It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York school drops Michelle Obama lunch standards: Kids too hungry

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
The real problem is that even if the menu was delicious and fulfilled all the nutritional requirements the kids would still hate it. They are addicted to junk food and when given the option of a healthy meal that won't trigger those happy feels they hate it.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Of all the things to complain about. I guess it doesn't matter what the leadership does... someone will always complain about it. Here we have an attempt to help kids eat healthier.. which makes all the sense in the world.. and people complain about it. Yes, it's the parents role to get a child's eating habits in line with a healthy lifestyle.

But your kids are not always home. I think it's a great move to try and get the schools to serve healthier meals. Complaining that "I should decide what they eat not the government!" even when they are serving healthy food, just because it's the government is absolutely ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

This is a problem with our society, we cave into our children's stubbornness.
reply to post by firemonkey

This is not always the case, when was the last time you went to your child's school and ate? I make it a point to go there and eat what they do at least two time during the school year.

I had asked the administration if they eat there and the answer was about the same, they bring there own lunch in.

When you hear the word apple crisp you think of a desert, but when you see what it really is....... slice apples in ice cubes....you start to question the menus.

My kids don't complain except they don't get enough and when they get home what is the first thing they do, right to the frig....my kids are no were near being fat and these federal meals are not doing them any justices and besides they up the cost of each meal and the portions are only half the size from before.

This is one program that needs to be dropped.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
They should have unlimited access to fruits and vegetables. Problem solved.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I don't know where all this "Americanized portion" crap came from, but as a first generation born American for my family (which is Mexican one side, Italian the other, both of my parents immigrants, weird I know) I grew up eating large portions. So you who call large portions "Americanized" need to broaden your horizons.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This obesity epidemic must be a city problem, because quite honestly, I didn't see it in NY, and I don't see it now. Fat people were still in the vast minority, and still got made fun of everywhere I have lived in the country. I can't really recall noticing a whole lot of fat people in white plains either when I lived there, but that was like 13 years ago to be fair.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This program is an absolute joke. After reading the menu, no wonder these kids don't want to eat it. Green pepper slices, carrots and tai noodles? Hey, there is this thing called protein that the human body must have in order to function properly you imbecile Michelle. Jicama? Basically a Mexican raw potato, are you kidding me?

I was surprised to read that they were actually allowed to have 2% milk. I figured they would force non-fat garbage on them that is like drinking cloudy water. Then Low fat Mayo (ok then), and low fat ranch dip? What do they put in it, that sucralose crap? I was happy to see that they allowed Bean and Cheese burritos. Mozzarella cheese though, no evil cheddar or jack.

I guess out here in occupied California they are going to bring back hamburgers again, but no cheeseburgers, oh no. That should be a crime, no cheese on your burger? They could at least provide more protein options. They could even provide hot dogs but use organic apple chicken sausages which are really good. Nothing wrong with a slice of pizza every now and then either. They even control how much mustard they can have on their turkey sandwich on wheat bread. I can't imagine what school lunch wheat bread must taste like.

At the end of the day, it's up to the parents to make sure that their kids eat healthy, but they should be allowed to eat some food deemed not healthy every now and then. I see nothing wrong with a cheeseburger. It's not the federal governments business to teach Americas kids good eating habits. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I have 2 kids in the BH-BL school system with my youngest about to start in the fall. I have volunteered many times and have sat down and had lunch with my sons class on many occasions. He's a pretty picky kid but could usually find something that he would eat in the cafeteria. until this past year at least... the options have been reduced to almost nothing. the kids have what's called "main menu' and that's all they were getting to choose from. For the first time since he started going to school I had to send a lunch in with him every day. I can assure you that prior to the new school lunch guidelines being implemented these kids weren't being fed pizza and French fries every day nor did they have access to soda as I keep seeing people claim. I guess its easier to mock through ignorance as opposed to utilizing actual facts. The district used to be one of the best in the state but because its mostly residential and farming here there's not a lot of commerce to ease the tax burden and the homeowners and school itself get screwed every year. they had to cut several positions last year in the library and computer labs at a couple of the elementary schools to pay for the new food program and because of it my taxes are going to increase yet again. It's my job to be a role model for my children and to influence their choices, not the schools and especially not the federal governments.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Yeah, pizza and french fries.

We have to force them to eat better because the kids and parents in this country are too stupid to eat properly. Sadly they're so stupid they'd rather starve than eat broccoli. It's all gluttony and selfishness.

They're public schools, they should be fed by the public and we should not be feeding them the crap they eat at home. We should not be adding to the obesity epidemic in this country by letting kids eat burgers and chicken nuggets in schools. It makes us weaker as a country and we spend many billions of dollars every year providing healthcare for our fat dying citizens. Far more than it would cost to implement sensible foods that our kids are too stupid to realize actually taste good.

If parents are concerned they can make lunch for their kids, but I suspect we can add laziness to the gluttony and selfishness.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by peter vlar

It's not ignorance, pizza and french fries are on many school menus. I had the choice to eat them every day in middle school and high school. That and cheeseburgers, nachos, ice cream, candy and soda. And there was no attempt to ensure kids were getting nutrition or anything but junk food.

I'm curious, what are these horrible food your kid refuses to eat? I find it extremely hard to believe that this food is really that terrible. It seems much more likely that our kids are addicted to sugar and salt and so their brains don't register real food as appetizing. I blame the food corporations more than the parents and kids, but we are destroying our kids with food.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

They can eat candy every day at home. While in school, on our dime, I do not want my taxes going to fatten up people who I will have to pay for medical bills down the line when their heart fails. You should not be allowed to push your horrible food onto everyone else's children because you don't care if you kid can't run in gym class.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Ad ignorantiam and anecdotal evidence do not make good arguments, though this is a conspiracy forum, so that's 90%, but still.

