It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York school drops Michelle Obama lunch standards: Kids too hungry

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ezwip

I certainly hope your comment on government stepping in to help raise a child was sarcasm. If not then good grief... God help us all!!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I don't blame her for trying there is something most definitively wrong with what we are feeding our kids I for one remember when the fat kid was the odd one out now it's the in shape kid who is odd, in some corners of the U.S fresh produce is hard to come by everything is processed concentrated with sugar fats and salts for taste but very little nutritional value poorer families make regular use of Mc Donald for lunch breakfast and dinner.

My last visit to NYC I could not believe the amount of walking bags of lards and NYC is by far not the fattest state or city. things started taking a turn for the worst when the Gipper declared Ketchup a vegetable in the 80ts since then corporations have flooded the school with good tasting junk.

Junk Food Availability in Schools Raises Obesity "Schools that are under financial pressure are more likely to make junk food available to their students." Researchers and public health officials are currently at a loss to explain the rapid rise in weight problems among children and adolescents that began in the 1980s. Concerns about the long-term health consequences of overweight have ignited a debate about school policies that make junk food available to students in school. While the revenues generated by in-school junk food sales fund a wide variety of discretionary school programs, some school district officials consider the link between junk food and overweight intuitively plausible. They have instituted policies to ban or reduce access to junk food despite the fact that little is known about whether access to junk foods in school really does contribute to obesity.
www.nber.org...

pls klik and read more^

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I would bet you dollars to doughnuts that HER kids don't eat those options. Bet she doesn't, either. We all know how she scarfs down food! Even O stated that it wasn't wise to get in between her and a burger. Kids that actually are overweight didn't get that way eating school lunches, either! I hope every school in the nation follows suit.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Spider879

That's not really accurate. When I was in school, we had "junk food" available, and there wasn't a major issue with overweight kids. Kids that did, and do, have weight problems don't have them as a result of a single meal at school. The overweight people I knew ate a lot OUT of school. At home, out with friends, whatever. Some people are simply overweight. Better PE programs would be a real help, instead of trying to starve the kids.

If she wants less people choosing McD for the value, she should talk to her husband about fixing the economy, instead of trashing it further.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a full report shows those kids throw away most of their food.

if i threw away most of my food, id be hungry too.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   

OP, do you have a link to a source that describes completely the menu and the portions? Until then, it's rather difficult to make a judgement call on this matter (I looked through 7 of 10 pages on this thread and found no such links). The Washington Times -- a wonderful, conservative propaganda organ owned by the Moonies, to be sure -- article provided no such details or links. Half a chicken patty on a croissant seems a little small, I agree, but the article fails to say what grades/ages are involved, or what else was in this meal. For that matter, why not a few full example menus? Seems this article is at least as light on facts as the meals were on nutritional content.

As for short-changing school children of nutrition in their school lunches, I remember the glory daze of the Reagan administration, when the Gipper and his cronies decreed ketchup a vegetable. And the pink slime BS dates back to the Bush II regime, which enacted regulations to allow for such crap to be used by food processors for commercial, school and prison use.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   

She basically told us to feed our kids garbage and gmos ,while her kids eat ...yeah,nothing of the sort.
You do know ,this is why the FDA reclassified pizza as a vegetable ,right ?

Pizza vendors lobbied for it ,and if its now a vegetable,its on her agenda,and can still be on school menus.
pizza ,if classified as what it really is,wouldn't have made the healthy classification,and would have been removed from the menu .

Frozen pizza vendors for schools,were up in arms at how much money they would lose being removed from school menus ,so the FDA made pizza a vegetable .fail .

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

finally some people with some brains.why any school at all would adopt this stupid ugly foolish idea she put forth was amazing to me.my kids say since this has been adopted school lunches now are the worst ever.foolish and brainless in my opinion,change the menu in the Whitehouse,and leave the public alone,we don't need your opinion
on what we eat.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

You're more than welcome to do that research for us and come back with the word for word breakdown of a school lunch menu at this school. In the meantime, I'll take the Washington Posts's story..coupled with others running across media, for a story I've been loosely following since it's original announcement anyway.

Frankly, I don't have the hour or more in free time right now to check up on the media for a story I have no problems at all with credibility for anyway. It fits, is par for the course of the program described and dovetails well with how it's been handled since it began. I'll look forward to seeing that extra material you figure is lacking tho!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

At least she hasn't suggested the schools all start their own little gardens like she and the kids did at the White House. Of course, I'd love to know HOW much of that garden was the work of anyone in the First Family vs. showing up to move a little soil, get the photos taken and then tell the gardners to get everything looking right again. lol....

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Well of course its for the white house only . You don't want average people eating anything but gmos they buy at Walmart

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Let them eat snails, mudfish they hunted, and anything else they can scavenge in the wild to eat (esp. wild plants), and then let's see how much they appreciate food when they have to forage / hunt for themselves. So spoiled...

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Counting calories is not the correct way to maintain ideal weight. This kind of program without attention to eating the proper amount of fats, which brings about satiety and exercise which stokes the metabolism is futile.

Each individual is going to have a different ratio. This kind of program should begin with an exercise module that is easy to maintain on a daily basis. School wide walking/running combined with teaching about the proper ratios of fats, proteins and carbohydrates would be the starting point.

Students would then have the proper understanding to focus on choosing the best foods to stoke their individual metabolism. Everyone's requirements are not going to be the same.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The problem is not that kids eat pizza, or hamburgers or fries in school. We ate that all the time as kids. But after school was out, we went home, changed clothes and actually went outside. Playing tag, riding bikes, playing baseball or football, going exploring in the woods...

The problem is parents letting the Playstation or XBox babysit their kids, instead of telling them to get the hell outside.

