It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York school drops Michelle Obama lunch standards: Kids too hungry

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think this is absurd. You shouldn't force food down children's throats, I have 2 kids and by god, if they don't like it, they won't eat it. Its up to the parents and children to establish healthy eating habits.

These kids should be offered choices. My old school did, and it was fantastic. Yes, an ideal lunch would be around 500 calories, but what about the atheletes? Between the ages of 14 and 19, I consumed upwards of 4000 calories a day. I HAD TO. I burned off the excess energy, no problem. And I hate to say it to the health nuts, but you can't sustain a training routine based on celery and yogurt. ID be eating my body weight in food every day....

They need choices, not forced policies.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dothedew
I think this is absurd. You shouldn't force food down children's throats, I have 2 kids and by god, if they don't like it, they won't eat it. Its up to the parents and children to establish healthy eating habits.

These kids should be offered choices. My old school did, and it was fantastic. Yes, an ideal lunch would be around 500 calories, but what about the atheletes? Between the ages of 14 and 19, I consumed upwards of 4000 calories a day. I HAD TO. I burned off the excess energy, no problem. And I hate to say it to the health nuts, but you can't sustain a training routine based on celery and yogurt. ID be eating my body weight in food every day....

Just for reference:

Elementary school students in grades kindergarten through fifth are allowed 650 calories per meal.
Moving into middle school, lunches served to children in sixth through eighth grades have a slightly increased calorie maximum at 700.
By the time they are teenagers in high school, students are allowed 850 calories per meal — about one-third of the total calories they require per day. According to WebMD, active teens between the ages of 14 and 18 years require approximately 2,400 calories per day.

AND
There are NO Maximums on Grains or meats.
There are NO Maximums on Fruit, Vegatables or Milk

AND Athletes can bring in thier own additional food or snacks.

This whole...America has earned the right to be the fatest most diabetic country on earth...is simply part of the culture war sponsored my the Industrial Food complex that has come to dominate our eating.

For effs sake, this is just asking not to feed our kids PRETEND FOOD...Manufactured CRAP...that is glued together and died to look like food.

And the food manufacturers?...Hell no!! It's unamerican to eat like your grandparents or parents di when they were kids!!!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dothedew

So we should be serving deep fried butter sticks to kids at schools because of athletes?

If we are going to be serving food to kids at schools it might as well be a healthy meal. If the kids don't like the food then they simply should not eat it and tell their parents to prepare them a lunch so they can bring it to school.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

This whole...America has earned the right to be the fatest most diabetic country on earth.

Quite wrong that title belongs to Mexico

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by Indigo5

This whole...America has earned the right to be the fatest most diabetic country on earth.

Quite wrong that title belongs to Mexico

Thanks for that...so we are the SECOND fatest nation IN THE WORLD...by point 8 of a percentage point!

Obviously we no longer have an issue.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

All calories are not created equal.
Despite what the USDA says.

We are taught to have a high carb, low fat, low protein diet.
IF you choose the wrong carbs...you WILL get fat...you WILL be hungry.

The First Lady's program was wrong....it was too low in fat and protein to keep hunger away.
The way most people eat is wrong.....all you have to do is go to a grocery store....all the high carb, high salt, high fat foods are a recipe for disaster.

The solution is somewhere in the middle....but it seems no one is talking about that.

A good diet is relatively high protein, lower carb [most carbs from veggies and quality high-fiber grains], low sugar and low in vegetable fats [with the exception of olive oil].....

edit on Wed Jul 10 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I must be missing something here. How on earth can you blame the government or the child for that matter. The problem squarely lies with lazy parents who cant be bothered to provide their children with a home made lunches.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Stewart covered this BS soup to nuts

www.thedailyshow.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

The First Lady's program was wrong....

A good diet is relatively high protein, lower carb [most carbs from veggies and quality high-fiber grains], low sugar and low in vegetable fats [with the exception of olive oil].....

edit on Wed Jul 10 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

I am not sure you know what the First Lady's program is???

