It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York school drops Michelle Obama lunch standards: Kids too hungry

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

The flip side of this is what happened for my mother. She rabidly HATES sweet potatoes with the passion of a thousand fiery suns, and I never quite knew why until I asked.

There was a lunch lady at her school who used to make sure the kids cleaned their plates, sort of like your dad. They used to have sweet potatoes, and my mom didn't like them. But, simply not eating them wasn't an option because of this lunch lady. One day, a boy refused to eat the sweet potatoes, and she forced this kid to eat his sweet potatoes. Everyone in the lunch room watched it, and the kid threw up his lunch. After that, my mother was terrified both of the lady and of refusing to eat anything. She also conceived a hatred of sweet potatoes.

Because of this experience, my mother preferred that my sister and I never be forced to eat anything because she knows it unfairly prejudiced her against sweet potatoes, but she can't even look at them without that memory interfering and making her feel ill. She decided it was better to teach my sister and I how to gracefully abstain and simply go hungry then to force us to eat something we'd decided we wouldn't. And she proceeded to try to tempt us with a variety of stuff throughout our growing up years.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

If you think having the kids get healthy food public schools is bad get this: I heard they also are forced to get educated there. Sounds pretty tyrannical right? Well it gets even worse: I heard they force them all to go there in buses, and even make them wear uniforms in some cases. There are also special stars involved that the kids wear.

In all seriousness though, you're making the claim that kids having to eat healthy lunches at a public school is tyranny. I really suggest about rethinking that position, or in your case, actually start thinking about that position.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by technical difficulties

Define healthy? There are like 5 million different nutrition based books out there, all saying different things, all claiming to know the right healthy way. Eggs are bad, eggs are good, eggs are bad! Back and forth, and that is just eggs. Diets are personal, and there is no one universal healthy diet. Some people claim they are fine eating nothing but veggies, that don't work for me, it makes me sickly. Some people seem to get sicker when they cut out dairy, me I am fine without much regular dairy in my diet. Some people eat all kinds of pasta all the time, some get fat off it, others thrive off it.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Our public school system is nearly 100% socialized and whether or not you luck into getting a good or even a merely decent public school can sometimes be only a margin of blocks, mere streets. And if your mother writes down a few numbers on the application that aren't exactly true to try to get you into that better school down the way, she can be sent to jail if caught just because she wants you to get a better education, or you stand for hours in line and wait anxiously to see if your name is drawn out of a lottery box to see if you luck into one of those spots in a better charter school and don't get drawn, oh well, it's back to that crumbling, failing place where you'll never learn to read, write or do arithmetic properly, but hey! at least Michelle Obama made sure they give you carrot sticks once a day.

I don't have to tell how silly you look talking about tyranny when it's already very apparently there for anyone who has fought to break their child free of the system so that child might actually learn something.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by Cuervo

Yeah, well, you know what? I don't exactly approve of that stuff either, but the difference between you and me is that I'm not arrogant enough to think that my views should be forced into the diet for the entire school. I'll just make a lunch and send it with my son when the time comes like my mother did for me.
edit on 20-10-2013 by ketsuko because: wrong word

When people say that, I don't believe it. If you were truly upset by the fact the government is dictating what our schools have for lunch, YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN UPSET ALREADY.

Is it just a coincidence that people who hate Obama are upset suddenly now that the forced food is healthy and not so lobby-driven. How do you expect anybody to believe that you just suddenly found out we've been doing this for ever.

It's like the "Obama phones". We've had them long before Obama but, now that Obama's in office, it's suddenly "aginst mah freedumbs!"

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Cuervo

ketsuko
reply to post by Cuervo

Yeah, well, you know what? I don't exactly approve of that stuff either, but the difference between you and me is that I'm not arrogant enough to think that my views should be forced into the diet for the entire school. I'll just make a lunch and send it with my son when the time comes like my mother did for me.
edit on 20-10-2013 by ketsuko because: wrong word

When people say that, I don't believe it. If you were truly upset by the fact the government is dictating what our schools have for lunch, YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN UPSET ALREADY.

Is it just a coincidence that people who hate Obama are upset suddenly now that the forced food is healthy and not so lobby-driven. How do you expect anybody to believe that you just suddenly found out we've been doing this for ever.

