Ill. Rep Requests National Guard Help Stop Chicago Violence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

Well, it is always a bit helpful when victims can do more than cry, beg and plead for mercy that will never come from a predator that doesn't even know how to show it more often than not.

Guns don't solve anything any more than they make anything worse. They simple give people options. Bad people get bad options and use them.....while good people have options to prevent themselves from becoming statistics in a body bag. It's not a bad concept, really. I've found the CCW permit to be quite a helpful thing at times for peace of mind, if nothing else.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
True but I recall the National Guard off fighting in Iraq, and Afghanistan so militia fights off in far away distant lands.

The National Guard is sort of like the Coast Guard in that its main purpose is to be a domestic defense force (its really there to fight an invasion on US soil), but it can also be used in law enforcement, rescue, disaster situations, or pretty much anytime the governor wants to spend the money on it. The governor is the “commander-in-chief” of his state militia, unless there is a Congressionally sanctioned war in which the president becomes the head of all militia’s. Even if there is a war the governor has the right to challenge the mandate of the federal government to use his militia.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

What that city needs is MORE guns. Because nothing solves gun related violence like MORE guns. Just ask the drug cartels.

Don't have the ask the cartels just have to ask the guy who armed them as in Rahm Emanuel who was 'White House Chief of Staff' when it thought arming criminals was a 'good idea'.

Rahm seem to think more guns were a 'great idea' down south of the border.
edit on 10-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Having said that, the people aren't even the problem in Chicago. Just ONE person. Mayor Rahmbo. Chicago wasn't an open war zone with a dozen to two dozen bodies a weekend, damn near every weekend like it was a local sport before he took office.

Yes it was, these problems have existed long before Rahm...it's just silly to attempt to use a long standing issue to blame one person who has only been there a couple years.

To understand the issues in Chicago, you would have to know the history of the city, specifically the south side. It's just sad that people simplify it like you do just so you can take a shot at a politician you don't like.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Alright does/should the national guard be called for the Chicago violence?

Does that rate a 'domestic' issue the police not good enough to handle things there?

Does the militia./military always have to clean up politicians mess's ?

I say no there is no need imo they are to be used for bigger things like floods,evacuations.search and rescue etc.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I started a novella in the short stories forum a few months ago with this very thing as the way to kick things off.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I stopped at Chp 3 and am being encouraged to finish it and try to get published. Events may be over taking me though. Seven chapters so far, I had better get crackin'.

If anyone gets their National Guard approval to enforce laws, it be a slippery slope from then on out. And the road is slippery enough as it is.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Alright does/should the national guard be called for the Chicago violence?

If the governor feels the need to supplement the police force with National Guard, and he wants to allocate the budget for it, it's within his rights to do so. He can call on them for any reason he wishes. You will often see them used for crowd control where there are not enough police available to man the event, and still answer all the public “calls for service”. That's why you see them at races so often, where you have miles of track that need to be manned with crowd control personnel.

I don't understand why everyone goes bonkers when the National Guard is utilized; after all that's its purpose. I mean, do you find it strange that the Coast Guard preforms domestic rescue, or police operations in the US? Most likely not, because you're used to it. The National Guard is not really that much different than the Coast Guard in that aspect.

Does that rate a 'domestic' issue the police not good enough to handle things there?

It does not need to be a “domestic issue”, it can be for any reason, even just lack of enough police officers. Lets say that the police went on strike (which is illegal, but lets say it happened anyway), the governor could call the National Guard to take over the police agency until the strike were resolved, or officers replaced.

Does the militia./military always have to clean up politicians mess's ?

Anything the governor wants to use them for, even emergency trash disposal...

The limit to what the governor can request that they do is basically the budget that the state is willing to spend on using them for that task.
edit on 7/10/2013 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Obviously they get to do what ever they want however to repeat the same idea said more simply.

Think the NG should be used for natural disasters not man made ones.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The guard on the streets of Chicago,what next?They won't have an easy time either.Too many guns,drugs,money and gangs.The guard can definitely expect casualties if deployed.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

No, it is designed to work on both, but even more so on man made disasters than natural ones. It is, after all, a military organization, armed with military gear (what good do guns do against a natural disaster), designed to deal with any situation which the governor feels may spiral out of control, and where order needs to be maintained. Even in a natural disaster their primary function is not rescue (though they do help with that), its to maintain control, stop looting, and distribute aid in an orderly fashion.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

And LEO already performs those functions if that doesn't work, and laws don't work the only solution is a more militaristic organization?

There is something wrong with that picture.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

There was a report in 2012 (if I remember well) that stated Detroit is the most violent city in the U.S....

