It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (1st edition)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

When I DM I follow the following Natural 20 guidelines.

A natural 20 is an automatic hit, not a kill.

Two twenties in a row is a automatic hit, with a D100 roll after to determine extra effect.

Three 20's in a row is an instant Kill, no matter the creature or the character who rolled them. The chances of that are too grand.

Now I also do fumbles, which means a 1 differently as well.

Once you roll a 1, I roll to see how bad your fumble was. If I roll high than bad things happen to you, but if I roll a low number or a 1, maybe nothing happens at all. Maybe you break your bow string instead of shooting your friend.

D&D is all about imagination, and you are totally correct, the rules are not something a good DM will follow to the letter.

There are many rules in D&D that are just stupid.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I tend to play with a lot of people often enough, and we try and keep the sessions reasonable for time (therefore the less die rolling, the better). So, for me, a 20 auto-hits, and is also a critical (no reroll needed). I do try and be creative, in describing the spectacular hit. If it kills, it's like a fatality in Mortal Kombat kind of thing. If it doesn't kill, it could sever a limb, get an eye, etc. I also am known for designing magic weapons that do something unusual on a critical hit (like an electrical surge, or knockback effect, etc.)

Like you, a natural 1 is what we call a catastrophic failure. Even if the bonuses would allow one to hit, a 1 is a miss. This could be anything from your sword sticking into a wall, to a bowstring breaking, or hitting an ally, or something that is just embarrassing (like, while pulling your sword from its sheath, you slice your belt and your pants fall down), etc.

It's all driven by the story, and is about making sure the players have fun and have gaming war stories to tell.

edit on 10-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

See we won't play unless we have at least 6 hours to spare. I hate short games cause there's no character development and the story never goes anywhere.

I don't do auto critical though, it makes feats like Improved Critical or weapons like a rapier almost useless.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Nah, that feat, and the weapon still allow for crits at lesser numbers. I used to play a Bard who had Weapon Finesse and Weapon Focus with a Rapier, along with Improved Critical, and he may not do damage like a warrior, but he usually hit what the heck he was going for (especially if he cast True Strike first). (and he often did critical damage, though with a Rapier it wasn't much, but still).....

We typically play for about 6 hours also, but with 6 or more people, it can get bogged down if too many die rolling encounters. Typically, we do a "sandwich" where the first part is in town, then the dungeon, then a wrap up in town.
edit on 10-7-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
That's an older system.
lol

you may want to look on bittorrent for some of the books.

I don't remember if there's a GM guide for ADD 1st ed
but that might help.

though usually character creation is pretty well outlined in the players guide.

Personally I'd look into pathfinder.
It's what all the D&D Geeks are playing now.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Ah I see that.

We play 5 total, I DM and 4 other players.

We alternate a few campaigns right now.

Fallout D20 Modern
3.5 SpellJammer
D10 WarHammer40K

Our campaigns generally last over 2 years as we always play from Lv 1 to usually about 18 when things wrap up or something more interesting comes up.

I'm actually writing a source book right now for a new kind of D&D system modeled after a Rogue Like concept.

I'll need some play testers in the future, let me know if you're interested

As for the rapier, there are like a dozen different magical enhancements that up the damage quite effectively.

Sizing for example is quite useful. Medium create can get a D8 out of it instead of the D6, plus the 1.5X damage for two handed at that point and the rest of the nice feats like power attack, weapon focus, weapon specialization. You can really really be a deadly Rapier user.

I'm currently playing a Monk/Fighter (Lv 16, 8 Fighter, 8 Monk) cross class that uses a spiked chain and specializes in grappling and trip attacks. It's brutal.

~Tenth
edit on 7/10/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I appreciate this thread. I fell under the spell of painting minis and enjoyed playing them ages ago. Although when I returned to mini painting years later they never saw action. Just enjoyed bringing them to life.

i1039.photobucket.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

edit on 10-7-2013 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by skalla
You do realise that you are putting your immortal soul in danger by playing that creation of Beelzebub???

run for your lives!
edit on 10-7-2013 by skalla because: smegging typo

Hilarious D&D Chick Tract
edit on 10-7-2013 by skalla because: linky

Ya, sure, they try to make it look good like that.

I played a half orc bard...
They should have warned me that it was actually just prep to be a ugly toothy sickly skinned person who sings out of tune.

...shoulda rolled a wizard.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
As the old saying goes, play with fire, get burnt.

D&D is in fact a form of mind enslavement

Deaths: "12-year-old Colorado boy murdered his 16-year-old brother and then killed himself.

"Two 17-year-olds (boy & girl) killed themselves by carbon monoxide poisoning in a Chicago garage.

"17-year-old Texas boy walked onto his drama classroom stage, put a sawed-off shotgun to his head and fired.

"Kansas Eagle scout candidate 14 years old, allegedly walked into his junior high school and opened fire with a rifle, killing the principal and three others."

Dungeons & Dragons is the common thread in these and other tragedies, reports an article in the Australian Federation for Decency Journal.

Thomas Radecki, M.D. (Psychiatrist) University of Illinois has this to say:

"The evidence in these cases is really quite impressive. There is no doubt in my mind that the game Dungeons & Dragons is causing young men to kill themselves and others. .."

Other documented cases:

"17-year-old boy, suicide by gunshot, 1981. Parents saw him summoning D & D demons only moments before.

"16-year-old boy, suicide by gunshot, 1982. Only hours after a D&D curse placed on him in D&D game.

"16-year-old boy, suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning. Satanic writings and suicide note linked death to D&D.

"18-year-old boy, suicide by hanging, 1983. Noted to be possessed by D&D as if living the game.

"16 & 12-year-olds murder, suicide, 1984. Detective report, "No doubt D&D cost them their lives."

