It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten commandments of tyranny

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingHuman

Constantine adopted it because he saw a UFO in the shape of a cross (read: unidentified cross-shaped flying object) and they painted the cross on their equipment. They were subsequently victorious. Enter the rise of Christianity.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Constantine adopted it because he saw a UFO in the shape of a cross (read: unidentified cross-shaped flying object) and they painted the cross on their equipment. They were subsequently victorious. Enter the rise of Christianity.
I have seen a UFO, it did not make me believe in Christianity. Just made me read Ezekiel and few others again, more carefully.

Do you have a source?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Do you have Google?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Do you have Google?

Will that make me believe in Christianity?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I'm not here to convert you, I'm atheist. But familiarizing yourself with Google may help with research in the future. For instance, you can easily find sources for the vision of Constantine using Google.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I'm not here to convert you, I'm atheist. But familiarizing yourself with Google may help with research in the future. For instance, you can easily find sources for the vision of Constantine using Google.

Constantine himself disliked the risks to societal stability that religious disputes and controversies brought with them, preferring where possible to establish an orthodoxy. The reign of Constantine established a precedent for the position of the emperor as having great influence and ultimate regulatory authority within the religious discussions involving the early Christian councils. There is little reason to believe that either the dynastic connection or the divine vision are anything other than fiction, but their proclamation strengthened Constantine's claims to legitimacy and increased his popularity among the citizens of Gaul. long after his oft alleged conversion to Christianity, Constantine's coinage continued to carry the symbols of the sun. Even when Constantine dedicated the new capital of Constantinople, which became the seat of Byzantine Christianity for a millennium, he did so wearing the Apollonian sun-rayed Diadem; no Christian symbols were present at this dedication.

All quotes found by using Google, all on Wikipedia. What did your Google search results show? That his UFO converted him into a devout Christian?
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Tyrannical Commandment # 11

Want corporations to get their lobbyists out of politics? S'down an' sha'dap!

Tyrannical Commandment # 12

Thou shall always be obsessed with race,sex and materialism until one dies in fiat debt.

Tyrannical Commandment # 13

Worship all jackboot thugs and all wars.Wars are loving. Worship unelected unaccountable bureaucratic corporate apparatus.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

It is commonly stated that on the evening of 27 October with the armies preparing for battle, Constantine had a vision which led him to fight under the protection of the Christian God. The details of that vision, however, differ between the sources reporting it.
Lactantius states that, in the night before the battle, Constantine was commanded in a dream to "delineate the heavenly sign on the shields of his soldiers" (On the Deaths of the Persecutors 44.5). He followed the commands of his dream and marked the shields with a sign "denoting Christ". Lactantius describes that sign as a "staurogram", or a Latin cross with its upper end rounded in a P-like fashion. There is no certain evidence that Constantine ever used that sign, opposed to the better known Chi-Rho sign described by Eusebius.[5]

A coin struck in 313, depicting Constantine as the companion of a solar deity
From Eusebius, two accounts of the battle survive. The first, shorter one in the Ecclesiastical History promotes the belief that God helped Constantine but does not mention any vision. In his later Life of Constantine, Eusebius gives a detailed account of a vision and stresses that he had heard the story from the Emperor himself. According to this version, Constantine with his army was marching (Eusebius does not specify the actual location of the event, but it clearly is not in the camp at Rome), when he looked up to the sun and saw a cross of light above it, and with it the Greek words "Εν Τούτῳ Νίκα", En toutō níka, usually translated into Latin as "in hoc signo vinces," both phrases have the literal meaning "In this sign,[you shall] conquer;" a more free translation would be "Through this sign [you shall] conquer". At first he was unsure of the meaning of the apparition, but in the following night he had a dream in which Christ explained to him that he should use the sign against his enemies. Eusebius then continues to describe the labarum, the military standard used by Constantine in his later wars against Licinius, showing the Chi-Rho sign.[6]

en.wikipedia.org...

Next time, do a little more than just the minimalist research efforts. Seriously.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Alexander the great did see a UFO.

He may have interpreted it as a sign of a god.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman
Alexander the great did see a UFO.

He may have interpreted it as a sign of a god.

Oh dear,shades of Ancient Alien 'theory' there

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

"Tell me, Winston — and remember, no lies: you know that I am always able to detect a lie — tell me, what are your true feelings towards Big Brother?’

‘I hate him.’

‘You hate him. Good. Then the time has come for you to take the last step. You must love Big Brother. It is not enough to obey him: you must love him.’"

