It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York school drops Michelle Obama lunch standards: Kids too hungry

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by IBelieveInAliens

Originally posted by SilentKillah

Originally posted by firemonkey

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Anyone who has raised children can attest to the fact that they can be quite finicky when it comes to their food. They will refuse to eat rather than eat something they consider "yucky". At home you can prepare certain foods in different ways until you find one that makes the food tasty to the child, but such methods are impractical in an institutional setting such as a school where foods must be prepared in mass quantity.

As children get older their tastes change and they are more open to trying different foods, but when young most children refuse to budge in their likes and dislikes and would rather go hungry than eat something that seems disgusting to them. Being a mother herself it seems like the First Lady would have understood this- unless she left the raising of her kids to others up until she was in the national spotlight, which would explain a lot!

I'm sorry, but this isn't true. This is only true for parents who let their kids run their household. If you let a kid choose, yes, they would rather eat cookies, candy, and pizza every single day. But they will eat whatever you prepare for them once they understand that is all they are getting.

This is a problem with our society, we cave into our children's stubbornness. That is all that is going on with this lunch program as well. There is a reason that many children in this country are fat...it's because when a program like this is suggested...the adults give into the crying of spoiled brats.

I know that's right firemonkey... tellum.

My kids often try to not eat the food when I fix their plates and walk away from the table. When they're taking too long, or I hear them playing, I get my butt up, walk over there. I notice they're only eaten what they want to eat. "You better eat the rest of that food" and I stand there until they've eaten it. No back talk, you get popped. And I better not see you trying to play, make faces, giggle, lor laugh until there's no food left on your plate. Once all 3 of them are done, they can all get up, and continue being kids.

A lack of discipline is what's needed with those children is all. Stop giving into the kids wishes and wants, and maybe the kids will follow parental and "grown folk" guidance as they're supposed to. Eat the food I give you... not what you want because it tastes good. And be happy that you don't have to buy your own food.
Force-feeding your children will lead to one thing: Obesity and an unhealthy relationship with food. Try putting smaller portions on their plates, rather than stubbornly standing over them as they cram unwanted food into their mouths like some sort of foie gras goose. It's not about how much money you spent on the meal. It's about how much food they need to function without overeating. Do you actually WANT your kids' stomachs to grow bigger than they need to? Wake up.

Based on your statement above what you just posted, I thought you'd be one of the people on my side of this argument... that keeping Michelle's menu is the better thing to do, as it's probably a healthier choice. Seems like instead you've chosen to pick on the fact that I want my kids to eat veggies and grains as well as protein. Here's a little more information for you all to pick on. I do a P90X/Insanity hybrid workout every day. My kids try to keep up too. I don't force them, they like to do pushups, situps, and pullups. They think I look cool doing it, and they want to do the exercises I do. You think my kids can sustain a 600 calorie diet (total breafast, lunch, and dinner)? They're 7 and 6 years old and play outside on 4.3 acres of land almost 4 hours out of the day. Pick on that too if you all want.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Right, and along those lines then, well, give adults what they want, too. After all, you're only an adult once.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
America have junk food option in schools? Thats bit mad in my opinion, children who eat alot of junk food, candies etc end up having difficult illnesses and weight problems. In my country school food were free, we ate once a day in school and it wasnt mostly good taste food but it was mostly healthy food.

In my childhood home we had to eat when was dinner time and we had to eat all we put on our plates or we didnt leave the table. I can still remember some crying hours spend at table becouse took too much food on the plate. But it was for our good to learn from these. We didnt get junk food so often, birthdays and such.

P.s. First post here ATS, i have read quite often this forum and decided to join discussions just now, and i apolige my bad english skills, its learned from movies and little bit here and there.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by reaganero

Originally posted by Cuervo

This really sickens me. We have a nation of little fat future diabetes cases and we come out with a menu to make them not so fat and diabetic. They complain. "Waah... these aren't Twinkies and pizza! Waaaah this is enough to only feed one normal child!"

So what do we do? We give them back their pizza and soda. Freakin' disgusting. Any parent who can't get their kid to eat a carrot over a hot dog is not trying hard enough. It's their lives we are talking about.

People just want to complain because of who it's coming from. It's simply a prejudice stemming from political bias. It's not like anybody is forcing them to eat school meals. It's simply a food pyramid targeting a healthy life style. Yet people say it's more control. I remember learning all about the food pyramid in school. Nobody complained about that did they? I'm sure if Paula Deen made a Butter and Oil soup with bacon doughnuts all the parents complaining would be silent.

You're making the same assumption others are. This has nothing to do with the politics of the people involved. It has everything to do with simple separation of Washington from our lunch rooms. The food Pyramid? Makes sense. Teaching it makes sense. Encouraging it makes even more sense. REQUIRING it by law out of a White House initiaitve? Makes no sense under the system we have.

