It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The fear train rolls on; NYPD, Brookhaven Releasing Harmless Gases in Subway for Chemical Weapon Stu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Remember the threads here that talked about this when it was just a future plan? I recall many members suggesting it was something nefarious and conspiratorial. The general idea seemed to be that they'd do this sneaky and underhanded ...the way previous tests HAVE been, going back to the 60's in releasing inert or relatively harmless things into the air of subways and buildings to track spread.

It used to be..scaring the public was to be AVOIDED at almost all costs. Now, scaring the public seems to BE THE POINT. My how times have changed.

Anyway, it's not planning anymore. It's happening and no need to fear that sneaky bit. Never let an opportunity to scare people go to waste, after all.

The NYPD is releasing harmless gases into the subway system during the morning rush beginning Tuesday to study how chemical weapons could be dispersed through the air.

Police, working with Long Island's Brookhaven National Laboratory, were spotted placing air-sampling devices in specific areas on the street and within the subway system across the five boroughs. Several researchers spent Tuesday morning outfitting the Columbus Circle subway station with the devices.

To repeat, this *HAS* happened before. Only a few times I've read about in Cold War testing of Bio/Chemical agent spread, but this isn't new. Only the need to make sure every last member of the public knows about it to fear the "real thing" seems to be new.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says results from the airflow study will help the NYPD learn how airborne toxins travel underground within the subway systems and above ground near the entrances and exits. The aim of the study is to better safeguard the city against a potential chemical attack, Kelly said.
Source

Considering this is a study repeating previous work and quite likely to repeat previous findings as well, I'd argue that isn't the main point of the study. It's to keep people on edge, nervous and in a frame of mind to "pass emergency measures" whenever the need for new ones comes up in the future.

We don't live in a nation looking to prosper right now. We live in a nation looking to cower and hide from shadows. The boogeymen run things like the NYPD and Department of Homeland Security. There is Freddy Kruger for ya. Instead of knives, he traded it all in for pens and a cell phone to issue orders to others.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Why doesn't NYPD do something useful like release a harmful gas and kill all the RATS in the subways there.

New York biggest population isn't people it's rats.
edit on 9-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Let's hope this test doesn't turn out like some of the other "exercises" that preceded horrific events.

fracturedparadigm.com...
edit on 9-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yes, in 1966, the Army released Bacillus globigii into the subways in NYC with Chicago's subway system having a similar study:

Bacillus globigii

NIH article citing the tests: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

It's interesting that they are, once again, doing something like this when it is basically performing medical experimentation without consent. If the actual day of the tests had been released, given that it has had some coverage in the NYC press, then I suppose consent would be implied but, I haven't seen any proposed dates. While I can understand the concerns in regards to knowing how far a gas attack within the subway system may range, I find it highly problematic as there would likely be a whole lot of variables at work to make such a determination such as volume, temperature, humidity, and more. Basically, anything that affects airflow is going to be a factor in the spread of an aersolized pathogen.

I think the DHS did a similar experiment in 2004 or 2005 but not 100%. Still don't like it because, despite assurances that it is a harmless gas, I still wonder what they reported to civilians 50 some odd years ago.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This is retarded. How many exercises does it takes for nypd to comprehend how a (gas) terror attack works? Does it cost and waste taxpayers money, sure it does.

Scenario: Train carrying poisonous gases is release, people in the subwayget sick, some dies, causalities reported, msm is on a field-trip for the day. What's there to study??

This kinda stuff here makes people live in fear. What if, when and where is it going to happen? These kinda of things can worry some people to deal. Nypd is just creating fear and the "would be" attackers are taking note.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I hadn't even thought about that, but heck....That would do the same thing for telling them how it spread while doing something really useful. Fumigate the place in the middle of the night and shut it all down while doing it.

Of course, I'd pity the people who had to collect the dead critters before the smell became like a horror film ...but the people above would probably be real grateful for a long time.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Headline: Hundreds of Police die From Chemical Inhalation In Subway Study...
Officials from the NYPD have released the following statement: "Yeah we uhhh. We grabbed the wrong tanks"

3.4 million dollars to do this experiment doesn't seem excessive at all.....

There is also this factor of the Perfluorocarbons

Excessive exposure to perfluorocarbons may cause effects on the brain and heart. The main environmental concern with PFCs is the role these compounds play as greenhouse gases, influencing climate change. Consequently PFCs are controlled under the Kyoto Protocol. The concept of Global Warming Potential provides a common scale to compare the relative ability of different gases to trap heat in the atmosphere. PFCs have extremely high global warming potentials (5,000 to 10,000 times that of carbon dioxide). However, because they are only released in relatively small amounts, their contribution to global warming is minor. Due to their stability they have very long atmospheric lifetimes (thousands of years).

So the headline's claim of "harmless" is debatable to say the least.
edit on 9-7-2013 by Privateinquotations because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2013 by Privateinquotations because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Wow check out the comments to the article starting with this one and expand the 53(that was the count when i started reading) that follow seems like the awake and aware may be out in force today!

Jerry Carmine Cote · Top Commenter · New Jersey Institute of Technology This is the public preparation. They''ll do a few more of these, to condition New Yorkers (and by media extension, all other city subway riders) for the "normalcy" of such drills. When they commit the actual false flag attack, there will just happen to be a "drill" planned for that day that just happens to simulate the exact kind of attack that actually happens. The "drill" allows the federal perps to obscure their agents within a broad phalanx of government personnel. It provides the false appearance of DHS diligence, while making it very hard to pick out the actual perps. Just like 9-11. Just like the London Bombings. Just like the Boston Marathon. These Reichstag burnings just go on and on.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

Agreed. Unless they substantially improved air filtration and security measures to limit the spread of an aersolized bioweapon, it simply doesn't make a whole lot of sense to run more tests on a subway system that has been the site of that precise kind of testing multiple times already, especially the 2005 tests. I thought we were supposed to be cutting back on our spending post-sequester but apparently DHS still has quite the budget if they are going to be doing the biggest one yet:

In addition to the study in Manhattan in 2005, previous airflow studies were conducted in subway systems in Boston, and Washington, D.C. – but none as extensive as the one planned for New York City in July.

BNL. gov source

Outside of the unease that it would possibly promote in passengers and residents, which I also think is irritating, the cost of the project just ticks me off. Way to go, guys. Only way for them to top it off is if they had a parade associated with it filled with guys in hazmat suits just to bring up the price tag a little bit more.

top topics

join