More than one-third of U.S. adults (35.7%) are obese.

Obesity-related conditions include heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer, some of the leading causes of preventable death.

In 2008, medical costs associated with obesity were estimated at $147 billion; the medical costs for people who are obese were $1,429 higher than those of normal.
CDC Obesity Data

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by evictiongnostic

Argument for what? I wasn't arguing for or against anything, just making a personal observation about the whole obesity epidemic.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by evictiongnostic
reply to post by peter vlar

It's not ignorance, pizza and french fries are on many school menus. I had the choice to eat them every day in middle school and high school. That and cheeseburgers, nachos, ice cream, candy and soda. And there was no attempt to ensure kids were getting nutrition or anything but junk food.

I'm curious, what are these horrible food your kid refuses to eat? I find it extremely hard to believe that this food is really that terrible. It seems much more likely that our kids are addicted to sugar and salt and so their brains don't register real food as appetizing. I blame the food corporations more than the parents and kids, but we are destroying our kids with food.

OK, I can concede that some schools do allow those items on their menus, however the topic at hand was this particular district, which I live in and pay taxes in. The food was fairly average school lunch fare. I've eaten lunch in the cafeteria and I can attest that its not terribly appetizing. With that said, I as do many other parents, have the option to send a lunch with him. There are also vastly differing menus in the 3 elementary schools in the district compared to the middle school and high school. I can't say first hand what the menus are in middle or high school here but from what my daughter tells me they have several options for a' la carte items. As a tax payer I'd much prefer the school spent more time worrying about educating my children and doing away with "no child left behind" before they start worrying about what my kids are eating. As many have already stated, what children like or are accustomed to begins at home and we can't rationally expect schools to cater to every childs specific likes or dislikes. but that doesnt change the fact that this past year specifically the quality of the food was atrocious.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by evictiongnostic

They can eat candy every day at home. While in school, on our dime, I do not want my taxes going to fatten up people who I will have to pay for medical bills down the line when their heart fails. You should not be allowed to push your horrible food onto everyone else's children because you don't care if you kid can't run in gym class.

What horrible food did I push, did you even read my post? "Who mentioned candy"? Have you bumped your head or something? So you want the Federal Government to save you money? LMAO!!!!!!!!! Talk about sheoplized herdism. How about some more billions in foreign aid there my friend, does that concern your pocket book?

You know nothing about me. My kid is a scholar athlete, football star and a wrestler who now has a strict diet in order to cut weight. So you're a fool for suggesting that. He grew up eating candy, not every day, but he did eat it. Being active is just as important as a good diet. The problem these days are video games, not candy every once in awhile. The bigger problems are GMOs and artificial sweeteners that are being pushed by like minded robots. Folks like you need to fix your brain.

The truth is I did not like him eating candy, but I was not going to have zero tolerance about it. You Stalinist like people want to take everything you can away from these kids. I agree that there is an obesity problem, but just like everything else in regards to raising children, it comes down upon the shoulders of the parents.

It's just like these lazy adults who think they can just diet and lose weight. What they need to do is simply exercise a few days a week. Now if they are already obese, then it takes both diet and exercise to lose weight.

The fact is, people like you are not going to dictate what our kids eat, period. It's called a brown paper lunch bag. It's nothing personal towards you either, just another opinion where they frequently vary here on ATS. Just don't go away mad about it. ~$heopleNation

edit on 11-7-2013 by SheopleNation because: Cooler heads prevail on ATS

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I'm in highschool and I am not picky about food. But what I can tell you for sure is that school food is disturbing to even look at.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Pay it no mind, all he / she has is insults instead of focusing on the subject of the thread and is going out of their way to make it personal. He / she even went so far as to insult ATS and 90% of this community. It's just a matter of time.

I believe that I mentioned that these kids in school should be allowed to eat a cheeseburger or a slice of pizza once a week in school. That some how translated into CANDY.
Don't get sucked into the negativity, which you handled better than me by the way, because you can't fix stupid. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Anyone who has raised children can attest to the fact that they can be quite finicky when it comes to their food. They will refuse to eat rather than eat something they consider "yucky". At home you can prepare certain foods in different ways until you find one that makes the food tasty to the child, but such methods are impractical in an institutional setting such as a school where foods must be prepared in mass quantity.

As children get older their tastes change and they are more open to trying different foods, but when young most children refuse to budge in their likes and dislikes and would rather go hungry than eat something that seems disgusting to them. Being a mother herself it seems like the First Lady would have understood this- unless she left the raising of her kids to others up until she was in the national spotlight, which would explain a lot!

If you payed me and my wife $500,000 a year, which is what they were being paid on the record when their children were old enough to attend school, I am pretty sure I could get any kid to eat some broccoli. Hey, "Want to go to Disney Land?" Or, "If you eat that brussels sprout I'll buy you a pony!"

This isn't over yet it will somehow make its way into your home. See the problem isn't Jimmy not eating his asparagus at school. The problem is his parents aren't raising him correctly. We should get the govt involved in helping raise this child.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Why the hell is the president's wife deciding what kids need to eat?

Am I the only one who finds this to be an outrageous discrepancy of authority? Is she even qualified as a dietician? What the heck is going on around here?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

Have you ever taken a look at what the Obama girls get served at school? When Michele starts demanding that HER kids eat what she has recommended for OUR kids then I will agree that she actually gives a damn. If it's what everyone should be eating then why aren't her kids eating it? Why do they deserve gourmet meals served at school? I guess because they're rich and attend private school then they are an exception and require the best of the best. IMO all kids should be receiving the best of the best if nutrition is really her focus. Good enough doesn't fly with me.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join