It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video game starship worth $9,000 destroyed in ambush

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Ah yes stopped playing those type of games as it was getting kind of redundant and boring and it was going to much like real world. Once they started implementing trade systems like the real world it sort of kills the fun, and things get as fun as the real world. That is you have scamers, the company itself selling digital items for real money, monthly fees, even a whole market which people trade digital items in which can be manipulated and is, with people actually trade and barter in real $$, thats not to mention the bots and the chinese farmers who play those games constantly and in some instances sell digital credit for real credit, some of which make more doing that then if they actually had a real job. Whatever a real job is
as in the real world its pretty much the same thing which is why you have a guy throwing a ball for millions of $$ and the guy which actually does something which society need which gets paid .001, of what they would make, and thats not including the big boys or real world scams which would pale by comparison the digital ones.

Such as the old scam they always got around, now a days forget what there called. You know bail out or the more popular ones of currency dept, like they sort of tried with Greece or virtually any other country around the globe. You know the one, or at least how it goes, sort of like how the guy got his 9.000k # blow up by false information and a spy infiltration in the link in the eve game.

It mirrors the real world pretty precise sometimes, for instant. Lets say your a big honcho you make a group of honchos you call them the UN or unilateral comity or any there by fancy names take your pick, after which you pick a country who is a little in the tubes but has commodities which are of value in the over all makert, you come up to them and say you seen this before and there going to be going down the tubes. So you set your spies and medias and propagandists to work flooding the net and airwaves with a similar story, after which said country believes it.

So you go back to them and say "look your about to be in dept and your economy will collapse we seen it before" I mean never mind that its been working fine for thousands of years
But you know must stay in character. Anyways after which you get there leaders or the guberment to agree to terms it would help if you had a few agents there in government but what really helps is if there governing people and leaders are idiots or even better greedy, and then presto you give them money to rebuilt.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
OK ran out of words. But anyways some people take this sort of thing real serious, and the guy from the link he probably could sell his battleship for that much real money online, I seen it though not for that much, and believe you me somebody or some people would buy it. In a way its kind of like the gambler mentality, you know the guy who goes out and beets all even when he knows the house is stacked against you, games become more thrilling to a lot of people if there is some real world incentive, even when they would know its fixed.

And games are becoming more sophisticated and technology is becoming more powerful, in some of these games you could literally spend years and years being immersed in them. Companies off course see this and try to take advantage of it as well as everybody else. In some ways if things like virtual reality or really high power computers shows up you can literally supplant the life of the people in such a way, and its already being done a smaller scale, even in this website its a form of that, and moneymaker, generating energy. Or as its put in the matrix, turning a human into a battery.

Most things in this world are exactly that, and videogames are just a mirror of that fact. I personally only tried EVE online once, I got bored of it in a few hours as its not my thing, but I see were it can be an addiction thing. But personally any game which after a time you have to put so much attention and time into eventually becomes not a game anymore, in some cases it literally becomes a job after you got off your real world job. I know many people who after they get off that all they do straight to the computer and in to there digital worlds, and yes as that becomes more proliferate and the tech and games become more real and powerful hardware and software wise, your bound to see a lot more of that. Because lets face it real life is kind of boring and sucks.

And literally people life in different dimensions in there heads but are not aware of it, this is just another dimenshion which people would live in, one of which would generate energy on a planetary scale if done right, in fact its been done before. There are many outlets for the mind to tinker with while the whole generates energy for somebody or some entities, work corporations and everything in between are exactly that, and some videogames literally become a job after a time.
And when virtual reality or higher tech is introduced to bind the brain mind and tech together into a fantasy world. Over generations and time it would create a society were the real world is an extremely vague thing, were the meaning of real could literally mean what club you belong to in your digital world, worse then belonging to the republicans or democrats or this or that social class and much more powerful effect worldwide, because frankly the brain is in all effect just a receiver, and what it receives becomes its world and whole existence, were in the mind being a bit more complicated there in exists.

And yes there would be no distinguish between digital items and real world items for a lot of people, it could even become a sort of drug. I mean less powerful things have had more of an impact, even in video games and social constructs that is true and you can see that each and every day.

But ya really the guy fell for the oldest trick in the book. Now his fancy spaceship is all gone and blown to pieces.

edit on 28-8-2013 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arnie123

Originally posted by wrabbit2000
reply to post by Arnie123

Do you have a point to make or just throwing a one liner out because you thought it sounded cool in your ears?

(It didn't, by the way)

the one liner sounded pretty cool, what other point can you make about a guy who spends 9000 plus on an in game item???
(It did, by the way)

Actually... a one liner response is against T&C. It isn't cute. It's ignorant and that kind of crap is part of what has been bringing ATS down in a major way. When I arrived in 2011, that childish nonsense would have gotten a post removed without much question about it happening.

Now people think it's cute.
Oh how times have changed and in such a short time too. It's sad to watch happen.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I played eve for a month and flew only cheap ships into low sec space anticipating they may be wacked and easily replaced.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Well, one has to imagine that the $9000 ship wasn't paid in cash, at least not entirely. I'm sure that maybe $50-$100 was paid with real money but I doubt someone went out and spent that much on a ship. I read TFA a long time ago so I'm basing this off of memory but the ship is estimated to be valued at that amount, in other words the player's time and effort that went into building that ship cost that much. However I don't really know what pay scale they determine this, maybe on the value that it can be sold part by part on ebay or something?

If you make $8/hr and you play a game for 700 hours, your account is technically worth $5,600. I don't know how they determine the cost of in-game-items but I'd imagine it's closer to the cost of finding the item and minimum wage.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

No.

Its all based off of Plex, which is what 15 bucks? which is what 54million in game currency?

the ship was worth 9,000 dollars, or I think 340billion in game?
edit on 1-9-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

I see, thanks for informing me!

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
I was having a hard time imagining the $9,000 game ship until I got to the end of the source article to find mention of the record holder for video game vs. real world value. A $350,000 Space Station in 'Entropia'? (Never heard of that game)

Geeze... and I thought I spent too much time in FFXI and Everquest II awhile back. I was a rank amateur, still green in the gills compared to those guys. $350k for a game object value? Really? Tooooooo much free time.

Entropia Universe has a "micro economy".
Their currency is DIRECTLY tied to the
RL currencys... Mainly the dollar...
The Space station is a place were
OTHER players can go and do stuff
like hunting, mining, crafting and so on...
Whatever they "make" in value, the OWNER
of the station gets a cut..

Not unlike the real world...So in regards of your
comment, to much free time... Not really...
They just spend THEIR time on things THEY like...
JUST like you..

Now, i have played EU.. ALOT...
And imho, its a LOTTERY GAME...
You never KNOW, if you´ll MAKE money..
BUT, you definatly know you´ll be spending it...

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I tried to play this game Eve Online, but it was so difficult I couldn't even pass the tutorial and get my space ship.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join