As I'd mentioned before though...this isn't the first or only one that really carries things a bit beyond the level of decent. The Bush initiative that mandated and dictated physical fitness levels and requirements .or had tried to anyway. I don't know that got very far with things like the wars pretty well obliterating his domestic focus..or lets have a FAR BETTER example.

No Child Left Behind. That should really read "MANY Children left behind" since the schools have learned well how to sideline the kids (like mine, for instance) who are special needs and would hurt their test scores, hence their state ratings...hence their Federal standing for aid and ranking as a NCLB School.

^^^ That is the more extreme of the destructive side of Washington controlling or trying to control every school across every city and town for over 300 million people coming from just one or two sets of offices in ONE city. That is why a strong central Government was never intended or desired. It does NOT WORK to force a 'one size fits all' to 50 different states, nor would I want to live in an America where we become SO homogenized that it ever would really work.

Michelle's intentions may be golden (Although SHE eats like a pig at a trough often enough to make me wonder on that, and in full public view) but her implementation isn't one fit or workable under the American style of Governance or political control. She has us confused with a few other nations her Hubby would have been more comfortable as the head of..........Along with his predecessor for all the "party politics" matter in it.
edit on 11-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The eating habits of Americans are part of the reason the U.S. is declining. I`m sure Michelles intentions are good, but the change of heart can only come through education at home, not through Government regulation.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
she better be careful remember what happened to Marie Antoinette when she told the people to let the poor eat cake. she is not a schooled dietician is she. is she a nutritionist? people in power seem to think just because hey have power that means they have the right and the knowledge.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
my dogs don't always like the food I buy, but when they get hungry enough they eat it

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
The eating habits of Americans are part of the reason the U.S. is declining. I`m sure Michelles intentions are good, but the change of heart can only come through education at home, not through Government regulation.

someone gets. it

this goes for everything.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by firemonkey

Anyone who has raised children can attest to the fact that they can be quite finicky when it comes to their food. They will refuse to eat rather than eat something they consider "yucky". At home you can prepare certain foods in different ways until you find one that makes the food tasty to the child, but such methods are impractical in an institutional setting such as a school where foods must be prepared in mass quantity.

As children get older their tastes change and they are more open to trying different foods, but when young most children refuse to budge in their likes and dislikes and would rather go hungry than eat something that seems disgusting to them. Being a mother herself it seems like the First Lady would have understood this- unless she left the raising of her kids to others up until she was in the national spotlight, which would explain a lot!

I'm sorry, but this isn't true. This is only true for parents who let their kids run their household. If you let a kid choose, yes, they would rather eat cookies, candy, and pizza every single day. But they will eat whatever you prepare for them once they understand that is all they are getting.

This is a problem with our society, we cave into our children's stubbornness. That is all that is going on with this lunch program as well. There is a reason that many children in this country are fat...it's because when a program like this is suggested...the adults give into the crying of spoiled brats.

Your kids clearly are not as stubborn as mine. Your view is also quite narrow to think that you know what all kids are like.

I am certainly not caving in, but I am stopping short of corporal punishment since it's just wrong. You have to be a little less judgmental of others whose personal situations you don't know anything about.

-rrr

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I highly doubt these kids are "hungry". More like they just dont like the healthy food they are given and whine to get their pizza and fries back, and of course the parents and teachers cave in because they too are fat.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
While I agree that the White House or any Gov. Entity should stay out of our schools, the fact of the matter is that American’s have an obesity problem. More so than anyone other country in the world! People complain because healthy food is too expensive, and that is why they are forced to eat all the unhealthy stuff. And of course now that kids have the opportunity to eat healthy food, god forbid they eat it! It sounds pretty hypocritical to me. I can tell you exactly what is happening here. The kids are whining to Mom and Dad about all the healthy food that doesn’t taste like McDonalds, and Mom and Dad are whining because the kids don’t like it! Here’s a thought…..Stop spoiling your little brats! If the kids have a chance to eat healthy food at the same cost, why take it away? I am curious as to how many of the parents complaining, have an obesity problem of their own?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion
While I agree that the White House or any Gov. Entity should stay out of our schools, the fact of the matter is that American’s have an obesity problem. More so than anyone other country in the world! People complain because healthy food is too expensive, and that is why they are forced to eat all the unhealthy stuff. And of course now that kids have the opportunity to eat healthy food, god forbid they eat it! It sounds pretty hypocritical to me. I can tell you exactly what is happening here. The kids are whining to Mom and Dad about all the healthy food that doesn’t taste like McDonalds, and Mom and Dad are whining because the kids don’t like it! Here’s a thought…..Stop spoiling your little brats! If the kids have a chance to eat healthy food at the same cost, why take it away? I am curious as to how many of the parents complaining, have an obesity problem of their own?

My kids school is one that allows parents to spend the day or just come and sit down to eat lunch with their kid. I've seen the food and can understand why they won't eat it. What they are getting is basically reheated airlines food(Prepared by a catering company). By the time something like Broccoli gets to them, it has turned to mush. The problem isn't that the food is healthy, it is that it is prepared in a way that nobody will eat it.