Hell, at that age, if all I was offered was vegetables for lunch, I would have tossed them in the garbage and went hungry as well.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

Good point. I have heard now that kids can get out of gym class pretty easy these days too, No first hand knowledge of the truthfulness of that, but if true, very alarming.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by MrInquisitive

You're more than welcome to do that research for us and come back with the word for word breakdown of a school lunch menu at this school. In the meantime, I'll take the Washington Posts's story..coupled with others running across media, for a story I've been loosely following since it's original announcement anyway.

Frankly, I don't have the hour or more in free time right now to check up on the media for a story I have no problems at all with credibility for anyway. It fits, is par for the course of the program described and dovetails well with how it's been handled since it began. I'll look forward to seeing that extra material you figure is lacking tho!

Well that's good to know that you are a person who will accept anything as gospel, which is printed by a newspaper that was founded by the cult established by Reverend Sung Myung Moon, and still is owned by said cult. I'll remember this affirmation on your part the next time I read a comment or thread of yours, knowing now what you take for fact.

That aside, I genuinely am curious what the new Dept. of Agriculture standards are for kids' lunches, and what the meals were that the kids in New York weren't taking to. As I said before, I'm holding off judgement on whether or not the purportedly healthier lunch menus were a bad idea or not until I learn more. Here was your chance to convince me of yet another perfidy on the part of Obama or his uppity wife, but you dropped the ball -- oh well.

No, it isn't your job to provide that information, although I would think that you would wish to do so for the sake of providing some rigor and substance to your thread, and it is rather lazy of you not doing so and basing a thread on such a fact-barren piece of journalism as this Washington Times article; however, I can understand how you and your conservative, reactionary fellow travelers would like to have one more thing to carp about regarding the Obama administration, and how this is a great way to get a dig in on the First Lady as well. As is, your thread and this Washington Times article make for rather weak sauce as a condemnation of Michelle Obama's nutrition/healtful-eating program. Honestly, I'm fairly agnostic on this matter; I think school lunches should be made healthier, and fewer junk food items should be available in schools, but I have no information to go on as to what the Dept. of Ag's nutritional guidelines are for school lunches.

To be clear, I have a boatload of grievances against the Obama administration, but here at ATS it seems like there is a certain group of folks who like to go after made-up/hyped-up issues related to said administration, rather than his real failures and malfeasances -- if not out-right crimes.

But I'll have the research staff look into this issue a bit and see what information it can gleam from an online search. If I find anything either way, you can be darn sure I'll report back with it here.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philippines
Let them eat snails, mudfish they hunted, and anything else they can scavenge in the wild to eat (esp. wild plants), and then let's see how much they appreciate food when they have to forage / hunt for themselves. So spoiled...

Is that how you eat? Do you require that from your children? Wow......

Parents PAY for lunches for children that aren't given enough food in those lunches to not go hungry all day. What a thoughtless response.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
The problem is not that kids eat pizza, or hamburgers or fries in school. We ate that all the time as kids. But after school was out, we went home, changed clothes and actually went outside. Playing tag, riding bikes, playing baseball or football, going exploring in the woods...

The problem is parents letting the Playstation or XBox babysit their kids, instead of telling them to get the hell outside.

Hell, at that age, if all I was offered was vegetables for lunch, I would have tossed them in the garbage and went hungry as well.

Ditto!

My kids school at home, and yes, they DO eat some "junk foods". They are all very healthy, good weight, fit, and very seldom sick. They watch TV and play video games, and they also go outside and run around. The youngest has muscle tone I would kill for, with no "exercise program". They are simply kids. We had burgers, fried, pizza, and stuff for lunches at times, and other days had other things. The fat kids (the few there were) ate more away from school, and didn't do much of anything. Plus, when the person pushing this program feeds herself all the stuff she says is bad fo rthe kids, it reeks of hypocrisy.

Originally posted by TKDRL

Good point. I have heard now that kids can get out of gym class pretty easy these days too, No first hand knowledge of the truthfulness of that, but if true, very alarming.

When I was in school (back in the dark ages :lol
, we could get out of gym ONLY if there was some other program that had exercise. The marching band could, which my sister was in, and JROTC, which I was in, because, in both cases, we marched. I can tell you, in my case we got a lot more real exercise than I did in PE. Other than that, only a real medical issue was excused, and those were typically for a short time. These days, I don't know what the rules are. Mine aren't in the schools. Can try and find out from a couple of teachers I know.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Why does this feel like a prelude to Armageddon? Maybe kids don’t need food, we have android phones they can watch food on the food channel.That really gets rid of the need food. Heard of pork barrel politics? Have you had a dream about a roast? The way globalism works is that we are all going to be dreaming of food! When I was a kid my parents served me strange spinach, ah, spinach is awesome.

This democracy experiment is probably coming to end, if things like this persist and we don’t have more parents drive them peanuts to speaking.That is poisoned and evil and continues to get more so.

I guess that Michelle Obama does not.

What options do kids have today?

Michelle pokes.

Does Halliburton contract out the food now for the elementary?

In my state they are stingy for cutting the budget for milk snacks.

Cool, cut the school budgets and have the kids looking so like a democracy,

Why don’t that Geraldo do a show You’re a reporter ain't ya? I hate the media they really don’t seem to care,
Or no?
edit on 19-10-2013 by MarkScheppy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

TKDRL

Michelle Obama should take lessons from Betty Crocker. The down in Texas group may have to substitute in. Decadent Who wants kids to starve? In my state they are stingy for cutting the budget for milk snacks. I like Tomato soup! Substitute youngkins would eat tomato soup for a lunch? Did you know that a can of campbells soup has sea salt in it. Sea Salt! yum.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join