It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Whistle?!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
So I am sitting in bed reading a book when my husband gets off of work one night.

He starts telling me about Snowden and I'm half listening and he is talking about the Government spying on us and I look up and start paying attention.

He goes on about monitoring calls and emails and blahblahblah and I go "So what exactly did he blow the whistle on?"

He repeats everything he said, emphasis on cell monitoring and spying.

I go "Ohhhh he let loose that they can spy on us when the phone and computer are turned off! Wow. "

He looks at me funny and goes "No..." and continues to tell me what he told me to begin with.

My turn to look at him funny. "I think you read this wrong wherever you read it, we already knew all that" and go back to my book.

He gets frustrated and goes "No you don't hear me" and goes through the whole thing again.

I said "Yeah I heard you but we ALREADY know all this, this is nothing new, this has been since 9/11 isn't this public knowledge?"

To which he gets frustrated and gives up and I roll my eyes at him not knowing.

NOW...

Am I the only one? Have I just been on to conspiracy for too long? Did I miss something here? I thought this was literal common knowledge already set forth in the Freedom Act or whatever the hell it was George W. had his hands in post 9/11.

Enlighten me.
edit on 9-7-2013 by ValentineWiggin because: Typo

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I blow off people sometimes when they say stuff like it is new when the same stuff has been going on for years. I usually say something like....Where you been...or....What took you so long to figure that out. I guess I have forgot what it was like to wake up to reality because it's been years now. I forget that people don't realize things so don't bring it up when I am out and about, I keep thinking all older people should already know how it is. I can see a young person not knowing, fresh out of conditioning, but someone over fifty should have figured everything out even if they do not do anything about it.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I hear ya, friend. That's why so many speculate that the Snowdon spectacle is some sort of (A) warning to REAL whistle blowers and/or (B) a ruse intended to quell the chatter among the people waking up the sheeple.

Many, like you, believe it just doesn't add up, as reported.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here
I hear ya, friend. That's why so many speculate that the Snowdon spectacle is some sort of (A) warning to REAL whistle blowers and/or

(B) a ruse intended to quell the chatter among the people waking up the sheeple.

Many, like you, believe it just doesn't add up, as reported.

Well at least I'm not the only one, this has been driving me nuts. I just gave my husband a big "DUH" look then got back on ATS for the first time in a long time to make sure I hadn't missed something.

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
So, someone finally wakes up and you respond by carrying on like its old news.

You should have fired him up even more, then he might have told others who dont yet know whats going on.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I am with you on this but I am not sure how to frame it, Mr Snowden is a hero for what he did, but what he informed us is under the question so far.

Most of what he said was under speculations for a long time, yet we all knew about it so nothing NEW exactly.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

What I find even more disturbing is the people who think the government has every right to punish someone like Snowdon, citing his ethical duty to secrecy... and totally ignoring the government's LEGAL and ethical duty to uphold the Constitution. (In this case, of course, we are talking 'illegal search and seizure.')

What's more, Obama specifically condoned 'whistle-blowing' during his last campaign, and the following is still to be found on change.gov

Protect Whistleblowers: Often the best source of information about waste, fraud, and abuse in government is an existing government employee committed to public integrity and willing to speak out. Such acts of courage and patriotism, which can sometimes save lives and often save taxpayer dollars, should be encouraged rather than stifled. We need to empower federal employees as watchdogs of wrongdoing and partners in performance. Barack Obama will strengthen whistleblower laws to protect federal workers who expose waste, fraud, and abuse of authority in government. Obama will ensure that federal agencies expedite the process for reviewing whistleblower claims and whistleblowers have full access to courts and due process.

Here's an interesting article from March 2013 on this very topic: Remember When Obama Vowed to Protect Whistleblowers?

It's just uncanny to me how often campaign promises are the exact opposite of how things play out. To the point where I've begun to view campaign promises as a heads-up to expect otherwise. Sad to feel such a lack of belief in those in power. Sad, sad times.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

You should have fired him up even more, then he might have told others who dont yet know whats going on.

I think she was trying to wake him up even more, by asking 'what did he blow the whistle on?' --which is a valid question, really. This Snowden stuff is 'all the news' yet... we got nuthin! (Can you hear the sound the whistle made? Any Earth-shattering revelations come your way from Snowden?) I think she was trying to make that point... that it could all be smoke and mirrors.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Carrying on like it's old news was enough

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This has been going on for a long time, in a lot of countries (probably decades) and it is very humiliating when someone you care about tries to tell you this stuff when you are like "I've been tellin' you this for years!"

But as frustrating as this can be, I like to try and look at it from the other side of the coin and say, yes! Finally either by me or some other influence they have woken up even if only a little bit.

Keep on telling your husband what you know and what you have learned and you will have taught someone how long we've all been pawns for..

