It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dropbox announces the Dropbox Platform, syncing between third-party apps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

CEO Drew Houston announced a new Dropbox Platform for developers, which is essentially a suite of tools to make it easier for apps to access data across devices and operating systems. Built on top of the Sync API, Houston says the new Dropbox Platform is designed to "replace the hard drive" and that "sync is the new save." The platform is comprised of "Drop-ins," which provide cross-platform UI components, "Chooser," which gives apps instant access to files in Dropbox, and "Saver," which provides one-click saving to the cloud. Dropbox also announced the Datastore API, which lets you sync data like contacts, to-do items and game state -- so you can save your Angry Birds level across your different gadgets for example. Some of the third-party companies that have signed onto the new Dropbox Platform include Shutterstock, PicMonkey, Asana, Yahoo! Mail, Animoto, 1Password, CloudOn, FedEx and Fargo.

I've seen a few posters who find it difficult to marry functions between their devices, so I thought I'd share this. I am not a programmer, but I'm just putting it out there in the hope some of you may find this useful info. Wish I could enjoy the small devices, but eyesight makes me look towards magnifiers.

Link

As part of the announcement, Dropbox also touted a new feature for Mailbox -- that much-hyped app that Dropbox bought in March. It will now finally be able to send attachments directly from the app, which is something that the native iOS client can't do. All you'll have to do is tap the paper clip icon to open a list of Dropbox files, select your file and away you go.

edit on 9-7-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

This sounds cool. Thanks!

Des

edit on 9-7-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Sounds nice for those who don't mind the NSA/GCHQ etc having a good look at your data but if all you store is angry birds level data, and a few lolcat photo's its going to cost them more to view the data than its worth

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
i wonder if this does not just add to the online profile you get from observance.
if games and saved game details are sent unencrypted, to allow syncing,

could you not profile some one from their gaming ability?

drop box is unencrypted, i would liken that to the privacy you get from a post card, when sent through the mail.

is their a privacy issue here no one is noting?

xploder

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

With the recent revelations about NSA spying, only those living in a cave wouldn't have that thought cross their mind in relation to this kind of technology.

new topics

top topics

join