It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York school drops Michelle Obama lunch standards: Kids too hungry

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
American kids have become used to portion sizes that are FAR larger than what should be considered normal.

Yes, they're complaining of being hungry, because they're used to lunches of 1,000 calories + of deep fried, high fat, high carb, high sugar meals.

When you cut 1,000 calories to 300 - 500 calories, then yes, kids are going to be hungry, especially if they don't eat the high fibre vegetable portion of that meal. I suspect these kids are eating the protein portion of their meal and throwing out the veggie and fruit portion that is designed to be slow absorption to keep them full, then complaining that they're hungry.

Considering your place of residence is in Canada, where did you obtain your information? National Enquirer?
Secondly, did you attend any American K-12 ~ High Schools??? If so you would know that yes some of the facathta they serve is just that, facathta. Majority is not. Not where I come from. There was the good w/ the bad and it's up to the child/young adult to decide.

Furthermore, how much did you eat when you were going through growth spurts??? Did you follow a strict regime for a diet??? I would bet "NOT" even if you said yes and would call you a liar for trying to play devils advocate.

Does America have a obesity problem??? YES, but so do other countries.

As far as the other responders saying to force feed there children what they want... My take is you've never been a parent. As yes you can force them to eat what you make but don't be suprised when they come back later that day and complain that they are hungry. Which inadvertantly makes you feel like a drug pusher when your trying to find a food your 1yr old child will actually eat and become "full" on.

Honestly, there are some devil advocates playing a holier than though attitude when infact if any one of us visited your houses we'd probably find the EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU POSTED.

To close, as a responsible new father~ I DO NOT LET ME CHILD EAT CRAP, whole foods w/ excellent nutritional value, my child is in the 70th percentile for both height and weight. Before you start debating me about obesity think real long and hard before you come get some.

Arrogance is just as bad as IGNORRANCE~ Be it American or Tim~Buck~Tooin

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

I never had a problem with school lunch's. Fact is many children haven't learned the word "gluttony" from their parents.

Most of the time, my children tell me school lunch's suck, and are horrible. Sometimes my kids skip their lunches, and wait for the home cooked meals they get at home. Not every child is fortunate enough to get that though. It is a Parents responsibility to teach their child eating etiquette.

If Mom and Dad are eating like pigs, the chances of a child becoming one is going to happen. It all starts at home.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I needed more info than this article provided. If they were forcing the previously mentioned 'tofu and sprouts' then I could understand the concern but if they were complaining about lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables, and whole grains then no sympathy.

However, this is along the lines of what I found: Lunches were limited to 850 calories a meal. That is actually pretty dang high! Then it sounded like they were still similar in nature- just smaller portions. One example I found was a smaller chicken sandwich.

Personally, this really comes across as a bunch of whining kids pitching a fit. My honest opinion. From the sound of the feedback, I expected them to be getting fed a 200 calorie meal consisting of lettuce and a slice of bread.

We have to do something to decrease our waistlines and watch our health as a country. I can't say I blame Michelle for trying. Guess we just can't live without our 3,000 calorie Big Macs though.
edit on 7/10/2013 by AshleyD because: Fixed horrible grammar mistakes.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Personally, this really comes across as a bunch of whining kids pitching a fit.

My youngest is one of those kids!

EVERYTHING on the menu is bad and horrible, even the sweet stuff.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

•No deep fried foods since the late 1970s from what I see on a few sites, and all schools nationwide have to follow the federal guidelines and get audited a lot.. The school district where I live never, ever had any deep fried foods on the menu..

The federal standards also state percentages of total fats allowed in all meals, and percentages of protein and vitamins, etc., it seems to already be a very good system that has been run by a lot of very good people who care a lot about kids, at least in my city they are.. I also feel that half of the battle for a child to eat right and such depends on how they are taught and treated at home, as a poster above mentioned...

Maybe things are more varied nationwide in spite of those federal guidelines...from reading other posts..

