It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some new Surreal Abstract creations to share

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
It has been well over a year since I posted a thread of some art I had created up til that point, mostly figurative and illustrative and some basic abstract: Link

This is an update since then, since I have been inspired by some members posts and artwork as have been producing way too much art not to share, and this thread will get graphic heavy and I apologize if I can't figure out how to re-size or align them properly (mods feel free to clean up if you want).

I tried working with very simple palette and shapes for a change:

Then from there I wandered from simple palette to more surreal, fluid lines:

Colors deepened a bit but still I'm holding back from throwing every color on there:

Then I hit a weird spot:

and kept going:

and going:

and going:

There are MANY more, but the point is made.

At this stage I'm feeling good with it but sorta antsy like I haven't achieved something yet. I have something major to learn still (I always will) and it hasn't happened but I'm determined.

I do something odd and pick up some half finished older figurative pieces, pieces with powerful but negative statements. The kind most people wouldn't pay money to put on their walls.
The very first art victim to get "cannibalized" is a demonic cell phone statement with money symbols, it turns into this:

There are still traces of the original image still imbedded (it is now sideways), but they blend into a completely new abstract image

Next on the chopping block is a horribly tacky and colorful but FLAT abstract, I introduce it to German silver and cubism/industrial:

a figurative anti big agra piece turns abstract:

an anti car phone piece that I already tried to rework turns into crazy surreal/abstract :

another flat abstract gets more surreal and textured, at this point all lines are heavy black and bold:

and then another anti big agra piece turns into a bizarre surreal underwater landscape:

Finally as an artist I am finally there... I have created work I am terribly proud of, mostly that last one crazy piece is the big fat cherry on my sundae. This last series of "do overs" have taught me a wonderful and valuable lesson; to create a much simpler and bolder image, one that can be seen from a good distance and hold your attention firmly. Working from a blank canvas does not give much to a unique composition, and most likely never will. But when I took an existing figurative image and rotate it, then try to transform it next into a new image utilizing some of the same composition, it transformed me in many ways.

My suggestion to any artist who feels blocked, go to a thrift store and buy a few very cheap and simple paintings, then try to make them better (turn them, or change the style, but try to work with existing elements and let it help you).

I'll leave you with one last fun little piece that is just finished, I call him "droid with sippy cup"

I have a few more I can post once I get a decent photo of them

Thanks for looking ATS! you entertain me quite a bit, so my turn to give back!

edit on 10-7-2013 by Aliquandro because: adding some spacing for images

edit on 10-7-2013 by Aliquandro because: typo

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliquandro

Thanks for sharing. There's a lot of work in there. I particularly like one of the browns. You'll never see any of my stuff though. Oh I tried, but the talent is just not in me.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Those images are great and certainly unique, at least to me. If all else fails, you could make a ton marketing a funky bedspread line....Seriously! It was a hoot to view

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Fantastic art! Job well done.

Love the Sippy cup Droid.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Man, your stuff never fails to MOVE me! Loved 'em ALL. The second hit me like a ton of bricks. Wish I could just have them floating around me in bed tonight, I could really groove and chill. Outstanding.

ETA: Had to go back and dig them all again.

edit on 11-7-2013 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I'm very glad you like... and the browns/reds/oranges are all seeming to mix well for me lately. I've been told they are eating colors

If you were inspired to create art and you felt like you failed, all I can say is if you are still inspired, you should keep trying... maybe just keep changing mediums/styles/formats. There are always people who would enjoy encouraging you, and for good reason. Some of the best art happens by accident and by folks who really didn't intend it.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

Unique is one of the better compliments you can hope to achieve in art, thank you minkmouse!

I actually spent a few years just after I started painting working as a texture artist for video game assets. The job was making patterns that tiled nicely and looked organic. This has spilled into my paintings as you noticed
I would be curious if the textile industry would dig my stuff, if so I owe you thanks!

and thank you again for your kind words

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetstuff

I'm very pleased you like him, so here's his pal, Dr. Sputnik:

thank you sweetstuff for the positive input, it makes it easier to keep painting knowing others enjoy it!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Ahhhh Gut, I always admire and appreciate your insight and honesty on every topic.. and I consider you one of my friends here, because we are both moved by this reality, and we have both had reality-changing life experiences that affected us. I will tell my story very soon thanks much to your encouraging thread: Time to Come Clean: I'm an Abductee!!

For you sir, if you liked my Phoenix piece in red then this piece might be just for you, it was a very flat and clunky geometry piece I gave depth and some smoothness and texture to, and made it 3x bolder:

and I'm sure I sent you my deviantart link, but its updated now. If anyone is interested feel free to U2U me.

Thank you brother!!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

It sent literal electric chills up and down my spine looking at it! Happens rarely, but when it does it's always been a piece that I love for life.

Is it for sale? I WILL own at least one Aliquandro some day!!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing! I really enjoyed these. I wouldn't mind hanging these on my walls.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Thank you Gut! I sorta thought that piece might speak to you. Some of my new pieces do a bit of a visual puzzle, which keeps your eyes locked on but still moving about. I think Escher knew about this, he inspired me much when I was younger.

