It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican-controlled Florida Legislature Outlaws all Computers, Electronic Tablets and Smart Phones

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I just LOVE the leftie media - forget the fact that:
(1) the law DOESN'T outlaw any smart phones/tablets/computers, and that it is simply being CHALLENGED on that basis in court because this legislation (which closed 1000 illegal gambling operations that preyed upon Senior Citizens and other persons of low income - "hey, let's grab every last nickel and dime that Grandma has by giving her the hope that she can win a $ 50 Publix gift card!") caused a few migrant workers to have to go to a Library to use the internet.
(2) The Bill was written by both DEMOCRATS (Michael Clelland/Ricardo Rangel) and Republicans
(3) The Bill was enacted into law with only 6 of the 44 Dems in the House voting against it

How very fitting that the link provided was from HuffPo, who championed National Healthcare Legislation ENTIRELY written by Dems and Special Interests - which was enacted without even the Speaker of the House being able to tell you what was in it!

With the Obama SuperPac machine ramping up for elections in 2014 and 2016 - could this just be more drumbeating against ANYTHING Republican controlled in the runup? Hmmmm......

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Text Black Stupid laws are passed all the time without comprehensive wording. Afterward they are usually corrected. However, this takes it a step farther with the banning of the net cafes. They would have a riot in some areas of the country over this ha

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

You do realize democrats have been trying to censor the internet for over a decade right??? Surely you can't be so partisan that you are this blind?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Also, to further expose your partisan effort, only cafes with pay to play machines were shut down. There are still many, many LAN centers where people play games and get online, so be a bit more honest next time and you won't be exposed for the partisan hack you are.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by raifordko

You raise a good, relevant point, and I'm grateful for it.

And while the opinion of an internet stranger should carry little, if any, weight with you, I have to say you've made me uncomfortable.

I don't always agree with MrInquisitive, but there is no purpose in calling him "blind," a "partisan hack," or less than honest. That hurts the thread and ATS, and while it may not matter to you, it lowers your reputation.

An apology is in order, but do what you have to do.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by raifordko

You raise a good, relevant point, and I'm grateful for it.

And while the opinion of an internet stranger should carry little, if any, weight with you, I have to say you've made me uncomfortable.

I don't always agree with MrInquisitive, but there is no purpose in calling him "blind," a "partisan hack," or less than honest. That hurts the thread and ATS, and while it may not matter to you, it lowers your reputation.

An apology is in order, but do what you have to do.

I'm gonna go ahead and pass. The OP is so obviously a partisan hack it's not even funny. He should apologize to me and everyone else who had to read the deliberate twisting of facts.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Republican-controlled Florida Legislature

Oh yeah forgot to say Florida is a swing state it has a constant 'state' of identity crisis.

One day its red next day it's blue back and forth.

Always been like that.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Republican-controlled Florida Legislature

Oh yeah forgot to say Florida is a swing state it has a constant 'state' of identity crisis.

One day its red next day it's blue back and forth.

Always been like that.

Do you understand how legislative bodies work and are controlled? If one political party has the majority of the seats, then it CONTROLS that legislative bodied. I didn't say "legislature in Republican-controlled Florida", did I? There are a number of swing states that currently have state legislature controlled by Republicans, and these states are passing all kinds of very aggressive anti-union, anti-choice laws, and laws disenfranchising voters (such as the law now in Michigan which allows the governor to take over school districts and city governments that are having fiscal problems.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by raifordko

You do realize democrats have been trying to censor the internet for over a decade right??? Surely you can't be so partisan that you are this blind?

No, I didn't realize that. Please point me to a thread here or an article at some fairly legitimate news source (i.e. something other than Glen Beck, etc.) somewhere that discusses this. I'm all ears/eyes, if you have such information for me. But all you have provide so far is a claim of this, and then a suggestion that I am blind for partisan reasons. Not a very compelling so far.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Republicans and Democrats are the blame for the US OF A going to $h!t in a hand baskets! You haven't figured that out yet? The blame game is ridiculous.

Geeshhh!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Who's going to get busted tossing the coin for the Dolphins games?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Here are some more links to stories on this matter, which aren't paraphrasing the Huff Po article:

The Daily Beast

Tampa Bay Times

WCPO

As for those in this thread claiming that I am twisting facts and owe some sort of apology:

The title of this thread is correct; the two Florida state legislature houses both have Republican majorities; hence, they are Republican controlled. Notice that I didn't use the term "Republican-dominated", which would suggest that the legislature is overwhelmingly Republican. The fact of the matter is: the Republicans control both houses of the Florida state legislature and the majority party is much more often than not the one responsible for the passing of legislation. In addition, the governor, who signs the bill into law, is a Republican. Did I claim this law was enacted on a party-line vote? NO.

