It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The entire world population if standing shoulder to shoulder & front to back.....could fit into.....

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well we can argue over definitions until the cows come home. The fact of the matter is that the planet is not overpopulated from a physically statistical point of view, we are just misusing the resources available.
As the obesity and overweight problem shows that we in the west are consuming way beyond what is necessary.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
OP makes a thread with a simple/fun tidbit..

All of ATS goes crazy
edit on 10-7-2013 by introV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by KBadger
The point of it is that it really does show that over population is a myth.

Only, if you're a simpleton.

And, the fact that this post has the most stars is scaring the sh*t out of me.

[Good, a few people corrected this ridiculous notion] - still has too many stars.
edit on 7/10/2013 by SquirrelNutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by introV
OP makes a thread with a simple/fun tidbit..

All of ATS goes crazy
edit on 10-7-2013 by introV because: (no reason given)

LOL, My speciality.

It was fun to read how this turned into population over/under discussion.

Honestly if I'd guessed, I would have pictured 300 million Americans would fit into Texas, and that is what many people I've talked to about this today have guessed as well.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SquirrelNutz

The point of it is that it really does show that over population is a myth.

Only, if you're a simpleton.

And, the fact that this post has the most stars is scaring the sh*t out of me.

[Good, a few people corrected this ridiculous notion] - still has too many stars.
edit on 7/10/2013 by SquirrelNutz because: (no reason given)

Wow, dare to speak your mind on ATS and get insulted left, right and centre. Seems like some people are forgetting this is a conspiracy site and some have "star envy"

Overpopulation
edit on 10-7-2013 by KBadger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The earth is like one big Petri dish...only so much space, only so much resources.

Introduce an organism into a Petri dish and what happens?

....it uses up all the available resources and then dies in its own waste

....happens everytime

The sky isn't falling there Chicken Little, but we had better begin to address this GROWING situation...
...or at some point in the future nature will decide it for us

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlchemistSwami
Rhode Island.
If every one needed an average of 4 square feet (2'x2') we could all fit in Rhode Islands 1200 square miles easily. Rounding up to 28 million sq. ft. Per sq. mile, dividing then by the 4 sq. ft. Per person, you get 7 million people per sq mile, so with Rhode Islands roughly 1200 sq miles, then 8,400,000,000 (8 billion) people could stand shoulder to shoulder in Rhode Island. The entire world population could stand like this, in 4 square foot blocks, into Americas smallest state. I find that shocking, but was curious what a mob of 300 million Americans would look like say from space, and crunched the numbers.
edit on 10-7-2013 by AlchemistSwami because: Spelling

Well, if worse comes to worse, we no have a great place to cage in the human race.

Great thinking, it's also an island--- so even if a couple of the bastards managed to escape, they'd surely be swept against the rocks.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

I guess you aren't a fan of humans.
Rhode Island isn't an island, or even a peninsula.
Rhode Island
It does have water on two of its sides however, so if all humans squeezed in there, perhaps your wish could happen.

This post was moved to General Chit Chat, and I had no idea such an innocent and simple idea could inspire so many to have such a variety of thoughts on the matter.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AlchemistSwami

Relax! Just my odd humor, I was doing an imitation of the Elites of the world...

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Over populated or Over crowded,
same myth. If we'd all fit in RI, imagine
how much of the Earth that leaves for Farming
and Fresh water collection..wait let me do some quick
math... Ok, let's see that would leave ALL of it.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlchemistSwami
Rhode Island.
If every one needed an average of 4 square feet (2'x2') we could all fit in Rhode Islands 1200 square miles easily. Rounding up to 28 million sq. ft. Per sq. mile, dividing then by the 4 sq. ft. Per person, you get 7 million people per sq mile, so with Rhode Islands roughly 1200 sq miles, then 8,400,000,000 (8 billion) people could stand shoulder to shoulder in Rhode Island. The entire world population could stand like this, in 4 square foot blocks, into Americas smallest state. I find that shocking, but was curious what a mob of 300 million Americans would look like say from space, and crunched the numbers.
edit on 10-7-2013 by AlchemistSwami because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

True, it really made the point of visualizing a sort of biomass that the human population makes up.
and of course, a decent guideline for those that build prisons..LOL

The really sad thing is that this relatively small mass of population can use be a huge burden on resources.
We require "stuff" every single day of our long lifespans. Lots of that "stuff" does not get replenished at nearly the rate of consumption. And tomorrow, that total population number will be significantly larger. I recall the world population being less than half of current population only a few decades ago. So the burden grows and grows.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Well we can argue over definitions until the cows come home. The fact of the matter is that the planet is not overpopulated from a physically statistical point of view, we are just misusing the resources available.
As the obesity and overweight problem shows that we in the west are consuming way beyond what is necessary.

You use the physical space argument to try and justify the lack of resources problem - this does not work. They are two distinct issues, the latter being the more crucial consideration that you keep deflecting.

The obesity and overweight argument is a weak one. The number of people that go without enough food and basic living necessities FAR outweigh the number of people that have these things in excess. Even if every single overweight person with too many possessions (which by the way are not attributes exclusive to those living in the West) were to sacrifice all their excesses, there would still not be enough resources to provide for everyone that needs them.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It,s a math problem not an environmental comment. Geez lighten up

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   
It's the wrong island, anyway.
The world's population stands on the Isle of Wight.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Hardly pointless! The reason all the, undoubtedly liberal/left people who are responding so hostility to this post is simple - even if they themselves don’t quite understand why is so self evident.

On planet Earth, Rhode Island is a virtual pin drop. Yet, we could fit, not only the entire Earth’s population into it but have room left over for an addition two billion plus more. This simple math exercise destroys their zealous belief that humans can effect climate change to any appreciable degree. Even they, if only subconsciously, must admit to themselves, that so proportionally small a group is unable to jeopardize Mother Earth that has already withstood billions of years of collisions with giant asteroids, ice ages, hot spells where both of Earth’s poles were not of frozen ice but, ocean. To say nothing of the volcanic eruptions most of which have, individually, spewed more carbon into the atmosphere than everything man has produced from the industrial age through today. Don’t expect them to change there minds however as, after all, they are decidedly fundamentalist in practicing their peculiar religious beliefs. It’s their story and they are sticking to it! That is why this simple math formula frightens them so much. The Earth is extremely strong and resilient. It maintains incredible regenerative powers.

Sorry my my zealous friends but your, evangelistic cries of “repent now polluters for judgement day is upon you!” has, yet again been disproven with science and not your fundamentalist leftist religion. So sorry, thanks for playing!
edit on 2-10-2019 by jjwfuhrman because: Grammar

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
All these people need to eat something?

No only the top person needs to eat ... theoretically.

Sorry, just saw a review of The Human Centipede III.

Just had the heavily censored, ironic review here, but thought I'd rather remove it.

I guess anything's possible, but do we really want to?
edit on 2-10-2019 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join