It's like the "Obama phones". We've had them long before Obama but, now that Obama's in office, it's suddenly "aginst mah freedumbs!"

But why does it have to be an anti Obama thing to be against this? I happen to live in, pay propert taxes in and send kids to the school district mentioned in the OP. I can assure you that the vast majority of parents here could care less who thought it up, we are far more concerned with the fact that this program cost us over $100,000 last year and the amount of food waste involved because no kids were eating it. I'm just against dumb ideas that cost 6 figures and lead to massive waste when we are already forced to make cuts to other programs like arts and the library. We had to cut roughly a half dozen positions from each of 5 schools to pay for this(as well as new football uniforms and gear but don't get me started there). This is what happens when you run a nationwide experiment. I don't doubt that the First Lady had her heart in the right place with this but I also guarantee her kids aren't subjected to the same guidelines at their posh private school. It's a little hypocritical but its not the real issue.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

ketsuko

I don't have to tell how silly you look talking about tyranny when it's already very apparently there for anyone who has fought to break their child free of the system so that child might actually learn something.
You compared a public school lunch program to tyranny. At this point, you really have no room to talk when it comes to people looking ridiculous.

Also, trying to change the subject to the public schools themselves really shows how committed you are to your asinine belief.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against you opposing this measure, I'm just against you opposing this measure in the dumbest way imaginable. If you want to say that you hate it because not a children are equal when it comes to calories and nutrients, then fine. If you want to say that you hate it because it won't achieve it's intended goal due to kids just getting bag lunches instead, then that's alright too. Just don't call it Tyranny, because it isn't.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Philippines

LadyGreenEyes

Originally posted by Philippines
Let them eat snails, mudfish they hunted, and anything else they can scavenge in the wild to eat (esp. wild plants), and then let's see how much they appreciate food when they have to forage / hunt for themselves. So spoiled...

Is that how you eat? Do you require that from your children? Wow......

Parents PAY for lunches for children that aren't given enough food in those lunches to not go hungry all day. What a thoughtless response.

Sometimes, I eat that, yes.. among other wildlife depending on the season. Do I require that from my children, well I have no children, but when my wife and I have children, then yes... it's a cultural thing. Do you have any culture where you're from?

Sounds like you depend on money for life, that's too bad =(

You stated,

Philippines
Let them eat snails, mudfish they hunted, and anything else they can scavenge in the wild to eat (esp. wild plants), and then let's see how much they appreciate food when they have to forage / hunt for themselves. So spoiled...

I stated that when parents PAY for a lunch for their children, then the children shouldn't be going hungry because of some busybody's stupid ideas about what other people's children should eat for lunch, while she eats all manner of things at various overpriced functions. She needs to mind her own business.

If you sent children to school, and paid for food, would you not expect them to actually get a meal for your money? This isn't about "depending on money" for life; it's about what is right and reasonable. You seem to miss the entire point of this issue. By the way, if you sent your children (if you have some later on) to many schools with a home-packed lunch of the sorts of foods you eat, in many places, the lunch would be taken, and the child told to eat something else, because they would decide your choices weren't right for your child. Let that sink in a moment.

These parent pay for a healthy filling lunch, and their children come home hungry. That's a problem.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

TKDRL

Define healthy? There are like 5 million different nutrition based books out there, all saying different things, all claiming to know the right healthy way. Eggs are bad, eggs are good, eggs are bad! Back and forth, and that is just eggs. Diets are personal, and there is no one universal healthy diet. Some people claim they are fine eating nothing but veggies, that don't work for me, it makes me sickly. Some people seem to get sicker when they cut out dairy, me I am fine without much regular dairy in my diet. Some people eat all kinds of pasta all the time, some get fat off it, others thrive off it.

Totally agree with you TKDRL. I'm seeing waaaay too many blanket statements in this thread. You and Wrabbit have made some great contributions in here.

Diets are so individual that it makes me sick when I see others calling everyone fat for not following some national standard or federal mandated program.
IMO, Let's just deal with this on a local state and county level.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

ketsuko
But the issue at stake is who forces what. You don't want your child forced to have only unhealthy stuff because you feel that would be wrong. You don't want that view forced down your kid's throat.