Given the number of specious and spurious threads on ATS on all matters, including many by conservatives on political topics, my thread passes the smell test purdee darn well.

But it seems Republicans and their conservative fellow travelers get very bent out of shape when anyone points out stupid or hypocritical policies by GOP politicians. Me thinks that the conservatives protesteth too much.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

This post proves you are a partisan hack.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Anyone who wants to "gamble" at an internet cafes on offshore unregulated websites, should get what they deserve for being so stupid.......

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
The language is very broad but to pin it to just Republicans is highly partisan; see New York's own Cuomo and his anti-gun legislation that effectively made every police officer out of compliance (until the oversight was adjusted of course).

Quick!

Pivot to New York!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

You are right buddy.

The Republicans protest way too much...

When it is there policies, they find a way to donate their good work and pin it upon others.
edit on 10-7-2013 by Cheesefleas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cheesefleas

The language is very broad but to pin it to just Republicans is highly partisan; see New York's own Cuomo and his anti-gun legislation that effectively made every police officer out of compliance (until the oversight was adjusted of course).

Quick!

Pivot to New York!

I am not pivoting to New York. I am pointing out that idiotic "law" is legislated regardless of the makeup of the body: Illinois -- Vomiting prohibited in taxi-cabs (Democrat controlled government); California -- Allowing non-citizens to be poll workers (Democrat controlled government); Utah -- Ban "happy-hour" (Republican controlled government), etc, etc.

The list can go on so it wasn't an attempt to construct a red-herring or even a straw-man. It was to point out that in the OP, they made it clear that they believe that only stupid laws (or dangerous laws) flow from within the halls of a Republican held government. I can easily point out otherwise.

ETA:
40,000 "laws" were legislated in the Union and effected in 2012; both parties are involved in insanity.
edit on 10-7-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrInquisitive
This is what one gets when one votes Republicans overwhelmingly into office: terrible, astoundingly stupid laws.

Your title I have no contention with. It is your narrative you started out with that led me to see you wanted to find an instance where you can nail your opposing view party to the ATS proverbial wall. The above is that.

There are many times we can show that "terrible, astoundingly stupid laws" are written to the books by democrat legislatures also. That is where I took exception; not your title.

Post Script:
For fun, here is how the new law defines "machines or devices":

849.16 Machines or devices which come within provisions of law defined.

(1)
As used in this chapter, the term "slot machine or device" means any machine or device or system or network of devices is a slot machine or device within the provisions of this chapter if it is one that is adapted for use in such a way that, upon activation, which may be achieved by, but is not limited to, as a result of the insertion of any piece of money, coin, account number, code, or other object or information, such machine or device or system is directly or indirectly caused to operate or may be operated and if the user, whether by application of skill or by reason of any element of chance or of any other outcome of such operation unpredictable by the user him or her, may:

Unabridged, the talking heads from the sources seems to be selectively making this into something more than what it is. Can it be stretched to say your computer or your tablet? By a completely insane court maybe; but probably not.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrInquisitive
This is what one gets when one votes Republicans overwhelmingly into office: terrible, astoundingly stupid laws.

See, this is the problem with individuals today. You blame and entire group of people and can't see past your own nose. To start a topic by insulting half of your audience does not help your point, at all. It would have been much better off to just say what happened, put the vote count up and start a debate, would it not? I'm neither a Democrat nor a Republican and I still hate the way you started this topic. Instantaneously you pissed off half the audience and I bet that was your point. You could care less about hearing from both sides.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cheesefleas

Quick!

Pivot to New York!

I am not pivoting to New York. I am pointing out that idiotic "law" is legislated regardless of the makeup of the body: Illinois -- Vomiting prohibited in taxi-cabs (Democrat controlled government); California -- Allowing non-citizens to be poll workers (Democrat controlled government); Utah -- Ban "happy-hour" (Republican controlled government), etc, etc.

The list can go on so it wasn't an attempt to construct a red-herring or even a straw-man. It was to point out that in the OP, they made it clear that they believe that only stupid laws (or dangerous laws) flow from within the halls of a Republican held government. I can easily point out otherwise.

ETA:
40,000 "laws" were legislated in the Union and effected in 2012; both parties are involved in insanity.

You read my mind!

Wow!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join