It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dems pitch national park on the moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Two House Democrats have proposed legislation that would establish a national historical park on the surface of the moon to mark where the Apollo missions landed between 1969 and 1972

The bill says these sites need to be protected because of the anticipated increase in commercial moon landings in the future

Source

What?

We have no space program anymore, all we do is hitch rides with other countries.

Commercial?

Who?

There is not a viable commerical enterprise even close to going to the moon at the moment, and doesn't like any will be for 20 or more years.

So Democrats claiming land ownership of the Apollo missions?

Hell this is ATS where the say the moon landings were faked.

So how many billions of dollars are going to be blown on this stupidity?

Ok fine let's say Apollo wasn't faked for the sake of argument think people will be allowed to go there?

Maybe 100 years from now because social engineering is more important than rocket engineering.

National Park on the Moon!

I report you decide.
edit on 9-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Wow... Really? Sequester has SWIMMING POOLS being understaffed and closed early for Military families as well as elsewhere and they're going to waste time, money and effort to declare a National Park in a place no human is known to have even BEEN since the early 70's (and some say never)?!

How about these bozos work on REAL national problems and leave the questions of National Parks in space to a generation that actually has that issue to worry about. We're at least that far from it at the rate things have crapped out on Space funding and innovation over the last several years. Wow.....

(stuff this story in 'had to read it to believe it' file) It's like saying Guam could capsize. Brain freeeeeeze.

edit on 9-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yep

They are government, and they sure are 'doing things right'.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It also says...

Aside from boosting NASA's budget, the bill also sets as a goal a human mission to Mars and maintains a commitment to funding International Space Station operations through 2020.

Plus I don't think it means going back to the moon and making it into a park, It is just saying lets keep the area like it is free from mining operations that may happen in the future.
Maybe it will stop the chinese going to the site and stealing all the stuff left there..

I don't think it will happen though due to the moon doesn't belong to any nation so the USA can not claim it for anything.
edit on 9-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This is a true example of lunacy.

We really need to concentrate on crap like this.
Let us not forget that these guys brought us Obamacare.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I'd be very interested in the crime rate up in space, with no police to protect us, Lord knows there's bound to be someone up there craving some moon dope, and willing to rob for it too. You can't trust these moon people, they tried convincing the world their 'planet' was made of cheese and used Wallace and Gromit as a mind control programme, the penguin was a metaphor for the black and white sides, his apparent lack of empathy was used as a connotation for the moon being in space. See it all coming together?

As time goes by we'll realise that the moon is no place for a park. A kid jumps up and never comes back down - it's reported on Earth though that they're really on strings and the 'moon' is really a park in east Timor somewhere, you know that place that guy used to film the 'super real' moon landings.

On a serious note (not like they're not legit' reasons) this is a monumental waste of money. It's like asking for a suitcase full of money, just to see what it look like being thrown over the side of a bridge.

What's the maintenance cost of this lunar park going to be? I'm guessing it's well over £300 a week. UNACCEPTABLE. We should put these people on Gyros as a budget, wouldn't even get you to Candem then..... Idiots.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
It also says...

Aside from boosting NASA's budget, the bill also sets as a goal a human mission to Mars and maintains a commitment to funding International Space Station operations through 2020.

Plus I don't think it means going back to the moon and making it into a park, It is just saying lets keep the area like it is free from mining operations that may happen in the future.
Maybe it will stop the chinese going to the site and stealing all the stuff left there..

I don't think it will happen though due to the moon doesn't belong to any nation so the USA can not claim it for anything.

Moon Treaty

Seeing how the US does not recognize that stance (that the moon belongs to all) and did not sign or ratify the treaty when it came up.

If anything this shows the US attitude that the moon does in fact belong to the US or that parts of it fall under its jurisdiction.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
It also says...

No, thats a different bill. The news article talks of both:
HR2616 - funding for space stuff, and
HR2617 - the National Park

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Wow didn't know that I guess we all have Moon war 1 to look forward to

Seeing that they have to ask the UN to make it a world heritage site (world ?should it be moon?) I do not think all the other nations will agree to this anyhow.
The moon belongs to us all man and beast.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Finally trying to tap that Helium 3?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Those dumb democrat bastards! Who the hell cares about the MOON landing site anyway? We should just let anyone land there and trample all over it, maybe kick old glory into the dust and take a crap in armstrong's foot prints for good measure..

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Considering space tavel is quickly becoming a commerical venture by private companies this does not suprise me. Sooner or later when mining on the moon has begun somebody is going to go take that stuff and sell it. Seems easy enough and costs nothing to do. Suprised it has not been done already.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What in the flying blue hell are these people thinking? How in the face of all that is currently wrong in our country, did this actually sound like a good idea to ANYONE! Remember this in 2014 those of you that live in their districts.

Am i the only one here who thinks these legislators should be taking more days off? It seems the less "work" they do the better off we all are. Better yet let's put them to work on bills removing outdated and irrelevant laws.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
AND people jumped all over Newt Gingrich for his idea for a moon base??? But making the lunar landing site a national park is more feasible? Worry about earthbound matters first. Ahh politics...

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Wow. I wonder what a yearly park pass would cost? And how long it would take to get a camping permit?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Commercial?

Who?

www.googlelunarxprize.org...

That's who

Commercial interest in the moon is someday going to be big business. These democrats are just thinking ahead and trying to preserve a piece of history so that it can be enjoyed by generations to come. Instead of having some dip space tourist plant his fat boot right in Neil Armstrong's boot print destroying it forever.

I think they are thinking CONSERVATIVELY if you ask me.

You know who started the National Park service? Theodore Roosevelt. A Republican, and one major bad ass American.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
They' just want to declare it a national park for future reasons. They're not actually going to the Moon and building a park there.

edit on 10-7-2013 by Junkheap because: That creepy robot told me to.

top topics

join