It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another report of being eaten alive by Vibria Vulnificus.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
houston.cbslocal.com...

When I was living in Houston (several years ago) I had a Nurse friend who was working out of the hospital in Galveston who told me that they had 5 cass of this horrible bacteria eatting people. This was probably around 2004/2005? Seems we are hearing more about Vibria vulnificus along the Gulf coast or maybe just better reporting?

“It thrives in warm water,” Dr. Tina Stefanski of the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals told KATC-TV. “So, you can imagine in the summer months we see an increased number of this type of bacteria in warm salt water.”

I think of the kid who went swimming in a pond and got some parasitic up her nose that ended up getting to her brain and killing her... This Bacteria in the article that eats you..... in many cases Doctors have to remove the flesh the bacteria inhabits for antibiotics seem incapable of stopping it's spread....When I was growing up long long ago I never heard reports of this type of stuff...... and myself along with friends never saw a river or pond we did not swim in...I really think over the last 50 or 70 years something has changed to allow the little buggers to be more prolific? Just speculation on my part.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I love the beaches on the Bolivar Peninsula, and while I visit them often you couldn't pay me to swim in the water. Several years ago I went to Crystal Beach with two of my girlfriends- they took a swim, I was busy sculpting a massive sand castle complex. They both got some sort of flesh eating bacteria that took months of different combinations of antibiotics to get rid of and they both ended up with serious scarring. I don't eat seafood from the Gulf since then either.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Wow lucky you!!

Like you I do not look upon the ocean as I once did. Not saying I would not surf or get in but....makes one wonder what will be the consequences if you are unlucky....There are some klongs in Bangkok that if you are traveling by boat and some of the spray gets in your eyes many people suffer from a serious eye infection; usually from the small klongs and not the major rivers. The beach areas around Phuket and Pattaya (warm water) have not reported any problems.... or I have not seen any news of people being eaten. Anyway to me it just seems weird there are more reports now along the Gulf Coast since 2005?...or maybe just better info I do not know?

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
If it ever mutated to spread easily by human to human contact, it would be the Zombie Apocalypse. Or at least something as terrible.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Here's another one in fresh water:
Naegleria fowleri an amoeba that infects the brain through the nose. 98% fatality rate.
wiki link

edit on 7/8/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

It has been showing up more often since Hurricanes Rita and Ike- Rita in 2005 and Ike in 2008. The Bolivar Peninsula got a direct hit by both hurricanes (rode them both out myself, tough storms) and I think the virus was brought in by them as it was virtually unheard of before then.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I wonder what the antidote that neutralizes the aflotoxins for this is. Bacteria usually can't eat life, but they have adapted to secreting toxins to kill cells so they can then eat them. The bacteria will just die out if they can't eat. I guess stopping RNA from replicating probably doesn't work on these little critters. I wonder if these bacteria live in fresh water also or if they need more salt in the water.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
To add to the building knowledge of this "disease-causing" bacteria:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
No one seems to have mentioned the apparent obvious answer to the appearance of this new bacteria. Well, my theory anyway is that "it" has been kept in check by the cooler climate we've had until fairly recently. I actually predicted something like this before; the warmer weather will make bacteria/ virus's stronger, insects will be larger in size & in number(s) and be more aggressive, vegetation will increase in size and number, and there will be less food as violent storms and more running water will wash away any topsoil before seeds have a chance to seat themselves and grow. The emergence of this bacteria may just be the beginning of what's to come. I surely hope not.
edit on 8-7-2013 by lostbook because: change(d) the word virus to bacteria.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

There sure are some nasty tiny little things out there in the water. That's another reason why I don't go swimming in lakes around my area.

I think of the kid who went swimming in a pond and got some parasitic up her nose that ended up getting to her brain and killing her

This happened here in Texas a few years ago. (Not the same bacteria/amoeba though)

en.wikipedia.org...

August 2010, 7-year-old Kyle Lewis died from the brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri after swimming in fresh water in Texas

Im taking a microbiology class next semester in college, and I'll be able to take a look at a bunch of these types of microorganisms up close.
edit on 8-7-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
To add to the building knowledge of this "disease-causing" bacteria:

Great video and thank you for posting

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Same here. I'll swim in a clean swimming pool but definately not any natural bodies of water. I don't like not being able to see what's going on underwater.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by 727Sky

I love the beaches on the Bolivar Peninsula, and while I visit them often you couldn't pay me to swim in the water. Several years ago I went to Crystal Beach with two of my girlfriends- they took a swim, I was busy sculpting a massive sand castle complex. They both got some sort of flesh eating bacteria that took months of different combinations of antibiotics to get rid of and they both ended up with serious scarring. I don't eat seafood from the Gulf since then either.

all you had to do was to put the limb into a sealed plastic bag.

then put ozone into it from an ozonator.

no more bacteria and viruses.

ozone bagging.

new topics

top topics

join