Peace and harmony. JA.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I think she was trying to wake him up even more, by asking 'what did he blow the whistle on?' --which is a valid question, really. This Snowden stuff is 'all the news' yet... we got nuthin! (Can you hear the sound the whistle made? Any Earth-shattering revelations come your way from Snowden?) I think she was trying to make that point... that it could all be smoke and mirrors.

Exactly!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by JeffersonAirplane
This has been going on for a long time, in a lot of countries (probably decades) and it is very humiliating when someone you care about tries to tell you this stuff when you are like "I've been tellin' you this for years!"

But as frustrating as this can be, I like to try and look at it from the other side of the coin and say, yes! Finally either by me or some other influence they have woken up even if only a little bit.

Keep on telling your husband what you know and what you have learned and you will have taught someone how long we've all been pawns for..

Peace and harmony. JA.

Well yaknow, you can't really be my husband without knowing conspiracy theories
I really thought this was explained in the Freedom Act (or whatever it's called, I read the thing and rolled my eyes, no surprises here). I honestly cannot believe people think this is something new.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   

My turn to look at him funny.

LOL It is funny in a sick way. Since 9/11 people have been searched, x-rayed, anally probed, and little kids have been molested at airports by TSA workers. If this didn't send the whole country into a violent rage, why would the NSA listening to you talk to grandma on the cell phone do it?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

It's been going on way before 9/11. That should be common knowledge. Of course it isn't because people don't want to believe it or they actively support it.

A couple of books that you can get from your local library. Both by the same author.

The Puzzle Palace and Body of Secrets by James Bamford. You can start him out on those. They are both about the history and shenanigans of the intelligence community.

edit on 9-7-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

It's just uncanny to me how often campaign promises are the exact opposite of how things play out.

This! Well said and thank you for putting it in laymans terms for people like myself. Here in britain I have noticed an extreme amount of this kind of behaviour from politicians, so much so that in the last election it caused me to change my vote!

Only to see the policies which I'd changed my vote for become null and void thanks to our lovely 'con-dem' party, of which I voted for neither..

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

It's just uncanny to me how often campaign promises are the exact opposite of how things play out.

This! Well said and thank you for putting it in laymans terms for people like myself. Here in britain I have noticed an extreme amount of this kind of behaviour from politicians, so much so that in the last election it caused me to change my vote!

Only to see the policies which I'd changed my vote for become null and void thanks to our lovely 'con-dem' party, of which I voted for neither..

I chose not to vote (OH NO SHE DIDNT) for this very same thing. I have been adamant about voting since the state fair here set up a "mock" voting booth for kids. You know what I did? I asked my Dad who to vote for
and that was many years ago. This is the first time since I was eligible that I have refused to vote for exactly these reasons cited.
edit on 9-7-2013 by ValentineWiggin because: Typo

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin

Peace and harmony. JA.

I really thought this was explained in the Freedom Act (or whatever it's called,.

It probably is explained somewhere, but as you say, an awful lot of people think this is a new thing when it has in fact been documented for at least over a decade.

ETA: So (in assumption) most people won't have bothered to look up on it until the recent past few weeks, and even then outside of forums like this very few people actually know who Snowden is, or what he's telling the world.

It's a great thing when one person is doing so much, but it's the reality that the media will just not give the guy any coverage.

edit on 9-7-2013 by JeffersonAirplane because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin

Peace and harmony. JA.

I really thought this was explained in the Freedom Act (or whatever it's called,.

It probably is explained somewhere, but as you say, an awful lot of people think this is a new thing when it has in fact been documented for at least over a decade.

ETA: So (in assumption) most people won't have bothered to look up on it until the recent past few weeks, and even then outside of forums like this very few people actually know who Snowden is, or what he's telling the world.

It's a great thing when one person is doing so much, but it's the reality that the media will just not give the guy any coverage.

edit on 9-7-2013 by JeffersonAirplane because: (no reason given)

I mean, BRAVO for "waking people up" , however I do not believe that is the intention at all, but that is another thread entirely. It's just mind boggling that people didn't read what was right in front of them almost 12 years ago

ETA: And by most people, I'm talking about people on this forum too

edit on 9-7-2013 by ValentineWiggin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Precisely, it was there for all to see. For years I've been saying we all need a kick up the arse.. Well we've been given that kick up the arse and what are we doing... Nothing! The media is trying to incriminate the guy, at least here anyway

It borders on the absurd.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Precisely, it was there for all to see. For years I've been saying we all need a kick up the arse.. Well we've been given that kick up the arse and what are we doing... Nothing! The media is trying to incriminate the guy, at least here anyway

It borders on the absurd.

We were given that "kick up the arse" a long time ago. Apparently everyone had their eyes glued to the TV and not the legislation that was passed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join