It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It wasn't that long ago that the USA was like "those other countries" we talk about here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Vintage NASA rejection letter says sorry, girls can't be astronauts

Yep, we were ass backwards not long ago, also... albeit not to the extreme as some places, but still reading this now makes one shake their head a bit and wonder how did we make it this far?

Sorry ladies, there's no place for your ovaries in space. That was essentially the message that a would-be female astronaut got from NASA in 1962. In this letter posted to Reddit, a University of Connecticut student identified as "Miss Kelly" wrote to the agency presumably to ask how she could become an astronaut. "Your offer to go on a space mission is commendable," public information director O.B. Lloyd, Jr. responded. "We have no existing program concerning women astronauts, nor do we contemplate any such plan." Harsh. (Maybe Lloyd didn't think there were kitchens in space?) We'd like to think that Miss Kelly smiled from ear to ambitious ear when Sally Ride went into space in 1983.

Well, women are equals in everything now (or are able to go for it!) yeah! You go women!

source: now.msn.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Well, women are equals in everything now (or are able to go for it!) yeah!

Hate to say it but women still are not treated as equals. On average women are still paid less than men for doing the same job.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Howdy!

Yes, your right! That's why I added, "or are able to go for it", odds are they can fight this sort of thing now and win (either in court or with a mediator/Human Resources and such)

Its much better now in any case.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY

Howdy!

Yes, your right! That's why I added, "or are able to go for it", odds are they can fight this sort of thing now and win (either in court or with a mediator/Human Resources and such)

Its much better now in any case.

Yes it is better than it used to be. The days of a woman's place in the kitchen are over.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

The days of a woman's place in the kitchen are over.

Just the kitchen part in today's society is replaced with other words.

I just think the discrimination has found ways of being more subtle as everything progresses for better or worse.

I see humor and comedy being used to bring out a light side and something to have a laugh about in issues that have no place for laughter until the issue is resolved such as violence towards women or other forms of discrimination.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I went on a recent Star Trek binge on Netflix (the original series).

I noticed in the original pilot, Pike made a comment to a female officer that he would have to get used to having women on deck.

It really is amazing how much things have changed. Not completely but a lot.

new topics

top topics

join