There are NO Maximums on Grains or meats.
There are NO Maximums on Fruit, Vegatables or Milk

Kids can eat as much as they like.

They are simply acclimated to industrial food crap and thus throw out the veggies etc. and then complain they are Hungry.

See Stewart video above.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
A kid is driven by genetics often, they taste things, making an imprint on the subconscious, and know if it is geneticly good for them. If the child eats too many free glutamates, it destroys the energy sensors/receptors in the body and they cannot create a signal so they start looking for more foods containing free glutamates to saturate the ones that are left. Glutamates are necessary for proper building of memories but too much at a time destroys the energy receptors that take up acetylcholine on the neurons around the body. This can have possibilities as a treatment for some pains but is not a good solution. Other foods can cause problems with energy generation by causing disruption of the thyroid. Many foods have this goitinogen effect, they are usually green veggies. If energy cannot be processed correctly, how are kids going to think. The mind uses a lot of energy when thinking hard. Sure, take away the ability of kids to process information by giving them some wrong veggies. The problem here is that only kids who have evolved to eat more veggies will do good in school. Also, some of our ancestors tried eating too much veggies and their offspring had genetic changes where their liver stops detoxing to protect itself if the wrong food is eaten. This can cause brain chemical imbalances.

There are hundreds of things wrong with the present consensus of what is healthy eating. Moderation should be observed and keeping an eye on how kids act after eating certain foods should be stressed. The school does not know how the kids are eating at home nor they know or want to know about genetic needs. They blame the child's problems on the parents sometimes, when in fact they created the problem following this screwed up logic that is shoved on us today. I cannot explain all I have studied in a few paragraphs. It would take a hundred pages and would have so many variables that it would be somewhat useless. Parents should observe how certain foods effect their kids behavior and the schools should be working with the parents and not thinking their knowledge is complete about nutrition. I only have six years studying this full time and I can't even find a way to advise people well, there is no magic potion. I Have tested a lot of things on myself to see how it effects thinking and being able to rationally interpret data. This is no simple issue, one size does not fit all. The government doesn't discriminate though, their actions seem to be lowering thinkability across the board. I do not know if this is their INTENTION, I am starting to think it is.

Now, according to definition, this attitude should qualify me as skitzo, so nobody should listen to me. Going against consensus of the time gives you this cool name.

edit on 10-7-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I can tell you I have an extremely high metabolism, have never fluctuated in weight and I am eating more often then a 300 pound fat person... I weigh 135.

I am aware that I am an extreme minority.

edit on 10-7-2013 by tigershark1988 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I'm rather surprised that the focus is exclusively on the peas and carrots, so to speak while ignoring the meat that makes the whole story here.

The issue of Healthy vs. Unhealthy is an interesting one...Although as these kids proved, adults can wish and think and plan all they'd like with every good intention man ever thought up....and it won't mean squat if the kids don't like the menu. Even that is somewhat secondary though, as this has to be an issue addressed at some point, at some level.

I think the main point for my own thinking is simply this. When did every school down to the small town level come under the dictates and mandates of what Washington politicians and do gooders decide is a "good menu" for all 50 states? Did someone grant them magic psychic abilities to find that absolute perfect mix that hits all 5 regions of our nation for food and taste? Obviously.... not.

When on the truck, I could tell what region of the nation we were in without even being told by just looking at the buffet in the truck stop, more often than not. A real strong example of that is Catfish in the South. I hate the stuff myself, but it's a STAPLE of Southern Diets if one can go by what sells on the buffets.

So.. how about the Feds be federal and worry about federal things ...while the States be states and, as we've done for a couple hundred years now, handle things like the individual menu our children see and eat from at the state and local level? I don't recall this power being enumerated and it sure wasn't ceded by the states. It was simply TAKEN without so much as a 'by your leave' to the states by the Obama Family.