O'Brien to Winston - From Orwell's 1984

'It is not enough to obey him: you must love him'

A mantra straight out of the bible !!!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by fastbob72

please stop spying on my computer accessories/browser history please.

I know you and your arrogant port sniffing buddies are looking into my computer.

please stop.
edit on 17-7-2013 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Next time, do a little more than just the minimalist research efforts. Seriously.

Are you really THAT naive? Or just pretending?

Your quote talks about a DREAM. He decided to implement Christianity and so he claims he had a dream. Emperor acting because of a dream - his empire won't last a month if this is his modus operandi.

The fact that this is only a facade is already proven in my post. His real motivation is ALSO clearly identified - if you care to read it.

Next time, do better research and come up with more than a DREAM. Seriously.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Read the second paragraph. The part about the sun. Right in front of your face. Don't worry, you don't have to apologize for being rude and obtuse.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

reply to post by fastbob72

please stop spying on my computer accessories/browser history please.

I know you and your arrogant port sniffing buddies are looking into my computer.

please stop.

And how the hell would I spy on your accessories/browser history ??

I'm not spying on anyone,nor do I drink port and I take offence at the reference.Sounds like you're getting a little paranoid to me !!!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Read the second paragraph. The part about the sun. Right in front of your face. Don't worry, you don't have to apologize for being rude and obtuse.

the Ecclesiastical History ... does not mention any vision. According to (the much later) version, Constantine ... looked up to the sun and saw a cross of light above it (Eusebius does not specify the actual location of the event...)

VISION and DREAM. I never apologize for somebody else's actions. You really need to learn how to read. Seriously, do you know what is a "Vision" and what is a "Dream"??

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

#6 Authority never makes mistakes

You may want to add, when it seems that there may have been a mistake, the Authority will appoint a Commission to investigate. The results of the investigation will be released to the Authority only, who will notify the public of the result.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

VISION and DREAM. I never apologize for somebody else's actions. You really need to learn how to read. Seriously, do you know what is a "Vision" and what is a "Dream"??

I'm not contesting the accuracy of the man who recorded the emperor's vision. If you feel it is necessary, go for it. There's plenty of ways you can research the sighting.

The most famous and dramatic account is that of Eusebius, who relates in his panegyric to the deceased Constantine, Vita Constantini, that the day before the battle of Saxa Rubra (27 October 312), Constantine was praying, and begging God to reveal Himself. As he prayed, at around midday, a “most marvellous sign” appeared in the sky. A cross of light appeared, above the Sun with the inscription In hoc signo vinces (By this sign, conquer). Constantine and his entire army of close to 100,000 men were amazed at the sight.[1]

That night, Eusebius reports, Constantine had a dream. In his dream, Christ appeared to him and ordered that Constantine make a “likeness of that sign which he had seen in the heavens” and use it as a protective in all his future battles.

So what was it that Constantine saw? Artists through the ages have attempted to depict the scene, but have done so in only the most fantastical way. The most obvious solution is that it was a particularly bright parhelion (a Sun dog or mock Sun). The specific assoc­iation that Eusebius makes with the Sun might support this. These images are caused by ice particles high in the atmosphere and are relatively common. Given clear skies, they can be seen on average about twice a week, if looked for carefully.[2] Very bright parhelia are rarer, yet should still have been known to Constantine, who would have spent far more time outdoors than we do today, and would consequently be more familiar with aerial phenomena.

www.forteantimes.com...

A vision AND a dream! It seems the dream occurred quite separately from his vision of the cross above the sun. Did you even bother to look it up? Bother to read the account for yourself? No, you're just content with attacking me lazily from your armchair. Fortunately for both of us, I'm more proactively inclined.
edit on 18-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

A vision AND a dream!

I asked you earlier if you REALLY are THAT naïve. I can see now, that you are. We live in different universes. I don't even take unsubstantiated UFO eye-witness accounts from single people, today, serious.

This has to be considered a single person because, of course, his subjects will confirm whatever the emperor claimed. And, also, you seem to believe the people who recorded the testimony - who worked for the emperor. 1700 years ago.

If you are THAT gullible, I have ocean front property in Montana for you.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

This has to be considered a single person because, of course, his subjects will confirm whatever the emperor claimed. And, also, you seem to believe the people who recorded the testimony - who worked for the emperor. 1700 years ago.

If you are THAT gullible, I have ocean front property in Montana for you.

So you're calling Constantine a liar. Alright. Well, I can't argue with that any more than you can prove he lied. Well then, I'm calling Jesus and every one of his apostles a liar. I can't prove it, but hey, as long as I feel that way, it's perfectly valid, right?

edit on 18-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join