It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video game starship worth $9,000 destroyed in ambush

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Found this article on Yahoo today and thought I would share it with you guys. pretty crazy and would suck to be this dude after all that work. I never played EVE Online but knew people who have and this would take literally years to accomplish...

Imagine spending years devoting your time and your finances to acquiring an impressive video game spaceship, one of the biggest and most valuable the gaming world has ever seen. Now imagine all of that work being destroyed in minutes.

One player of the long-running online game EVE Online experienced that horror Sunday, when an ambush destroyed his supercarrier valued at a whopping $9,000.

The massive world of EVE Online is all about buying, piloting and blowing up spaceships. It’s not for the faint at heart, in part because its in-game currency, called ISK (Interstellar Kredits), carries a real-world value. The Revenant -- one of only three ships that big in existence -- carries a value of 309 billion ISK, making it among the priciest bits of code in the game.

games.yahoo.com...

-SAP-
edit on 10-7-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I was having a hard time imagining the $9,000 game ship until I got to the end of the source article to find mention of the record holder for video game vs. real world value. A $350,000 Space Station in 'Entropia'? (Never heard of that game)

Geeze... and I thought I spent too much time in FFXI and Everquest II awhile back. I was a rank amateur, still green in the gills compared to those guys. $350k for a game object value? Really? Tooooooo much free time.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No question there. Waaaaaay to much time.

I like games and I get how people can become addicted to them...

But c'mon... $9,000 really...?

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Imagine spending years devoting your time and your finances to acquiring an impressive video game spaceship, one of the biggest and most valuable the gaming world has ever seen. Now imagine all of that work being destroyed in minutes.

I wonder if this gamer has learned what a waste of time, money and effort it was to do this. Tough way to learn the lesson if they learn it at all. Sadly, some people plan their whole lives around a game or TV program.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I miss my Megathron...

That would have been a cool battle to witness! Used to love huge battles like that! I was in a mining corp as strategic defense and training. Most recruits knew me as mean female navy vet who would not hesitate blowing up a teammates ship to make a object lesson. LOL

Of course I often had several lower class ships I would give them if they learned their lessons...
edit on 10-7-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No question there. Waaaaaay to much time.

I like games and I get how people can become addicted to them...

But c'mon... $9,000 really...?

-SAP-

You would be surprised how much money there is to be made from video games such as these.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I'm just curious for anyone who has played Eve, which I never got to even loading for all I know of it. How big and how long would a battle like this be? The story seems to indicate it was a small fleet that was suckered into the ambush and this Super-Carrier was only one among other ships. So, I'm imagining something like the 'Battle of Wolf 359' in Star Trek for chaos and carnage?

Sounds like quite a scene...and that guy must have gotten so blasted drunk afterward he didn't know the name of the ship he lost. lol... I wouldn't' have blamed him anyway.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Is there a clip of this epic-'ness battle of a spaceship being destroyed worth 9K too eve?

Ive only heard talk of eve - myself.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
lol its what happens when you buy accounts
My self have 7 years of EvE game play have some really nice ships, But to pay 9k for a super carrier idk how much bs that is cause i for one would not spend real life money for something that can be mined salvaged and farmed for materials, and then built with alts that can easily be payed for with in-game isk. But then again i have not played Eve for about a year now so it might have gotten expensive. 0.0 is much fun
edit on 10-7-2013 by Legion2024 because: 11:11

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
That is so awesome...

I really wanted to get into EVE but when I tried it I quickly realized being new in that game is completely pointless.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Y3K89
Is there a clip of this epic-'ness battle of a spaceship being destroyed worth 9K too eve?

Ive only heard talk of eve - myself.

I couldn't find a video of it. It would be awesome to see it though.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
That is so awesome...

I really wanted to get into EVE but when I tried it I quickly realized being new in that game is completely pointless.

na not at all, 4 months of play and you can pvp like a mofo anywhere, Sure the learning curve steep, my first pvp kill i had at most 10mil sp and blew up a 30mil sp player or like alot of other just buy a 40mil sp toon

My self have 5 accounts all with over 60mil sp

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

Me too- havn't found anything yet- if i do ill post it here first. Such an event had too of been well planned out before - Somebody in the group sure too have a video somehow... id hope-so

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Y3K89

I know I would have. It would be the proof of the kill...

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I'm just curious for anyone who has played Eve, which I never got to even loading for all I know of it. How big and how long would a battle like this be? The story seems to indicate it was a small fleet that was suckered into the ambush and this Super-Carrier was only one among other ships. So, I'm imagining something like the 'Battle of Wolf 359' in Star Trek for chaos and carnage?

Sounds like quite a scene...and that guy must have gotten so blasted drunk afterward he didn't know the name of the ship he lost. lol... I wouldn't' have blamed him anyway.

I am extremely surprised that that ship was lost but there are EPIC battles in EVE

I was in few closer to this size.

Mostly though I was part of team defending assets rarely did we go on the offensive. If you ever wanted to play a game that would put you in a battle like Wolf359 then EVE is the game. But if you think you get to be a rookie and fly in and blast away you can but you will die quickly.

Just like the Battle of Wolf359 you must have some skills honed from years of service in StarFleet, that is why EVE is such a time killer. I spent a year in EVE and enjoyed much of it.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Here is the video on the Reverent Kill...you are warned seeing it like this is a bit boring...
This is more like a commander view.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Honestly, it's hard to tell whats going on there.

-SAP-

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by pstrron
I wonder if this gamer has learned what a waste of time, money and effort it was to do this. Tough way to learn the lesson if they learn it at all. Sadly, some people plan their whole lives around a game or TV program.

Read the title again.

He put $9000 of real world cash into it.

He has absolutely NO concept of the worth of money. He has too much of it. He has it to turn into pixels that get turned off each night. He has no idea.

Crikey, I try to MAKE money by doing fruitless things with my computer.. but I'm building a boat while I'm drowning in that endeavour, so it's pointless. You need to have money to make money, or in this case.. piss it away on a flippin' game!!!

I hate him. And the guy wit the $350,000 thing. Buy me a car that doesn't over heat and a house with a roof that don't leak.. I'll do things on a webcam for you that would make your pretend spaceship look really boring

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by pstrron

Read the title again.

He put $9000 of real world cash into it.

He has absolutely NO concept of the worth of money. He has too much of it. He has it to turn into pixels that get turned off each night. He has no idea.

Crikey, I try to MAKE money by doing fruitless things with my computer.. but I'm building a boat while I'm drowning in that endeavour, so it's pointless. You need to have money to make money, or in this case.. piss it away on a flippin' game!!!

I hate him. And the guy wit the $350,000 thing. Buy me a car that doesn't over heat and a house with a roof that don't leak.. I'll do things on a webcam for you that would make your pretend spaceship look really boring

Incorrect, he did NOT spend 9,000 RL USD for the ship, thats what it would have cost FOR the ISK's IF he paid USD FOR it, it was the time and effort he put into building it

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The nature of war exists in all mediums. He was a tangible target for 9000 reasons in that realm.

Best comment on that video

what is this?? a game for ants??

zoolander ref.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join