It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you ever feel just disconnected from everything?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
What I mean is do you ever feel like everything you know of as normal is unfamiliar to you? It happens to me every once in a while. Like I will just be doing something totally normal and then I will see something that will trigger these feelings. For example, sometimes I will see my name on a list or maybe I will write my name down somewhere and then I will just start staring at it because my own name feels unfamiliar. Its like I know it is my name, but also it just looks and feels foreign to me. Same with my reflection in the mirror or if I am looking at a picture of myself. Its like I almost feel like im looking at a stranger or something.

Also sometimes I have like these out of body feelings. Like Im not out of my body, but its like I feel almost like I am floating and I just feel disconnected like this body isn't me, my soul is me and im just using the body as shelter. It in these episodes I have almost the same feeling towards my body as I do towards my house if that makes any sense.

I feel like Im crazy, but I know that I am not crazy. Does anyone else ever feel like they aren't right in their body or personality?

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I am a "sensitive". Have you ever thought that you may be a sensitive? Sensitives sometimes in the beginning... are often puzzled by their "detachment" from things. Perhaps this is the case? Try keeping a journal when this is happening.

With this response to you...Im hoping you see the POTENTIAL that you are not DE-taching or disconnecting from life...but observing things from the outside. Good luck.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

I have never heard of that before. Could you please explain that to me? If that is the case maybe I can learn to not be so startled and perplexed by these episodes.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I feel that way more often lately now than I used to. I found what sparked it originally though was a night that I drank way way way too heavily and started feeling disconnected from my body and started questioning just what reality is or everything really. That's when these thoughts started hitting my day to day. I think that some people can stumble upon these things through life experiences or some are just meant to feel that way.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

Yeah like I just keep questioning everything and it gets overwhelming because whatever questions I am thinking there is no encyclopedia I cant turn to and I can scrape away at my brain and still find no answer. Its weird except one thing is like with my name, its like my own name is a question that I frustratingly cannot find the answer to. and I know that makes no sense, but that is how I feel.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by eyesontheskies

I have experienced what you are talking about. I experience it at the oddest times. I might be at work, doing my own thing, and look around and feel like everything is a dream and everyone seems far away. At first, I thought this was some kind of situation that stemmed from my spiritual development. However, I did want to ask you if you are in any way highly anxious or have experienced panic attacks? I've been a long time sufferer from panic attacks but the come in all forms. Sometimes my anxiety is mild and it's like I could be sitting with people and all the sudden feel like my brain is dissociating from everything around me. It really threw me off the first few times it happened, but as I began to research more about anxiety, I found that those feelings were a normal part of anxiety. Check out anxiety and feelings of being unreal and depersonalization. Hope this helps!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

It's not so much that I feel disconnected, but rather, the more I see, the more this life becomes unreal. If I were to travel to another planet with intelligent life, there's no way they would believe me when I tell them how on my planet:

People are killing each other over religion and their love of a god.
People are rioting over cartoons.
We've developed weapons of mass destruction that could destroy the planet.
We use nuclear energy and bury the radioactive rods in the ground, rendering the ground useless for 100,000 years.
We dig for oil under water and risk leaks that could destroy whole oceans.
Our governments have NO idea what the people want.
We hate each other over the color of our skin and our sexual preference.
Our system of survival is based on greed.

It's just not believable to me.

edit on 7/9/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I see two potentialities here: first, you are not from here, you are from another place, possibly another dimension or planet. Read the books of Dolores Cannon, who has spoken to many patients who also claim to feel like aliens here, that they do not belong, that they do not associate with their own bodies or lives. This may be helpful.

Second, something anecdotal. A couple of years ago I was wildly ill and in the hospital on a WHOLE lot of happy dilaudid. Dilaudid is stronger than morphine and I was on it for three days. When I left the hospital I promptly proceeded into two of the most odd and dreadful days I've ever known -- I experienced a complete detachment, as if the personality I know and identify as myself had suddenly shrunk into the background, only to have this almost blackly neutral being emerge, a being who didn't care about anything, who proceeded with indifference and who didn't know how to feel or identify with anything. Of course this was withdrawal from the dilauded, but honestly it scared the hell out of me. What it also was, was a chemical reaction, and so my ultimate suggestion is that it could also be something chemical in the brain.

Last, I will validate that this state is very disconcerting, also alienating and even frightening.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Well, what is a name but a human idea that is artificially applied to us? That one is an easy one to disassociate as it IS nothing but a human teaching and nothing more. I doubt that the animals in the wild have names or other odd things to do every day like go to work, go to school, etc. We live in nothing but artificial ideals and things that we perceive as reality but really, what is reality if you sit down and think about it?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Yes, we do live in world created. We are very disconnected from reality for the most part. Everything around us is a system built to make sense of reality, but for the most part, we are all very disconnected from the earth in so many ways. I think those of us who identify as spiritually aware in any shape or form know this deep down and are wanting so badly to escape this consumerism-cyborg-scripted reality.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Can't say I've ever experienced that. Sometiems I'm too painfully aware of who I am and what my name is. I wish often that I can go somewhere where nobody knows me. It's hard to make others like me just because I am a hard person to like. It'd be interesting to not know who I am. Of course, I don't want to forget who I am or what my past is. Those things are too close to me to let go of.

