It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 10 Most Ridiculous Military Regulations, Customs, And Courtesies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
www.businessinsider.com...

While I agree that many of these are inane, there is a reason, no matter how poorly thought out for most everything the military does. Most Vets and their families can attest to this. After three decades of service, I could add oh …so…much …more. But I will refrain, for now. But yep...I was "that guy".

The 10 Most Ridiculous Military Regulations, Customs, and Courtesies

1. No chilling with hands in your pockets.
- I was guilty of this quite often. Often a NCO would yell at me to take my hands out of pockets while asking if I thought I was in the Air Force. I always replied that since I was born in a USAF hospital, I was authorized at birth.

2. Reflective belts on EVERYTHING and EVERYONE.
- Pretty much ignored this one except when doing PT stateside. Plenty of ass chewing though.

3. Haircuts every week.
- I was probably the longest haired guy in the 82d Airborne for a decade. But it was always within regs, just not the 82d’s standards.

4. Special parking privileges for colonels, generals, and senior enlisted.
- Only the wives seemed to use these. Who says spouses are not a political force?

5. Not walking on grass, ever, unless you're mowing it.
- Never understood this one and rarely saw it enforced.

6. Standing at parade rest when talking to senior service members.
- I have no problem with this. This is a sign of respect for the rank, if not the person. Besides, almost without fail they’ll tell you to at ease or rest.

7. Weekend liberty briefs and car inspections.
- These became a source of a lot of comedy amongst the troops. Annoyed the hell out or leadership with off the cuff questions and comments.

8. Doing Operational Risk Management (ORM) paperwork for pick-up basketball.
- THIS should be #1. ORM paperwork has grown into an insatiable monster, and a waste of time. It’s mainly used to fry somebody if an accident happens.

9. Walking and talking on a cell phone
- I have no problem with this and it is also rarely enforced. It just looks unprofessional and is a safety issue. I watched a guy walk off a loading dock bumping his gums on a cell phone. It was hilarious.

10. Checking in and checking out.
- Also known as in and out processing. In-processing was tedious but easy, but out-processing is a real pain in the @$$

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Some regulations can be worked to your advantage. As a Military Police Private in the 90's on Fort Eustis VA there was an Officers course for young LT's. We would park near the building that the "students" were issued course books (two arms full) and they had to walk to another building where their rooms were.

Well as the train of butter bars walked out with arms full of books, we would casually walk by and give a smart salute and issue the greeting of the day. Yes you guessed it, the Lt's had to drop the stack of books on the ground and return our salute. I know it was juvenile but I admit I still get a smirk just thinking back on it now.
edit on 10-7-2013 by Carreau because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

In my time in the Army I learned respect which from hippy parents may have been lacking in the civilian world.

Keeping your hands in your pockets was always a weak look. Men don't do that.

To this day I take my hat off as I enter a building.. Can't help it.. when I see cops texting on cell phones I take a chuckle..

Basically if you can't be bothered to be ready for sometimes asinine commanders, you can't be always ready for battle. I saw it as an important attitude to keep at all times.
edit on 7/10/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Growing up, I always had my hands in my pockets while walking. Over time though I guess I evolved. Though sitting through briefings you could almost always see me leaning against a wall...with my hands in my pockets.
If I pulled them out, it was to take notes as in one pocket was a pen and the other a pad.

Maybe a little unconcious rebellion?

Kevlars while driving on a stateside road always went against my grain. I never enforced it nor practiced it.
edit on 10-7-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA due to fat paws.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I love your posts.

"Maybe a little unconscious rebellion?"

I'm sure.

Now we just need more of the same. A LOT more.

edit on 7/10/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
How about that woman can get pregnant, skip deployment, wear oversized BDUs and not have to participate with exercises. Yet, males can't grow beards.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Get assigned to JSOC, every single operator in the field had a beard.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Well, yeah I realize that.
But for the regular Joe, it doesn't happen.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Standing Fast... hmm still confused..lol

Oh.. you want to know who the Highest Rank in the miltary is?
an Officer's Wife..

Oh.. for Marines only.. not allowed to wear cammies off base..???

yet where I was, all 3 other branches could go all over in cammies..
edit on 10-7-2013 by HanzHenry because: idea

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
How about that woman can get pregnant, skip deployment, wear oversized BDUs and not have to participate with exercises. Yet, males can't grow beards.

I was ordered to grow a beard,, and no more high and tights.. low reg or nothing,..lol

when you see A.D. with beards.. special rules

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by HanzHenry
Standing Fast... hmm still confused..lol

Oh.. you want to know who the Highest Rank in the miltary is?
an Officer's Wife..

Oh so true. And one to beware of as well.

Oh.. for Marines only.. not allowed to wear cammies off base..???

yet where I was, all 3 other branches could go all over in cammies..

I rarely departed base in uniform and NEVER had all those unit and huaah stickers on my truck. And since I had longer than normal hair for Ft. Bragg, most people never thought I was a Soldier. I knew that I was a Soldier and so did my leadership and troops. That was good enough for me.

Truck was never vandalized either at Bragg, but I saw plenty that were and they all had stickers on them. It was even worse at Ft. Lewis, WA. That's where I lost my truck when anarchists set fire to it during one of the G-8 summits. But that's just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But it still pisses me off to this day.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by HanzHenry

I was ordered to grow a beard,, and no more high and tights.. low reg or nothing,..lol

when you see A.D. with beards.. special rules

It's called relaxed grooming standards in the Army. During my time in the Balkans, I rarely wore a uniform, my team drove NTV's. We could have a drink if offered (which was often) and pretty much had run of the house...as long as we were mission oriented, it was all good.

It drove the conventional guys nuts. But they always wanted to leave the wire with us.

BEST...TOUR...EVER!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Wow, funny hat hat guys get all the fun toys,they could have at least issued scouts a suppressed pistol for those times when the bad guys get too close. We only got our basic load in D Storm.
But I do have a special moment I recall.
Before we deployed to the war Atrp 1/7 Cav was in a division formation in a parade for Gen Tilelli. He actually ordered us not to bring any knives over six inches.

Have you ever heard an entire platoon snicker spontaniously?
All the segeants saying "shut up" as authoritatively as they could without showing any movement.
We never heard a thing about it because we were up front where few officers tread... and stupid 2nd platoon fired on our own Chenowyths,idiots.

I carried Gerber Guardian II and about 4 other knives so it was a forgone conclusion for me.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

You could almost be my clone.
Our lives are that similiar. I'm a Zoomie brat as well and enlisted as a Scout to spite him.
But I was always a light scout (LRSD). Moved on to NBC (they call it CBRNE nowadays) where once they found out I used to be a scout, off to the scout platoon I went, and then moved on to Tactical PSYOP.

Scouts Out!,,,always in my heart at least. I'm sure I've told you this before...deja vu?

But I've always had the small team concept drilled into my head. It taught you to think for yourself which almost always went against the grain of the higher ups.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I have memory issues so I wouldn't know,if you have a thing for Klingons too...
I was adopted I have no idea about my biological parents so who knows?

new topics

top topics

join