It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois enacts nation's final concealed-gun law

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
It's about time. Though cities will still enact their own laws with which to hinder law abiding citizens from helping themselves in the time of need.

bigstory.ap.org...

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) — Illinois became the last state in the nation to allow public possession of concealed guns as lawmakers rushed Tuesday to finalize a proposal ahead of a federal court's deadline.

To be sure, the debate will continue, but I applaud this decision.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

As an Illini I applaud this decision but I will withhold my full cheering until I see just how many monkey wrenches Quinn/Madigan throw at the State Police when they write the implementation rules.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

BAM! This is epic! As a southsider of Chicago! I applaud this bill!~ I assure you as well the debate will continue! But the guns will be put in the "Good Guy's" hands for sure!

It's nice to see this pass! I knew it would but I know Quinn was pussyfooting around with it... Bravo Illinois!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

. Preempts home rule on the regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of concealed handguns and ammunition for concealed handguns as covered by the FOID Act. Preempts home rule on the prohibition of possession or ownership of assault weapons unless the ordinance is enacted before, on, or within 10 days of the effective date of this Act and any amendments thereafter.

I'm hoping the locals just let the legislation go as is, instead of trying to "fine tune" everything. If each town or county starts that, it'll be a mess

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

They finally passed this. Good job I say.

Im also quite glad that the Governers veto got smacked down by both chambers of the legislature.

news.yahoo.com...

Democratic Governor Pat Quinn had objected to major parts of the concealed carry proposal. But both chambers of the state legislature voted on Tuesday to override his veto, allowing concealed carry to become the law.

Also, it appears the CHL law will not be one of those stupid "may issue" states, such as Cali. Instead, it is a "Shall issue", so as long as the applicant meets all the CHL requirements, the state police have to give them the permit.

The new law says that Illinois state police "shall issue" a permit to carry concealed guns to any applicant who passes a background check, takes 16 hours of required firearms training and meets other conditions.

Another

edit on 9-7-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

ETA - Some more info on the new law. (I say they need to get rid of the FOI card now to)

www.foxnews.com...

The law as approved by the Legislature permits anyone with a Firearm Owner's Identification card who has passed a background check and undergone gun-safety training of 16 hours -- longest of any state -- to obtain a concealed-carry permit for $150.

Unfortunately, $150 is a pretty high price for a CHL. (I live in Texas and our CHL price is ridiculous). For example, in Arizona it's only $60 for a new permit, and $43 for a renew. Another example, Utah. $65 for a new permit, then $10 to renew every 5 years.

The Illinois State Police would have six months to set up a system to start accepting applications. Spokeswoman Monique Bond said police expect 300,000 applications in the first year.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I just wish that open carry were approved for all states.

I think that would be in keeping with the 2nd Admendment.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Reply to post by TDawgRex

In keeping with the 2nd thered be no approval needed.

Enacting laws and regulations out of fear is exactly the sort of thing this nation was established to get away from.

Permission to and approval of are patently un-American in every sense.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Hmm... seems odd that a quasi-tyranical plot to enslave americans via politicking would allow even more guns in the hands of the 'enemy'. Unless of course there is some one on the inside with our (free persons) interests in mind.

IMO that people should be issued, trained and required to carry a firearm when they turn 18, you know, for safety. From tyrants.
#2 is #1 for freedom
edit on 9-7-2013 by Redboxin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   

in indiana its around $100 to $120 for a life time give or take a few and is taking around 3 to 4 months to get.just waiting on state to process.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Do you suppose these concealed gun laws allowing for permitted carriers might just be a way to know who has the guns?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Unfortunately, $150 is a pretty high price for a CHL. (I live in Texas and our CHL price is ridiculous). For example, in Arizona it's only $60 for a new permit, and $43 for a renew. Another example, Utah. $65 for a new permit, then $10 to renew every 5 years.

In WV it is $90 for 5 years and same for renew.

Great news for Illinois.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008

Do you suppose these concealed gun laws allowing for permitted carriers might just be a way to know who has the guns?

That's a gimme. Where can you buy a gun legally where you do not have to fill out a Form 4473? I know criminals don't fill out that form when they buy a weapon from someone.

So...they already know.

It's a personnal choice. If you are pulled over for speeding or whatever, would you rather that the cops find you in possesion of a firearm illegally or legally?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Most of the people I know filled out absolutely no paper work when they bought their gun, and they are far from criminals, unless of course not abiding by the 2nd amendment chip away laws and incentives makes them a criminal.

You do know that DHS has deals with several states to cooperate in giving the feds the identities of cancel carry holders. I think the state of Missouri is still investigating their little under the table business with DHS.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I though all the rednecks lived in the South.
Oh well live and learn.

For mine a well armed population can not be easily brought in to submission.Those founding fathers of yours got it right

Almost like battle lines are being drawn for another civil war, hope you guys and gals avoid that.

I would carry a gun if I was allowed but down under we have little access to firearms

Some things are worth fighting for:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I can tell you if gun crime goes down due to this there the whole idea of gun control will disappear extremely fast. It is going to be interesting what the numbers show in three years.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I'm interested in a permit, however, I am not interested in being fingerprinted. What am I some kind of criminal?? I already have a valid FOID and passed a background check.

For all I know, they will run it in their technoscanner, and some stupid thing I may or may not have done when I was in grade school will get me locked up. I had a fairly adventurous and troubled youth like a lot of kids. Who the hell knows what I did that was illegal. I may or may not have my prints already in an unsolved crime database.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Frettin

For all I know, they will run it in their technoscanner, and some stupid thing I may or may not have done when I was in grade school will get me locked up. I had a fairly adventurous and troubled youth like a lot of kids. Who the hell knows what I did that was illegal. I may or may not have my prints already in an unsolved crime database.

I agree with CCW permits. People do have the right to protect themselves. Chicago is a very dangerous city and I do hope that the "mutually assured destruction" aspect of CCW laws helps lessen crime.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Reply to post by Frettin

Dont worry about it.
For one thing reality isnt CSI. Cops dont go around dusting everything and every scene for prints. And the staute of limitations has you covered for a decade or even less as long as you arent a murderer or rapist.

If my youthful indiscretions havent popped up (I get at least 4 full fed checks a year with prints) then yours wont.

Then again maybe they have popped up. Just nothing worth retuening a failed check.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Buying a firearm without filling out paperwork can be done legally (at least in Texas), because sales of personal firearms do not require paperwork. Many sellers only want to see (lay eyeballs) on your ID so they can be sure you're not from out-of-state/out-of-country.

Nowhere is there any paperwork showing that I own a firearm, and I've broken no laws.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by stutteringp0et

Buying a firearm without filling out paperwork can be done legally (at least in Texas), because sales of personal firearms do not require paperwork. Many sellers only want to see (lay eyeballs) on your ID so they can be sure you're not from out-of-state/out-of-country.

Nowhere is there any paperwork showing that I own a firearm, and I've broken no laws.

I understand that, from what I understand, it is against the law to do a background check on a buyer unless you are a federally licensed dealer.

But I still always have a record of purchase, signed by both parties and a witness and have it notarized as well. Just trying to cover myself just in case it is used in a criminal activity.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join