And yes every single piece is available for sale/trade/barter, except the silver one which I just sold last night! YAY!! But if you're serious Gut, you know how to get ahold of me and ill work you the friend deal brother

Calstrom, thank you very much for your kind words and interest! I hope you enjoy my collection on deviant. I will be fine tuning the galleries and adding sizes and titles to as much as I can. I am even digging through all my older art and making sure I have good images posted.

Art is supposed to be seen at any cost (especially free! that's why I post them even on a conspiracy site), and not hidden in my closet.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Wow Aliquandro, these are wonderful! I went back and looked at your older work and I can see a marvelous progression towards simplicity and abstraction - yet you keep them complicated enough to be entertaining to the eye. It;s a tricky balance to find and I'd say you've done it.
Great to see the effort you've put in, you put a lot of thought in to what you do. On the flipside there is a playfulness as well. I think you really dig having paint on the brush and it shows in your work. If I were a collector I'd be buying some of your work right now.
I think you have arrived and are ready to go find a gallery to represent you. , you've remained true to your vision and have a unique style that they can promote. I love all your work here - each piece has it own universe going on.
I'm happy if my comments on your earlier work helped you in any way. It's damn good work and you should be proud of them.
Thanks for sharing !

edit on 14-7-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Man! These are freaking sweet! Great job! I always love artwork that I can look at for hours. This is right up my alley. Love the ones where you added a lot of different colors. I've always been criticized for using colors that clash, but I can't help it. I figure if people/ teachers think it sucks, I must be on the right track!

Awesome stuff, really.

-dbd

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Some really great stuff here, I think you are doing a great job.

In particular, I like the "and kept going" one and the first anti big agra.

"and kept going" pulled me in whether I wanted it to or not, and I kept finding layers. The colors are inviting and the shapes soothing, but together they demand attention.

Anti big agra 1 was immediately recognizable as a farm piece, but after that first half second, it dissolved into another reality. Great play on perception.

Thanks for bringing your art into the world.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Hey bro thanks for giving me the heads up man these are all really rad man I starred a few times did a little flagging I dont see one that I cannot say i do not like I hope these go up for a good coin in places all over thank you for sharing with me, when I have new stuff I want to expose ATS too Ill be sure to return the favor bro

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Really intense work. I love the movement and the color. They almost vibrate. I love the Phoenix looking one, and the car phone, but all of them are great to look at. What is your medium? Some of them have many layers with an almost lace-like background. Very nice. Your babies are beautiful.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Wow Aliquandro, these are wonderful! I went back and looked at your older work and I can see a marvelous progression towards simplicity and abstraction - yet you keep them complicated enough to be entertaining to the eye. It;s a tricky balance to find and I'd say you've done it.
Great to see the effort you've put in, you put a lot of thought in to what you do. On the flipside there is a playfulness as well. I think you really dig having paint on the brush and it shows in your work. If I were a collector I'd be buying some of your work right now.
I think you have arrived and are ready to go find a gallery to represent you. , you've remained true to your vision and have a unique style that they can promote. I love all your work here - each piece has it own universe going on.
I'm happy if my comments on your earlier work helped you in any way. It's damn good work and you should be proud of them.
Thanks for sharing !

edit on 14-7-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

I am beyond appreciative for these words! ATA you are truly amazing for going back and even seeing the big picture and the progression. Humbled and Honored are two words that come close to the feelings I have.

Your previous words had a big impact on me as well, they were some of the most honest critique I have ever had from someone I trust. Whether I succeed or fail horribly I will always appreciate and remember your input.

Thank you deeply for taking the time to write these words!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by denybedoomed

Man! These are freaking sweet! Great job! I always love artwork that I can look at for hours. This is right up my alley. Love the ones where you added a lot of different colors. I've always been criticized for using colors that clash, but I can't help it. I figure if people/ teachers think it sucks, I must be on the right track!

Awesome stuff, really.

-dbd

Thank you for the great compliments! A ton of colors is always welcome to me, but they still have order where they want to go. Just because two opposing colors are together doesn't meant they clash.

I spend probably 10x more time staring and contemplating what line/shape/color goes where than I do actually painting, still so much fun!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

I've been working or trying to work as an artist since I was 17, that was 36 years ago now. Did some shows, did gallery stuff, worked as engraver then taught elementary art for a while. I love art and teaching it to kids was the best thing ever. They have so much to teach us through their work. It wasn't until then that truly understood or appreciated abstraction. I've always worked in realism so it wasn't easy.

Working with kids you have to find what they're looking for in their own work, what it is and how they want to express it. I think you're strength is an innocence and youthfulness that radiates in your work. Hang on to that, it serves you well. I see a style that's very original which is really tough to do. Your compositions are good, you're use of color is good, I can't find anything to criticize and say "that part doesn't work" or "maybe this should be strengthened, blah blah".

Any compliments from me are well deserved. That is a lot of hard work you show us and it took even more just to get to where you are. I always try to make sure artists know their work is appreciated because most people don't have the vocabulary necessary to describe what it is about art that they like or dislike. At least in the US I've found that to be the case, maybe in Europe people get a decent education about the arts.

All I can say is keep posting as you do new stuff, I would love to see them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join