They are better off just waiting to they get home and get a hungry man. Do they think we are characters like a bugs bunny chomp chomp and the mayo is fresh. In their root they are selfish and I assume that many of them have kids.But there is not any of them that do good-immoral selfish and the kids are going to be a chips a ahoy lot of rabbits with a iron deficiency. Do you want an iron defiency? I want some I want some, Jelly beans kids says in a moaning. Can't get stuffed on those.
This is Socially unacceptable.

What happened. Mr. Peppermint he can make a bent tree lineup. If you have a newer jumbo pack of tootsie rolls. How about some radioactive tootsie rolls michelle obama do you want me losing all of my gums as well? Get a gig with mr. peppermint he can give you telephone numbers to all of the food companies that are not tied in with Monsanto and the government and our starving bellys.

Can't get stuffed on those.
edit on 23-12-2013 by Woodie75 because: add

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

jimmyx
I can't wait for the Obamas to come out and say "WE ARE GOING TO FORCE ALL REPUBLICANS AND TEA-PARTIERS TO BREATHE OXYGEN!!!!...I wonder how many republicans we could get to change over to another gas?

No not me. I have no love for the police state where we don’t have leaders. We have milk duds in a blender going up and down street corners and banning you for speech. And we have to cut down on things. Corn for food how about that well don’t discuss that or you are not American you have to use corn for your cars. The government is not playing with a fully deck of cards. We are inefficiently down the food chain to a path of skin and bones.

Kids are not even being allowed though. My stomache as a kid had so many padded compartments and you always had room for the rollups and the asparagus that you were really not in the mood to eat. I think we need to bring back a little magic and enchantment to the kids who want to grow up some day and become doctors and pilots, don't you think. These kids are growing up they are having fun more fun than you can shake a caramel bread at. This is a country of empty coke bottles and pizza leftovers.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by firemonkey

That is not necessarily what the person was saying. Some children like mushrooms and some do not, while others may be allergic altogether. Some kids like hot dogs but some kids like steak. Some like broccoli and others don't while others like green beans and still others do not.

Just because a child doesn't like broccoli does not mean that child will only eat pizza, unless that is all the parents give the child to eat. However, I do not believe the majority of parents give their children junk food to eat daily. I have two kids and my children eat veggies and onions and one loves mushrooms and one really likes salad. They both get exercise. And they are 19 and almost 17 so they are old enough to make proper decisions. Yes, they enjoy pizza once in a great while, but mostly they eat their veggies and fruits and proteins.

And it doesn't help when a large portion of the food out there has fillers and preservatives and high fructose corn syrup and MSG and such. If we ate the food our grandparents grew up on, there wouldn't be overweight kids. Instead, the US has allowed government to infiltrate our foods in such a manner that has become harmful to society because they allow High Fructose Corn Syrup and MSG in our foods as well as Aspartame, etc.

edit on 23-12-2013 by MountainEnigma because: added words.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by peter vlar

Obama is one of those who mistake their good looks and good luck for genius. Don’t mistake this botched up menu for genius. This is another botched government program. They will be a little lop sided but bump and rope they won't need to do the excersize to burn off the fat that is accumulated on a grasshopper diet. Divided bread crumbs or divided grasshopper parts so much being a kid in the days of the oil cartels running the world. Is that part of being a kid you eat and then it is nap time well maybe that is the younger grades the kids are allowed to sleep and make the teachers less stressed out. Food makes you tired and then you wake up with loads of energy don’t people in white house pay attention to the Jane Fonda and health stress health videos and that simmons guy you can get a lot more done food gives your brain energy to think and that can be how your kid does well.

I’m a city boy and in the city we were told that you can grow up and be a healthy person not having to cry for your beans and spoiled onions. Not really into the graze of getting so fat that you can’t remove your butt from a nonstick skillet. The front of the engine of government is very greasy looking. Looks like works good for kids beefy up. They have some fruit some farm fruit and vegetables in the van, I remember seeing watermelons.

A bad economic picture gets politicians voted out of office.
edit on 27-12-2013 by Woodie75 because: a

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join