I guess, atop being experts in International Law (how to break it, anyway), Diplomacy, Accounting, Constitutional Law and life in general...they are absolute experts on Nutrition and the needs of every child in K-12, as well.

...or Perhaps we have some power drunk leaders who don't know limits, boundaries or ANY sense of where their own power ends and that of local and community authority starts.
edit on 10-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tigershark1988
I can tell you I have an extremely high metabolism, have never fluctuated in weight and I am eating more often then a 300 pound fat person... I weigh 135.

Can you go a long time without eating anything, or does your mind get erratic and you get uneasy if you don't eat?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
so let me get this straight........the republicans are not happy with the fed. government supplying nutritious lunches to school kids because the won't eat it....and....they are not happy with the fed. government supplying food stamps that buys crappy food that makes them fat.
you can't fix stupid.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

Originally posted by tigershark1988

Can you go a long time without eating anything, or does your mind get erratic and you get uneasy if you don't eat?

then ask for seconds of more fruits and vegetables at school...and you can eat all of the sugar, fat, and lard when you get home

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
so let me get this straight........the republicans are not happy with the fed. government supplying nutritious lunches to school kids because the won't eat it....and....they are not happy with the fed. government supplying food stamps that buys crappy food that makes them fat.
you can't fix stupid.

Well, you almost have it....except you can check the party line B.S. at the door for this one. It doesn't fit. This was an initiative by the Obama Family not the Democratic National Committee. I don't recall Pelosi, Reid or any lesser members of Congressional Democratic Leadership making this any form of priority on any level, whatsoever. They've been around long enough, it seems, to know the difference between important issues and feel good nonsense to create more problems than it ever solves.

No...This isn't about Republicans or Democrats. This is about the boundless ego of one man and one woman in a very specific case of reach down from the highest office in the nation to the lunch counter of the elementary school down the street.

It was just as out of place, wrong headed and outright overstepping bounds when Bush decided he was going to join Laura and FORCE this nation to get in shape by decree to the Federal Government, again, through the schools. Well.....No Child Left Behind became plenty of Children left behind with fatter bodies and worse health. These federal brainstorms really work out, don't they?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
KIds who are athletes need MANY more calories than Michelle Obama's version of lunch.
The kids and the parents know what they need. Not the White House.

this isn't for the athletes, they don't have the fat asses.....and by the way, it's not "Michelle Obama's" version of
lunch, it's "what the majority of doctors have recommended for decades" lunch

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

No I just get hungry, I've never really gone more than a few hours without eating.

Originally posted by rickymouse

then ask for seconds of more fruits and vegetables at school...and you can eat all of the sugar, fat, and lard when you get home

That would work if schools didn't limit the amount of food you get. There was no asking for seconds in the ten different schools I attended.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

you can't fix stupid.

Well, you almost have it....except you can check the party line B.S. at the door for this one. It doesn't fit. This was an initiative by the Obama Family not the Democratic National Committee. I don't recall Pelosi, Reid or any lesser members of Congressional Democratic Leadership making this any form of priority on any level, whatsoever. They've been around long enough, it seems, to know the difference between important issues and feel good nonsense to create more problems than it ever solves.

No...This isn't about Republicans or Democrats. This is about the boundless ego of one man and one woman in a very specific case of reach down from the highest office in the nation to the lunch counter of the elementary school down the street.

It was just as out of place, wrong headed and outright overstepping bounds when Bush decided he was going to join Laura and FORCE this nation to get in shape by decree to the Federal Government, again, through the schools. Well.....No Child Left Behind became plenty of Children left behind with fatter bodies and worse health. These federal brainstorms really work out, don't they?

this type of diet has been recommended for decades by thousands of doctors and pediatricians for school lunches...republicans have made it political by calling it "Michelle Obama's lunch".....the right-wing is NOW making nutrition a oooouuuuu...wait for it...." BAD OBAMA THING"!! or in your own words "THE BOUNDLESS EGO OF ONE MAN AND WOMAN!!...(start up scary music in the back-round)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join