FBI data ranks Flint, Detroit highest on 'Most Dangerous Cities in America' list

After falling for five consecutive years, the number of violent crimes across the United States rose by 1.2% in 2012. Based on data published by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the increase was even greater in some of America’s largest cities. In 2012, for the third year in a row, Flint, Michigan had the highest violent crime rate in the country.

According to the FBI, violent crime includes murder, nonnegligent manslaughter, rape, robbery and aggravated assault. In some cases, the cities with the highest violent crime rate, including Flint and Oakland, had high rates in all four categories. However, most of the most violent cities tend to do very poorly only in a few categories. Based on the FBI Uniform Crime Report, these are the 10 most dangerous cities in America.

www.freep.com...

But gun control advocates have been claiming for decades that cities and states with strict gun control will have less gun violence no?... Why is the opposite happening?... Why are the cities with the most crimes the ones with the stricter gun-control laws?...

For gun control advocates the facts do not matter, and that is the truth.

edit on 10-7-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: add link.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

It's a rapid injection of police qualified personnel beyond what the city's budget will cover for manpower. The city only has so much money that they can budget for police, and those police have to deal with this issue on top of all the normal daily police calls they receive. By sending in the National Guard, the State financially bears the brunt of the extra manpower for the city. Manpower that the city cannot afford to maintain long term, or many only need for a single event. Even if in the long term it is decided that the city needs to add more officers, they cannot train them in a day.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

It's a rapid injection of police qualified personnel beyond what the city's budget will cover for manpower

'Police qualified' it's the national guard machine guns.and all that kind of stuff.

Chicago already has cash issues that will increase the taxpayer burden on an already epic failure of law makers, and law enforcement, and judicial systems.

By sending in the National Guard, the State financially bears the brunt of the extra manpower for the city.

financial burden shifting to the state means the rest of the country as they receive federal funds.

Manpower that the city cannot afford to maintain long term, or many only need for a single event. Even if in the long term it is decided that the city needs to add more officers, they cannot train them in a day

That is another big problem with the National Guard, and the military in general jack of all trades master of none.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well, it is always a bit helpful when victims can do more than cry, beg and plead for mercy that will never come from a predator that doesn't even know how to show it more often than not.

But those "predators" you are talking about are law abiding gun owners.

Guns don't solve anything any more than they make anything worse. They simple give people options.

Shoot people to rob them, or shoot people to keep from being robbed, looks like either way, someone's getting shot. Great solution there

Bad people get bad options and use them.....

And somehow we keep electing republicans, it's just amazing right?

while good people have options to prevent themselves from becoming statistics in a body bag.

Again, why I don't go to Australia.

It's not a bad concept, really. I've found the CCW permit to be quite a helpful thing at times for peace of mind, if nothing else.

I am all for CCW permits, I agree that people have the right to defend themselves. But I don't think that putting gasoline on a fire will make the fire go out.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If the National Guard is activated in a support role to the police, meaning not actively patrolling on their own, but rather watching over detainees and processing them, medical & logistical support, this may work, but there are always communication breakdowns.

If the Gov were to activate his forces and deploy them to the South Side of Chicago as a active armed force in addition to the police, the possibility of another Kent State will have greatly risen.

Plus I wonder how a activation would affect the police forces as many of them are National Guard members as well. Key police units such as SWAT would be losing people with no one trained to fill in for them.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

But those "predators" you are talking about are law abiding gun owners.

Wanna try agian?

Shooting someone is against the law.

Them not getting gun permits, or licenses, and not buying their guns at brick and mortar stores, and submitting to a federal background check is also against the law.

A predator is not a 'law abiding' anything.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Isnt this an annual request from the pols of Chiraq?

Why do they keep repeating themselves? Posturing for more leverage to hike taxes ever higher? Trying to pass the buck?

I swear America is like Groundhog Day. The same # over and over and over.

From 2010: Chicago Lawmakers: Call in the NG

From 2011: Request for NG deployment

Give it a rest already Chicago.
edit on 10-7-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

You do realise that Illinios is considered a Blue State don't you? Chicago hasn't had a Repub in charge in decades.

But I guess old Rahm is doing such a bang up job since he became Mayor that crime has dropped.

Oops, wait a second, it hasn't and has actually gotten worse.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

If the National Guard is activated in a support role to the police, meaning not actively patrolling on their own, but rather watching over detainees and processing them, medical & logistical support, this may work, but there are always communication breakdowns.

I don't get it isn't that why we have jails and correction officers?

If the Gov were to activate his forces and deploy them to the South Side of Chicago as a active armed force in addition to the police, the possibility of another Kent State will have greatly risen.

That is what I think as the NG would be seen as an escalation and devolve rather quickly.

Plus I wonder how a activation would affect the police forces as many of them are National Guard members as well. Key police units such as SWAT would be losing people with no one trained to fill in for them.

Very good posibility as quite a few leo are weekend 'warriors'.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join