crit: It is understood that viewing on screen is not ideal. We (u & me) know this. We understand the limitation. That being said
What can you do with color... and just color?
What can you do with physical quality of paint?
What can you do with passive space?

I had more thoughts but ManIt'sLate/Early. Got to log off now but please message me sometime in the coming weeks to remind me to look at the art you have posted online. Like to see the progression.

Thank you for the request to view/comment.

I am a painter & 2D medium artist but not an illustrator, (by choice)

Thank you very much for responding and critiquing my work, and for your input.

I am always slightly disappointed in the photos since you just can never capture the color or depth accurately, but I do take color as a serious task, as it line and overall composition.

I do not venture into the world of empty space or lineless color much, I tend towards kinetic and chaotic enclosures. I crop my subject so it leaves the space and makes you feel like a voyeur or wanting more. Hungry is good.

The quality of paint using oils on canvas is amazing. There is forgiveness and odd blending qualities that keep me intensely interested in continuing this adventure. Painting over other mediums or on odd surfaces only makes it more unique. I am learning new styles even recently as I have taken to painting over old paintings, some with heavy texture, but mostly my work is fairly flat brushstrokes.

The passive space work I'm sure I'd have to tackle if I was properly schooled in this, but my work, my STYLE, is heavily textured and will likely stay that way. I love thatch work and engraving styles and heavy lines, but using oils and a more painterly style brings it so over the top for me, I just love the work I'm doing now. I feel like me and incredibly liberated and honest when I paint.

My current work has gone back to the industrial mechanical abstracts for 7-10 pieces then I may do some more fish, because they are fun and people relate to them

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

That's so synchronistic for me! I am only now getting to know the new mobile device interface for ATS. This is the first Ive seen the Replies to Posts section in My Account. So that's why the delay. I am in the middle of painting a fish!

I also experienced something new with painting last night. Id put a couple layers of cheap acrylic down on an oiled hardboard (tempered masonite; it has a slight oil content but I still lay a ground w acrylic &'ve never had a problem) Anyways, I like to sand the surface but this time I didnt. Id used my finger to smooth the 2nd acrylic coat into the first. This left fingerprint ridges swirl patterns. Instead of painting on this prepared surface, a sudden mind to sketch in charcoal & pastel w/conte crayon. The charcoal left lovely "imprint" effect, adhering more to the lower levels of the textured ground.
I used aerosol hairspray as a fixatif, which softened the sketcch lines.
I am going to try to go off now & learn to upload imgs in order to show you.
Pls stay tuned

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
reply to post by Aliquandro

I always try to make sure artists know their work is appreciated because most people don't have the vocabulary necessary to describe what it is about art that they like or dislike. At least in the US I've found that to be the case, maybe in Europe people get a decent education about the arts.

Well-put. I agree, how many of my friends & acquaintances can offer more than a cursory "I like it"? Less than one would expect, as an artist. (Im not part of a "community" of artists).
I must admit it is probably a comfort & handicap, the art illitiracy of society around me. Else I'd be called out as an unproductive, inconsistent armchair fine art hobbyist.

I found out how to upload pics! Here is one of the little sketch from last night:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Beautiful stuff

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Nice! Nice! Nice! I love love your work. Are these painted by brush? If so what kind of paint,? Acrylic or oil? What do you like to work with best and why?
edit on 21-11-2013 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

Thank you so much for your comment Humble, I am honored you enjoy them. Apologies for the delayed reply, I have had busy work schedule and an ailing computer which I finally fixed.

I paint with traditional oils on canvas, using mostly round smaller brushes. I treat my brushes badly so I sometimes switch to flats since its all I have.

What do I like to work with best? Inspiration. Being inspired is the only friend I have as an artist, and sometimes it gets lonely. But I love to work on medium to small canvases lately, and have taken to painting over badly rendered thrift store paintings (that usually already have frames, or a base composition I paint over and sometimes let parts remain).

I work figurative but the last 2 years has been a journey into abstract and surreal, and sometimes both. But I like perspective and color, and bold line work.

My past few months I have been working on about 18 new semi abstract mechanical/machine pieces. Lots of silver and blues, rusty browns, some kinetic elements. But mostly they seem like surreal/abstract pipeworks, and make no sense whatsoever. Just challenges for your eyes, mechanical eye candy.

Now that I have most of my new work photo'd and a functional PC I should be able to post a new thread with my new work. I will be sure let you and some of the ATS community know when that happens.

Thanks again for your input and comments, it is wonderful as an artist to hear both good and bad input.

posted on Dec, 6 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kkrattiger

Your work is interesting and has a great use of texture with a subtle palette, unlike how I use color. You have a unique style and I thank you for sharing this lovely piece

I have actually retired my 20+ year old palette and created a new one, seeing how the old one weighed over 5 lbs and is 3 inches thick of semi dried oil paints.

I may have it framed and sell it off if I ever get famous, oh wait, that aint happening. LOL!

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I really love the essence you add to your work, I can see it throughout almost all the ones I've seen so far. I love abstract art like this and the others I saw, your style really draws my eyes in.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliquandro

I really enjoyed the second one with the reds/yellows/oranges hues. It has kind of like a Phoenix rising thing going on.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Wow, fabulous stuff! Your work has a lovely appearance of texture and really glows, too cool

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Thank you Skalla!

I have been doing a bunch more of these surreal landscapes as they seem to sell very well in nicer venues. I sold 2 at the Massage spa they were hanging at for 4 months, now they are at a fancy hair salon in a financial district and I've already sold another!

I need to start threads for every single series I have at some point, share the love

It really feels good to have all the hard work start paying off

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

You are fulfilling a dream and capitalizing from it, and that is a wonderful accomplishment in its own right. I applaud you for your artistic and entrepreneurial spirit. Your hard work is paying off. Dont give up. This America needs more people like yourself. Determined and motivated.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join