It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ill. Rep Requests National Guard Help Stop Chicago Violence

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
'Police qualified' it's the national guard machine guns, and all that kind of stuff.

When they say “Send in the National Guard” that doesn't necessarily mean they send in the whole National Guard.
They will send in MP units, certainly they will not send Artillery or engineering units.

Yes, they carry military equipment, but that can have a positive side effect as well. It helps restore the public's confidence in their safety, and it helps intimidate those who are causing problems.

Chicago already has cash issues that will increase the taxpayer burden on an already epic failure of law makers, and law enforcement, and judicial systems.

Hence the fact that this will be paid for by the State of Illinois, not the City of Chicago.

financial burden shifting to the state means the rest of the country as they receive federal funds.

Hardly a drip in the ocean of our tax money that the fed is wasting, or throwing at foreign countries. I would rather they use my tax dollars in the US then be sending it everywhere else on the planet.

That is another big problem with the National Guard, and the military in general jack of all trades master of none.

That is why the military has units that are trained to deal with each type of situation. MP's deal with police issues, SAR deal with rescue, engineering corps deals with any type of structural issues, etc... Troops can also be used in a general fashion, but they would be under the direction of someone who knows what they are doing.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

After all Chicago has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. that have been proven not to work.

This is a nonsense argument, you cannot disprove it based on the statics because there is no comparison. Strict gun laws are in place to stop this violence, and unless you can provide access to a parallel universe where those laws don't exist you cannot possibly prove that things would not be worse without them.

I've seen this several times on here, with people claiming the violence is higher in states with the toughest gun laws - THAT'S WHY THEY HAVE THE TOUGHEST GUN LAWS!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by firemonkey

I'm nowhere near as familiar with Chicago as a local who lives there...but being a Trucker in Missouri? Chicago was a place I was in and out of at last once a month and often many more times than that, for all 15 years of my driving career.

I am familiar with the city in general and it's ebb and flow of crime for my own survival as a necessity. This level of crime is nothing like what it was a few years ago and not as bad as it was when the man took office. I do have stats to support that and had just used them in another recent thread when Intrepid was asking about the same Chicago specific focus I had on a thread I authored.

Really.. I'm not saying Chicago is a war zone by ineffective political leadership within the city by reading simple media reports. It is coming from personal and direct experience, at least up to Nov. of 2010 when I get off the road,

It's totally out of control now....as other truckers are also telling me when the subject comes up these days.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I don't get it isn't that why we have jails and correction officers?

If riots were to break out, and I'm sure they would, the jails would be overcrowded in no time and there wouldn't be enough correction officers to handle the overflow. I think I heard that they are already at that point now, without riots.

I think that activating the Guard would just be bad ju-ju for the country as a whole. It would spread to every city eventually.

Bada-Bing! Bada-Boom! Martial Law.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Hardly a drip in the ocean of our tax money that the fed is wasting, or throwing at foreign countries. I would rather they use my tax dollars in the US then be sending it everywhere else on the planet.

Those drips add up why must we continually pay for their errors?

Rather spend our tax dollars on policing the streets of America that politicians screwed up?

Not me.

If they wouldn't be so incompetent in the first place there would be less laws, and more money in our wallets.

hat is why the military has units that are trained to deal with each type of situation. MP's deal with police issues, SAR deal with rescue, engineering corps deals with any type of structural issues, etc... Troops can also be used in a general fashion, but they would be under the direction of someone who knows what they are doing.

'Someone who knows what they are doing' that isn't Rahm Emanuel.
edit on 10-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

This is a nonsense argument, you cannot disprove it based on the statics because there is no comparison. Strict gun laws are in place to stop this violence, and unless you can provide access to a parallel universe where those laws don't exist you cannot possibly prove that things would not be worse without them.

So what part of 74 shot and 12 killed over the weekend not counting the hundreds who have already died from that 'nonsense argument' are people missing?

Isn't that the idea behind LAWS?

Stop people from doing things they shouldn't be doing?

Right.
edit on 10-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013

After all Chicago has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. that have been proven not to work.

I've seen this several times on here, with people claiming the violence is higher in states with the toughest gun laws - THAT'S WHY THEY HAVE THE TOUGHEST GUN LAWS!

Violence is higher in states with tougher gun laws because criminal just don't care and the politicians keep passing namby pamby feel good laws that do nothing but hinder the law abiding citizen.

All in the name of "doing something" or was that, "It's for the children."?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
How come the Right doesn't like Rahm Emanuel? He just closed 50 public schools and fired 600 teachers. Just curious.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Street gangs need to be declared domestic terrorists. And treated as such.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
How come the Right doesn't like Rahm Emanuel? He just closed 50 public schools and fired 600 teachers. Just curious.

Because he keeps going after the rights GUNS.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

It's not PC to question his moves.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I live in Chicago and this doesnt bother me one bit... The violence is coming from the South-West sides of Chicago where no SANE person would ever go in their right mind... I'm pretty sure I'd be safer walking in Baghdad during the war... There's a reason why we call the south-side of Chicago Little Baghdad... Either way this won't affect me and I wouldn't mind these gangbangers getting a taste of their own medicine... They are trying to terrorize this city so its time for them to face a group that can handle their fire power...

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

lmaorofllol
ha-ha

Maintain strictest gun laws in the country.. call in national guard because of gun violence from illegal guns.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

And It is NOT gun violence people need to stop blaming things they need to start holding PEOPLE accountable for their actions.

Meanwhile our prisons are bursting at seems and we have the highest per capita incarceration rate in the world.

Your plans sounds awesome

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Originally posted by Rocker2013

Violence is higher in states with tougher gun laws because criminal just don't care and the politicians keep passing namby pamby feel good laws that do nothing but hinder the law abiding citizen.

All in the name of "doing something" or was that, "It's for the children."?

OK fantasy world!

We need MORE people in jail, that will make us safer from guns!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cheesefleas

And It is NOT gun violence people need to stop blaming things they need to start holding PEOPLE accountable for their actions.

Meanwhile our prisons are bursting at seems and we have the highest per capita incarceration rate in the world.

Your plans sounds awesome

Ever think of why there are so many people in prison?

Oh might be because there are TOO MANY LAWS ?

Whodda thunk it.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Never let a good crisis go to waste, Someone said...................

Just sad.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Following the new conceal carry law... They probably just want to install troops in the city and say "look how having the national guard patrolling the city has increased your safety." All the while the conceal carry law is the factor truly bringing down the crime rate.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Even a better question......

How come the left usually see things as firings and school closings as something designed by the "EVIL" Right?

Being fiscally responsible is a Mayors Job, and keeping his constituents safe is his number one job, I do believe.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Just means more people are going to get shot by illegal guns as they are not in school or have a job to go to.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join