It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video game starship worth $9,000 destroyed in ambush

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Ahh my bad.

So he lost nothing then. Titles misleading I guess, as no cash was lost..

Much like when I level up in cod, and then lose my profile.. all that hard work reset.

oh well, that's a relief!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I thought I spent too much time in FFXI

You probably the 2nd FFXI player i met on ATS. interesting.

i played it for 8 Yrs O.O. 2003-2011.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

It is a small world. Were you by chance on Valefor as the server? That was our little home away from home. I finally left FFXI when I tried every possible method I could imagine to Solo beyond about 30 and failed ...utterly. Talk about a game that requires grouping. Not bad...if decent groups could be found but yikes! That was one bad bad game from training aggro right past other groups to leave a zone and laugh while the train decimated the people it has gone through the middle of.

Still... It was a great game. Remember! All roads lead to Juno!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Wow, that definitely RAGEQUIT material.

nine-thousands smackers, obliterated. I'm sure it was a beautiful sight.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Yeah that game is one of the best nostalgia ever... cap items...road to jeuno...airship pass...jungle....goblin aggro... etc etc...

i spend about 5 yrs in pure HNM linkshell.. so finding good players from my linkshell was not hard....

I obtained maybe 90% of all the game items.. was on the top 10 on the server during 2005. but i can understand why it would be hard to form groups in the early levels,.. it was tough.. seeking for hours..

I was on Alexander(2003-2006), Caitsith(2006-2008), Asura(2008-2011).... when i left i had...300million + my character was worth $1,200...... didn't sell it.. its still there
... now it probably worth crap.

I am actually trying out the FFXIV online beta now... but im not a teenager anymore... full time job, have to pay bills lol
edit on 7/11/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I have always been tempted to try eve.....

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
you know whats crazy ?

streaming games, man theres goes some big bucks right there

i even heared of a guy streaming world of warcraft gotten 40.000 dollar of a donation

found it, ill qoute but leave the gamers synonyms out

"Some fine gentleman from Dubai just donated 10k Dollars to *** while streaming.

earlier he donated 40k to *** and another 10k to *** "

Not bad for playing a game with your webcam on

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
My room-mate plays Eve, the article was basically right, it is the biggest starship in the game, and it has only been out for a bit - there are only three in the game. However, there is a more expensive ship, some kind of heavily-armored fighter, bomber or tanker I think?
edit on 11-7-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Playing online games is a great way to meet other people and network, actually. When Diablo 3 first came out, I was about a week behind the head of the pack and the people I ran with over Skype included Professional Starcraft 2 and League of Legends players. One of them is teaching me game design. :-)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Yeah totally, it is based on in-game work. :-)
However, the exchange-rate exists because there are websites that do offer cash-for-isk, etc.

Which is why Diablo III decided to offer a legitimate marketplace for cash / gold exchange, etc. I actually think it was a smart move in retrospect.

But at the time, a lot of players were pretty upset because it broke away from the Diablo II tradition and made the game pay-to-play -

Although, interestingly, I think making a legitimate cash shop must have greatly lowered the gold to cash exchange rate - so there is something to the pay-to-play argument.
edit on 11-7-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

I find it amazing that people question why someone would spend that much on a virtual item in a game yet never question the enormous amount of junk people buy on a regular basis that gives them no entertainment or real world value. Everything people buy is of frivolous value if it doesn't serve our basic needs.

With that said, I feel sorry for the owner of such a virtual battleship, I bet he feels like those who had bought into the real estate bubble right before it burst. If he had only sold it....

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

I thought I spent too much time in FFXI

You probably the 2nd FFXI player i met on ATS. interesting.

i played it for 8 Yrs O.O. 2003-2011.

I played FFXI for a few months, but it was so hard finding a party .... got boring fast in the dunes.

I have a friend who layed from launch til the end - he goes by many names, but Bellith, Durzo are his mains. Such a good game and I'm really looking forward to playing XIV after toying about with the beta.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by pstrron
I wonder if this gamer has learned what a waste of time, money and effort it was to do this. Tough way to learn the lesson if they learn it at all. Sadly, some people plan their whole lives around a game or TV program.

Read the title again.

He put $9000 of real world cash into it.

He has absolutely NO concept of the worth of money. He has too much of it. He has it to turn into pixels that get turned off each night. He has no idea.

Crikey, I try to MAKE money by doing fruitless things with my computer.. but I'm building a boat while I'm drowning in that endeavour, so it's pointless. You need to have money to make money, or in this case.. piss it away on a flippin' game!!!

I hate him. And the guy wit the $350,000 thing. Buy me a car that doesn't over heat and a house with a roof that don't leak.. I'll do things on a webcam for you that would make your pretend spaceship look really boring

I know im kinda necroing this thread, but there is like a 99% chance or more that he didnt use RL money to buy the ship, you can make that money in game, his alliance built the ship, and to the specific alliance to which this player belonged 300b in game dollars is pennies. The dollar figure comes from conversion, bexause yes you can buy ingame money, but only indirectly, you buy a Game time card, and it can be used to extend your prescription without having to pay rl money, if your good enough, you dont hqve to pay anything to play the game which usually costs 15 a month per account, its a really ingenious way the game developers made to allow this to happen, and it gives us that nifty conversion.

In short, this guy didnt buy 9000 dollars worth of ingame time to fly the ship, his alliance probably got the blueprint drop or just bought with ingame made ingame money which is not that hard when talking about PL. Cool your horses, lol

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I was having a hard time imagining the $9,000 game ship until I got to the end of the source article to find mention of the record holder for video game vs. real world value. A $350,000 Space Station in 'Entropia'? (Never heard of that game)

Geeze... and I thought I spent too much time in FFXI and Everquest II awhile back. I was a rank amateur, still green in the gills compared to those guys. $350k for a game object value? Really? Tooooooo much free time.

--
LOL says the guy with 20,000 plus posts....

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

Do you have a point to make or just throwing a one liner out because you thought it sounded cool in your ears?

(It didn't, by the way)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

A lot of members have that many posts. You seemed surprised by this? When you really shouldn't be...

-SAP-

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I thought I was at least going to get to see a nine thousand dollar 3D model.
I am guessing none of the folks involved in this have a sun tan.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrabbit2000

Do you have a point to make or just throwing a one liner out because you thought it sounded cool in your ears?

(It didn't, by the way)

the one liner sounded pretty cool, what other point can you make about a guy who spends 9000 plus on an in game item???
(It did, by the way)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

A lot of members have that many posts. You seemed surprised by this? When you really shouldn't be...

-SAP-

and...????
I would say 25% have that many post, that doesn't constitute a lot.
Would you spend 9000 on an in-game item?
I've must of spent at least a more then a couple of grand on video games as a whole, but never on one little item, that's how google play gets you on their "Free" games, the in-game items cost money.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Hell no I wouldn't spend $9,000 on anything that isn't real...

I'm sure it happened over a period of time though and didn't actually spend that much.

-SAP-

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join