It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

23 Million-Year-Old Lizard Found Preserved in Amber

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

source www.natureworldnews.com...

The amber encasing the vertebrate is approximately 1.8 inches by .5 inches, Fox reports, and while the discovery does not mark the first time an Anolis lizard was found preserved in ancient reisn, scientists believe it may be the first of its kind in other ways: found in the Simojovel amber deposits of the northern part of the southeastern state of Chiapas, the creature was preliminarily identified as representing a new species of the genus Anolis.

This is pretty cool. 23 MY's old! Wonder what they will find out with this find? Or. will it just be place somewhere and that's that!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Nice find, interesting enough.

Sadly i was hoping for tissues.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Me too! First thing I though about as soon as I saw the article (like you) was cloned dinosaurs "Jurassic Park"!

Maybe one day! Or..maybe in some secret lab. .this is being done already? I think this is possible.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
reply to post by luciddream

Me too! First thing I though about as soon as I saw the article (like you) was cloned dinosaurs "Jurassic Park"!
It's probably too old to clone the lizard but if they did it would be like Jurassic Park in reverse. The tiny lizards would be afraid of the big humans, in fact you could easily step on one if you're not careful. But somehow visiting a park where you don't have a chance of getting eaten by the exhibits doesn't seem as exciting.

It's amazing how amber preserves things.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Awesome find for both the op and amber miner.. I know the miners that find any inclusions have to report immediately.. It ups the value exponentially..

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I love these kinds of finds, thank you for sharing it. I google translated the linked Mexican article which also mentioned preserved remains of skin and soft tissue, a truelly fascinating discovery.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

sir i want to ask something..if that lizard came from 23 million years ago that mean from dinosaourus era..then why this lizard so small?? in that year even the mosquito can big as your finger..tq so much..nice info sir

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheesy

sir i want to ask something..if that lizard came from 23 million years ago that mean from dinosaourus era..then why this lizard so small?? in that year even the mosquito can big as your finger..tq so much..nice info sir

Well, the big guys got "smacked", (the asteroid that hit and caused an extinction event, almost) around 65-66 million years ago.

I guess these little guys survived and (with a few small mammals and other small critters) kept on truckin.

The Mesozoic Era is an interval of geological time from about 252 to 66 million years ago. It is also called the Age of Reptiles

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Life...finds a way.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
cool if you believe the earth is 23 million years old

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidWalker

Yea!
When they get anything past @6000 years they just make up some numbers.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Great find, and always funny how most people think about Jurassic Park movie.... here is paleontologiest Jack Horner's take on that...

So I assume everybody knows that if you actually had a piece of amber and it had an insect in it, and you drilled into it, and you got something out of that insect, and you cloned it, and you did it over and over and over again, you'd have a room full of mosquitoes. (Laughter) (Applause) And probably a whole bunch of trees as well.

source

As Jack shows in his Ted Talk, it would be much easier to modify genes in animals that are related to dinosaurs to bring back dinosaurs... His Ted Talk is very informative and great to watch...

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Why wouldn't there also be small lizards among the big guys? that's also a survival strategy of sorts.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninepointfive

Why wouldn't there also be small lizards among the big guys? that's also a survival strategy of sorts.

There weren't any big reptiles left 23 million years ago, only smaller and aquatic (turtles etc.) surived asaik.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
"Hold on to your butts!"

top topics

join