It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco Crash: Girl 'Possibly Run Over'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

San Francisco Crash: Girl 'Possibly Run Over'

news.sky.com

One of two teenage girls killed in an Asiana jet crash in San Francisco might have been struck by an emergency vehicle responding to the scene.

Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White and Assistant Deputy Chief Dale Carnes both raised the possibility at a news conference with first responders.

"There was a possibility one of two fatalities might have been contacted by one of our apparatus at one point during the incident," Mr Carnes said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Has anyone else heard this? So it ain't bad enough that you're actually in a plane crash, you survive only to be run over by an emergency vehicle? When you're outta luck I guess you're just out.

Some real bad kismet going on here, gotta feel for the victim and whether it be through poor training or just sheer negligence I hope whoever is responsible is held accountable.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
That's a very interesting way to go...

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Crazy that I've heard this for almost 2 days or so it seems, one of the first things they mentioned down here in Aus when they were detailing what might have happened.

But at the same time we get that the pilot was some noob with 2 minutes flight training and never landed there before - yet from the airline, he was a veteran with hundreds of hours flight time, 27 lands in the air port previously, but was only new in that plane.

A case of we get what we get down here.

But I thought you guys over there would have had that info from the get go.

It is tragic... survive a plane crash only to be run over by the emergency crews.

Then we have some short info-session about how it's safer to be on a plane than an elevator in the USA. More accidents on elevators you see, right before they tell us bout a fatal plane crash killing all 10 people on another plane. Oo

They tell us that if you're in a plane crash the safest place is in the rear, near the exits, as when they purposely dropped a plane to see what happens in reality as opposed to the movies, that was the safest place. Right after they tell us that all the more seriously injured passengers were in the rear.

News... It's garbage.. but what can you do..

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
How do you not know if you ran someone over or not. Do they not pay attention to the road ahead of them.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
If this is true, and it probably is, my heart goes out to the driver. He was focused on saving multiple lives, and not watching in front of his wheels. Thoughts to all of the family and friends of those injured.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I find it odd that the photo shown on the news of the two girls killed are clearly friends as its a single photo with them both side by side, the girl that was maybe killed by the emergency vehicle s friend was the only person killed in the crash. Seems a big coincidence

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Emergency vehicles, police cruisers and the like cause a lot of accidents and kill a lot of people every year everywhere. I always wince when they come screaming through tight streets at high speeds and hope somebody with a pair of headphones on doesn't step out in front of them and get killed/injured.

I have even been crowded off the road while in a bicycle lane a time or two by an ambulance forcing cars to the right, I understand the urgency, but there is a point where it is no longer reasonable.

I have been blinded by police cruiser lights at night on a bicycle out on the highway and had to go around to the right, and the cops kinda freaked out about me passing them in the grass, I even got stopped and had to explain it to them that they were blocking my lane and their lights blinded me, and that I didn't want to go out into the traffic lanes of the highway and get biffed. And it was really hard to be nice about it by the way.

Doesn't matter how fast they get there and get somebody to the hospital, everybody's gotta die sometime, why not make sure nobody else gets snuffed just outta courtesy.

Emergency, emergency....(eyes glaze over, rabid dog pursuit mode kicks in, damn all else but the mission)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
But at the same time we get that the pilot was some noob with 2 minutes flight training and never landed there before - yet from the airline, he was a veteran with hundreds of hours flight time, 27 lands in the air port previously, but was only new in that plane.

That's because the news is either flat out wrong, or misinterpreting what was said. He had 43 hours in the 777. He has almost 11,000 hours total, flying 747s and other types. He had made 29 landings previously at San Francisco, in 747s. This was his first landing in the 777 there.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
That would explain why the cops pulled the kid away from talking with the press so fast. Some were musing grand conspiracies but this, this right here would be a good explanation.

They don't want some kid saying, "Yeah, and I saw the fire truck run over a girl."

Very sorry to the families.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
As an airport fire fighter I felt sick when I read this. Our primary no.1 role is to save life not take it. For 24 years I have been doing this job and it is drummed into you from day one that when passengers evacuate they "bomb burst" away from the scene, they do not look where they are running too, they just run till there is a decent distance between them and the plane. This is where our deployment on the aircraft is crucial, we can't impede evacuating passengers yet we still have to get close enough where we can make conditions inside the aircraft "survivable" for anyone trapped.

I cannot imagine what the driver is going through neither do I want to. This is a real tragedy and my only hope (for all concerned) is that this poor kid was already dead, thrown clear of the aircraft, only the postmortem will tell. Regardless of the outcome, the driver will have to live with this for the rest of his life, not nice when all you want to do is save it.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

They had to drive very fast through cloud of black smoke to rescue as many passengers as they could. just a really bad timing

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by baburak

They had to drive very fast through cloud of black smoke to rescue as many passengers as they could. just a really bad timing

If he did then he's in deep doo doo. You never ever drive fast through thick black smoke for this very reason, actually you should never drive through thick black smoke, period.. Drive to arrive, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. By all means on the way there you can get spead up but upon approach you have to bleed your speed right off.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by yeebsy

It's different when the driver is the person who is responsible for saving peoples lives. They're trained to get to the place of an accident as fast as possible and he did the right thing. In accident every second matters and could mean a saved life. He did nothing wrong!

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by baburak
reply to post by yeebsy

It's different when the driver is the person who is responsible for saving peoples lives. They're trained to get to the place of an accident as fast as possible and he did the right thing. In accident every second matters and could mean a saved life. He did nothing wrong!

I am actually speechless, he may of done something wrong he may of killed the girl. Believe me if it is found out that she was killed by the vehicle then the driver will end up in court and could be facing jail time. The driver of this vehicle will be in bits about this and believe me they would be horrified at your statement.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by yeebsy

Not really. The most important thing is to get to the place of an accident as fast as possible when there's a chance for 200+ casualties. Nobody can expect a person on the runway.

'Get there as fast as possible' is the main rule and they risk their lives when they have to drive blind through the smoke just to save someone else. It was just really bad timing and unlucky coincidence.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'm going to ignore you from now on as it's obvious you have no idea how the fire service works.

It now appears the the girl was struck when the vehicle re positioned and not during the initial attack, the foam blanket was already laid and it looks like she was under the foam, not guaranteed but the poor kid may have already been dead.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by baburak

The last thing you do is race up to a plane after a crash. Precisely BECAUSE there are possibly people on the runway. If you know there are survivors around (they did thanks to the United report), then they could be standing around, or walking around in shock, so the last thing you do is race up to the plane.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Hi Z!!

I heard the reports of this around the same time you opened this thread, but I didn't have a chance to listen for details and I subsequently forgot about it.

I went fishing this morning and, on the way home at about 6.15a EST, I heard an updated report. Unfortunately a 3rd passenger passed away Friday, July 12, from injuries sustained in the crash.

The radio personality went on to say, "It has now been confirmed - a teenage girl, who survived the airplane crash, was killed when struck by a firetruck. The firetruck was among the first response team of vehicles deployed to assist the victims" [size=1.75](quoted text may not be 100% accurate to the actual wording of the original news report)

I'm sure it has been thrown around a lot, but the first thing that entered my mind was the movie, 'Final Destination'. Have you somehow cheated death by surviving a plane crash? No problem, death has a 'Plan B' for you.

What a terrible run of luck! What are the odds that you survive a fiery plane crash, only to be hit and killed by an emergency response unit? It must be astronomical... I suppose that this scenario is what the exact opposite of hitting the Powerball Lottery Jackpot looks like.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join