THE GAMES THEY TEACH OUR CHILDREN

Playing with conjuring games such as Dungeons and Dragons and Demons can also open people up for possession. Dave, a fifteen year old male, had a demon entity who claimed to come in when he was playing Dungeons and Dragons."

You may dismiss this believing only a small number of people are possessed by demons. Yet this is not the case either. The vast majority of souls on earth have been infiltrated by earthbound or demon spirits due to holes in their aura and a fragmented soul caused by emotional, mental or physical trauma over the course of their many lives on earth.

Our recommendation is that if you do not wish to be possessed by demon spirits that you stay well clear of the Ouija Board or any game that requires you to cast spells and conjure demons. These dark spirits are waiting patiently for the right opportunity to join with new human hosts, and they do this subtly, using a method called "partial possession". This means the demon spirit can gain entry into your soul undetected, and give you the impression that it is a part of your normal fear-based human ego that is already negative in nature. How will you know the difference? You can't, and that is the point.

Dungeons and Dragons and Demon Possession

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

GTFO...how many millions of young people have played D&D? lots, yes while one or two people may have been effected by it (but come on they were not right before D&D).
The benefits for young kids playing roleplaying games are huge, It helps writing skills, imagination, social interaction and it is fun.
I helped a primary school teacher make a D&D light game for kids who are shy and withdrawn and she has reported to me that it has worked wonders for them, they are more confident more chatty and more sociable, she is writing a paper to the teaching newspaper telling them the strides she has made with these kids due to D&D roleplaying.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Most people who play Dungeons and Dragons secretly want to believe in the world of spirit and do not believe playing a board game can in any way harm their soul. Yet this is not the case. In this game, spells are cast and demons are conjured, all in the name of acquiring more power and victory over your gaming opponent. What the majority of people who play this game do not know is whenever they cast spells or conjure up demons they are giving the "green light" for demon spirits to enter their soul.

Article Source: EzineArticles.com...

Thanks man I needed a laugh!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Also this bit

all in the name of acquiring more power and victory over your gaming opponent.

Which gaming opponent? the dungeon master? it is a team game it helps make friendships (my best pal in the world I met through a D&D club)..
I bet the guy has never even played it..

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid
As the old saying goes, play with fire, get burnt.

D&D is in fact a form of mind enslavement

Whereas religion of course, is quite the opposite, right ?

So... we have countless massacres perpetrated in the name of christ, and you managed to link, what, 6 dead guys who played D&D ? You need to boost your wisdom if you're to be an efficient cleric.

Please just leave.

On a brighter (geddit?) note, I play my own rules loosely adapted from the old rolemaster system. I prefer the simulation feel it has to it, D&D is too arcade for my liking, especially the fourth edition, which is basically a wargame. When a character gets hit by a sword, he gets hit by a sword. He doesn't lose 3 HP. Well he does, but he also loses his finger.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I made a roleplay thread here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

We can talk about many sytems

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

The benefits for young kids playing roleplaying games are huge, It helps writing skills, imagination, social interaction and it is fun.

Don't forget math skills and critical thinking with problem solving.

Once, in a tournament, we had placed 2nd in the semi-final, so we had 2nd pick of the pregenerated PC groups for the final. The leading team picked the GOOD group, we picked the EVIL group (the rest were all NEUTRAL). I played the evil cleric of the group. The finale dungeon was designed to sap strength. We encountered shadows at one point. The tournament DM scoffed when I said I was going to rebuke (command) them. He said, do you mean turn them? I said no, they are mine....they are now my playthings! He seemed confused (not used to playing evil I guess). After a couple of DMs consulted, they realized their error, hehe.... I sent the entire group of shadows to waste another competing party. We simply watched the fun as they died (most wondering why the shadows weren't attacking us). Their druid was the only survivor (and fled). (my shadows were gone though, somehow, by the end, even though not defeated)

Pesky druids. The next PC group we encountered suffered a similar fate. We had Minor Globe of Invulnerability on our party. We heard them coming, so Hasted our Con fighter (who had Giant Strength gloves on, from the only member of our party that died, due to some instant death trap in the dungeon). They tried to fireball us, then watched in horror as it failed to do anything vs. the Globe. We Slowed them, fireballed them, and then had our Con fighter (who is now a human Cuisinart) slash the survivors to ribbons. Their damn druid also survived (and fled, even getting through our Snare spell we put down to prevent flight), dammit! That shapechange ability heals. He was their only survivor. We took 0 damage during the battle. The joy of watching a bunch of people rip up their character sheets and be out of the competition is just too much, I have to say.....

Sadly, we didn't win though, mostly due to an admitted DM error (our DM was confused about the final objective bit, and the contest rules precluded DM error affecting the outcome). Technically, we won by doing the objective first, but by the rules, we came in 2nd again in the final. At least we got some free stuff and a lot of fun out of it. Was our very first tournament too.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Personally I'd look into pathfinder.
It's what all the D&D Geeks are playing now.

If I didn't have so many 3rd edition books, I'd agree with you. I do use a lot of Pathfinder material though. It is seamlessly compatible with 3rd edition D&D. One of the best things they have is NPC decks. I have a binder that has card collector pages, with all of these NPC portrait cards organized. This way, the NPCs my players meet in the game can put a face to a name, and makes the NPC more real.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Skada

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by sparrowstail

Those are cool! Where do you get them?

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I have a small group of friends that are interested. Maybe a party of 4, plus the DM.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

Thanks for the kind words. They come un-assembled, and gun metal grey. The need to be epoxied, filled, primed, and painted.
This is one place. [url= www.reapermini.com...] There are others if your google-fu is good.
edit on 11-7-2013 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join