This thread has got me really thinking about this today because my 5 year old daughter will be in first grade in a month or so, I asked her about the lunches served at the school and she told me she likes everything, she says they have broccoli and lots of other veggies that are good, not overcooked peas like when I went to school in 1st grade that made everyone gag on just one spoonful..

edit on 10-7-2013 by alienreality because: added

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Why is it that Schools,Hospitals, and prisons all pretty much have the same food?

They shop at the same grocery store?

TO kids of America?

Bring your own lunch!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

....students did not like and would not purchase., .....the district lost money.

This is the problem. Instead of worrying about proper nutrition for children they are concerned with making a profit off the sale of lunches.

Schools are in the business of education, not a fast food franchise

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
You guys missed the most important reason for the switch back. Money. The school lost money, money is more important to them than the health of our children. So in order to get that money back they pander to the kids, and give them what they want.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mythos13
You guys missed the most important reason for the switch back. Money. The school lost money, money is more important to them than the health of our children. So in order to get that money back they pander to the kids, and give them what they want.

As I said earlier, I sincerely doubt they lost money. I'll go on a fact finding mission and see if I can find more info.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

You mean public schools are BIG business?

And where does US schools rank in teaching ?

But....It really does start at home. You teach your children to make the best of a sometimes "bad" situation.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythos13

So healthier, smaller portion food didn't cut it? they want something fat and greasy like what their parents buy everyday?

And School is succumbing to that and trying to buy stuff they would eat? should just a build a McDonald inside every school ffs!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Hey 25-30 years ago I was paying $1.25 for a school lunch

How much are school lunches now?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Lunches here are around $2.50

2nd

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Lunches were 35 cents when I went to school. by the time I was out it was a dollar.

Its expensive now. 2.50 to 3.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I caught it but it just didn't sound like the main sticking point to me. Obviously they would lose money if nobody was buying it. But the reason nobody was buying it was because the kids ultimately didn't want it and the parents didn't make them.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by neo96

Lunches were 35 cents when I went to school. by the time I was out it was a dollar.

That's exactly what lunch cost when I was in school, though by the time I hit high school we had open campus so I usually drove home and ate whatever we had left from the previous night's supper for lunch- better than school food or fast food in town any day!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

We be old, hey?

(See, I learned proper grammar in school.)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

We are only as old as we feel sonnny. Unfortunately today I feel at least 112 years old, but tomorrow I may get lucky and feel 16 again!

edit on 7/10/13 by littled16 because: grammar!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by firemonkey

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Anyone who has raised children can attest to the fact that they can be quite finicky when it comes to their food. They will refuse to eat rather than eat something they consider "yucky". At home you can prepare certain foods in different ways until you find one that makes the food tasty to the child, but such methods are impractical in an institutional setting such as a school where foods must be prepared in mass quantity.

As children get older their tastes change and they are more open to trying different foods, but when young most children refuse to budge in their likes and dislikes and would rather go hungry than eat something that seems disgusting to them. Being a mother herself it seems like the First Lady would have understood this- unless she left the raising of her kids to others up until she was in the national spotlight, which would explain a lot!

I'm sorry, but this isn't true. This is only true for parents who let their kids run their household. If you let a kid choose, yes, they would rather eat cookies, candy, and pizza every single day. But they will eat whatever you prepare for them once they understand that is all they are getting.

This is a problem with our society, we cave into our children's stubbornness. That is all that is going on with this lunch program as well. There is a reason that many children in this country are fat...it's because when a program like this is suggested...the adults give into the crying of spoiled brats.

Star...for effs sake...Monsanto feeds our kids and we wonder why we are the fatest country on earth!

So kids that have been eating pizza and candy bars at the tax payers expense complain when the gov. substitutes actual food..and the HS complains and drops the program.

THAT is the problem with America...treating kids as if they run the world and are the center of the universe.

It's just the institutional version of parents that feed thier kids anything that they demand!

When I was a kid...if I refused to eat my dinner...it was covered in tin-foil and put in the fridge and I went to bed hungry...AND I would see my cold dinner waiting for me at breakfast time! You better believe I ate it!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Of course! Of course pretend food made at a factory and glued together and died to be the right color is cheaper than REAL food.

But WTF is the cost to health?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join