Unfortunately, the reality is you probably have some form of dementia or mental disorder. In fact, I know there's a mental disorder for feeling disconnected from reality or from identity. But that's all officialdom. Privately, I think it's just the executive asserting his/her will on hte world. Deep down, we all got an executive inside. The executive is always saying what is and what should be and what the plan is and so on. Basically, if something you do makes you better or allows you to live on your own, the executive will give it an enthusiastic stamp of approval. Conversely, anything that doesn't contribute to improving yourself or allowing you to live on your own gets the rejection slip.

Does anybody really know what hey truly are? I hear people saying all sorts of things. Some peple say the're a spirit. Some say they're an animal. Some say it's all just a dream.

I yam what I yam.
edit on 9-7-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I've experienced this exact feeling before, but only on a few rare occasions. I've always assumed it was some form of depersonalization (as someone before me mentioned), or just dissociation in general. Resulting from what, I don't know.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Why not stop questioning everything? Pay attention and begin to LISTEN. Sensitives learn to listen to those thoughts...put them away a bit and see what you feel afterwards.

Are you looking AT these things as strange? Maybe youre awakening? It can be very odd as what you describe as "disconnected." I propose to you that you may in fact CONNECTING, You are looking in as in a swimming pool. Things appear odd...distorted...and you cant speak.

As a sensitive myself...I feel you are one as well. I only call it as I see/feel it, and Im never off on these gut-feelings. But sure. Of course I can be completely off here...but I don't think I am. If you have any questions...write them down and put them into a U2U to me.

This is something of importance in your life if true...and I wont discuss this on-forum. It would only be challenged. doubted and disagreed with...and I wont subject myself...or you...to that.

If this makes sense to you...and you can see it answers a lot of what you are feeling...then I will hear from you. If I don't? That in itself is the answer to us both.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I experience this feeling quite often.

As others have mentioned, it sounds like you are experiencing some form of Depersonalisation. If the symptoms persist and you feel as if they are interfering with your ability to enjoy life then it might be a good idea to see a mental health professional.

My advice to you is to try take part in activities that feel personal or that help define who you are. Get in touch with your inner-self and explore your mind.

Good luck on your journey.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AeonMoon

Yes! i feel the same way. Except i dont have panic attacks, but i am anxious sometimes, but its never followed by what im talking about. When i feel this disconnection i always feel kind of calm actually. Its like im just hanging out in my thoughts and thinking how weird the feeling is.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Brigidshine

thank for the advice! These episodes arent really frightening to me more just annoying because i then have to force myself to just stop thinking about it and go back to thinking that i am who everyone thinks i am. the feeling is hard to shake once i start feeling it though because its a very strong "this is not who i really am" feeling. I guess its possible to be chemical but i dont take any medications and im not depressed or anything like that that requires medication.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

exactly how i feel

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Wow you are spot on in your last post. I cant even think of anything to ask you right now because idk even though your arent exactly answering a question of mine, i still feel like you answered everything in that last post.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Im definitely going through those feelings as of late too. It started about a year ago where I would be sitting in a car and all of a sudden I would feel like what am I doing here. Everything around me including the driver would seem so foreign and I would start questioning simple things such as "How is this car propelling itself forward by pushing the gas pedal?". Then it would also hit me while I was out shopping. In one instance I was at Target and as I stood in front of the checkout likes waiting for my sister to come back from the restroom, it hit me again. I stood there just wondering how humans were buying stuff and paying. Things like workers at the cash registers and packing bags were puzzling and almost ancient. It felt like I was from another time and the way human were interacting with each other became fascinating but yet new. I had to snap myself back into reality and stop thinking about it.

It has become scary to be honest. At times, I wish I dont feel like this but it tends to hit me without notice and I cannot control it. There has to be some kind of explanation for this

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brigidshine

I see two potentialities here: first, you are not from here, you are from another place, possibly another dimension or planet. Read the books of Dolores Cannon, who has spoken to many patients who also claim to feel like aliens here, that they do not belong, that they do not associate with their own bodies or lives. This may be helpful.

Second, something anecdotal. A couple of years ago I was wildly ill and in the hospital on a WHOLE lot of happy dilaudid. Dilaudid is stronger than morphine and I was on it for three days. When I left the hospital I promptly proceeded into two of the most odd and dreadful days I've ever known -- I experienced a complete detachment, as if the personality I know and identify as myself had suddenly shrunk into the background, only to have this almost blackly neutral being emerge, a being who didn't care about anything, who proceeded with indifference and who didn't know how to feel or identify with anything. Of course this was withdrawal from the dilauded, but honestly it scared the hell out of me. What it also was, was a chemical reaction, and so my ultimate suggestion is that it could also be something chemical in the brain.

Last, I will validate that this state is very disconcerting, also alienating and even frightening.

I have had previous experiences with what could be described as, contact with what I can only describe as "aliens".

Im interested in reading more about Dolores Cannon. Which book should I read in regards to what you mentioned ?

I went to Amazon and I found one called "The Custodians".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join