It is kind of funny reading about adults complaining about kids not eating food that, they wouldn't eat themselves.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
To all complainers:

Please list a weeks worth of healthy alternatives to the government meals.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I really couldn't pass judgement on the school meals until I saw pictures of what they were offered. Schools in the 1980's had the meals cooked at a central kitchen and delivered by converted ambulances. Huge metal flasks filled with peas, mashed potatoes, soup, rice, soggy chips were all delivered to the school. Some days were good, other days were just dreaded by everyone.

I was one of them finicky kids - still have my finicky choices to this day

First thing, I can't stand anything gooey and sticky (cream, jelly, yoghurt). This extends to jam, honey or any other sauce in sandwiches and submarines. Mainly due to the texture, the flavor and the tellings off I'd get for stains on my clothes. This infuriates many others because I just leave crumbs everywhere instead.

I didn't mind tomato soup, but both it and broths made from vegetables just left me hungry.
Crunchy vegetables like celery sticks, cheese cubes, carrot sticks, apples (slice or original) and the juicy white part of lettuce are OK. I can eat peapods, green pees if they are solid enough, but go yuck if they are mushy.
Tangerines are good too. Home made burgers are tasty, but the fast-food ones taste like glue.. Original fish-fingers with white fish are tasty, but the ones with mushy gray fish are horrible.

Packets of crisps are wonderful - my favourites were salt-and-vinegar "twists", monster munches, "Outer Spacers" and "Bones" . The original plain chocolate and mint Aero bars, are tasty too.

Our workplace restaurant offered two sets of meals - salads for vegetarians, or red-meat roasts for meat-eaters. One left me hungry, and the other made me want to sleep. I can imagine the schools are doing the same. Health conscious girls want the salads, while the athletes ones want the red meat, and other just want something light. No one meal is going to please everyone.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by stormcell

The foods my kids didn't like to eat until they got older were usually texture problems as well, and I've noticed the same thing with my grandchild. The main complaint was "It doesn't feel right in my mouth". Most of the foods became acceptable to them as they got older, but my oldest daughter still wouldn't touch a banana if you paid her!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
A family member works for nutrition services in a Washington state school district. Guess where all the "healthy" food is going that the government says the kids need to eat, in the garbage. Even if the kids say they are not going to eat the fruit or vegetable that is served that day, they have to take it. They walk straight over to the garbage and in it goes. Milk is the same thing, the kids HAVE to take one.

Guess who has the contract for the "meat" products the kids are served, Tyson foods. Last time I checked there was nothing healthy about anything from Tyson foods.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Even though our food was varied and we had wonderful french fry day with huge plates of fries and good tasting gravy every tuesday. We also had stews, and cream of tomato soup, that I adored. The rest couldnt care less for. But then donuts at recess, wonderful glazed ones, and ice cream goodies for desert, ie drumsticks and ice cream sandwhiches were my favorites. Nearly every day after the soup or stew or fries, had 2 ice creams, one of each. I loved our lunches growing up. That is what I had every year, every week.

Anyway.....never threw away fruit, or milk though. Always loved all the fruit, yogurt and milk I could get, and juices. We had yogurt as well there. Noca, and loved the lemon.

And wish those choices on everyone, for every child, wonderful food and ice creams.

Also we grew up on an orchard, ate buckets of fruit all the time. And my dad would buy 40 lb box of ripe beefsteak tomatoes from his friends farm, and we'd go through the box with a salt shaker, devour them.

It was amazing what 2 dollars a day could buy you in those days!
edit on 11-7-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

My problem with school lunches might be the fact that even though they are supposed to be healthier, they are still filled with gmo products. Yes, organic is more expensive, but it seems to me that if they really cared about our children's health they would be more informed on what "healthy" really means. Also, the fact that kids get about 20 minutes, half of that waiting in line or trying to get situated, means little time to eat, no matter how nutritious it might be. Also, lunch is sometimes as early as 10 am! What sense does this make?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Probably the best post against this issue, and I'm not just saying that because all of the other posts against this issue were bad.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by 1curiousmama

Yes, there is the whole issue of the quality they get too and just what it consists of, eh? Folks may think back and recall the Pink Slime mini-scandal or at least, major issue which came not that long ago.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The lunch lady won't be serving up "pink slime" anymore at several school districts around the country.

Under a change announced Thursday by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, districts that get food through the government's school lunch program will be allowed to say no to ground beef containing an ammonia-treated filler derisively called "pink slime" and choose filler-free meat instead.
USA Today

The public outrage required to get that slop dropped was pretty dramatic, indeed. I recall being a part of a couple of the threads here at the time. Not good stuff for growing bodies, IMO, but Uncle has to drop some of the food stuffs somewhere and what better spot than the near black hole of the School Lunch program? So many different ways that Washington in the neighborhood school lunchroom strikes me as wrong...with the topic of the thread (Even kids won't eat some of the menu) really being the one step beyond what had already been building to show a bad direction anyway.

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join