It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU is concerned about how Aaron Hernandez is being treated in jail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I find this to be BS, its solitary custody is good enough for the 'common' criminal, but not a celebrity...

The American Civil Liberties Union is concerned about Aaron Hernandez's accommodations in jail as the former New England Patriots tight end waits for his murder trial to start.
In a blog post on ACLU.org, the group expresses concern about the damage being done to Hernandez as he is placed in protective custody, also known as solitary confinement – which the ACLU argues can do more damage than good. It cites international communities "that recognize solitary confinement as a form of torture."

Story

If the ACLU is going to do something for Hernandez, an accused murderer, why not something for all the other accused sitting in the same conditions, awaiting trial?

Oh I forgot, theyre not celebrities.

Makes me sick how we coddle these people just because theyre famous.

By the way, he's not in prison, he's in JAIL
edit on Mon Jul 8 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I understand that it seems, all to often, that the rich and famous are treated differently than others in the courts and in jail.

But if you look at the ACLU website, they have been critical of solitary confinement for quite some time now. This is nothing new. There are quite a few articles on the topic in just the last few months.

SS

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
So where were these Hanky Stompers to stomp their hankies and make a scene when former Border Patrol Agents Ramos and Campion were doing HARD time for shooting a drug smuggler in the butt? Why 'hard' time? Well, it seems, the Bureau of Prisons deemed their former work so dangerous to their well being, they had to server the vast majority of their sentences in Solitary Confinement in one of the rougher federal prisons.

I didn't hear many, if any civil rights people saying two words about them and how patently ridiculous that was. Given the selective outrage? Hey, give this turkey what he wants. Throw him into general population and let him learn how "big and bad" sports players REALLY are. He's a little feeder fish in a sea of predators now.

I'll bet he'll end up wishing to God the ACLU had kept their mouth shut and he could get BACK to that comfy quiet and SAFE cell after being out with the real 'bad asses" for awhile to see the difference.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Yes, Yes,. .. and then wait until he goes to prison.

They don't send celebrities to the same prisons that they send "Criminals" to.

Unless of course you are Martha Stuart. Even then it will not be like a prison. He will probably have a TV, a Radio, all the cigarettes he can smoke, steak for every meal, and even an unlimited number of conjugal visits.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

I'd disagree there... I'd looked up OJ Simpson to see if what you are saying held truth and was shocked at what I found. His cell was top of the block for 'must-attend' events at his prison on Super-Bowl day. It seems any inmate can buy a TV and he sure bought his. He's known in his prison as "The Godfather" and apparently lives a very comfy life.

Perhaps he would have benefited more by Solitary.

On the other hand, some celebrities can be taken apart and fed upon like a child at a pedophile convention and in amazing short time. I'd say put them all in their private solitary cells and let them experience life without the celebrity they've come to know and expect. After all, jail and prison is about deprivation of what you like most, right? Why shouldn't that be acceptance and socializing for celebrities?
edit on 8-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wrabbit,

I agree to that to no end. Time in prison is supposed to be a punishment NOT a party. Although, with a little bit of money you can damn near have the time of your life on easy street. Plus all of the conjugal visits you could muster.

Also, about celebrities that "take it in the rear" so to speak. Jeffery Dahmer was one of those. He had a very bad way to go of what life he had left. Maybe it was fitting. Who am I to say.
edit on 8-7-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
As a pats fan, this case is particularly entertaining. Although the ACLU I think is ridiculous for many reasons, what Aaron did was inexcusable, and should be treated like any other inmate for murder. He should receive no special treatment, I don't see the ACLU caring about the welfare of any other murderers? I personally think the ACLU is a dishonorable organization to begin with.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wrabbit there aren't any comfy places in prison. Everyone can have a tv purchased for them by their family or friends. They can also have a radio. Unless they are in Segregated Housing Unit where a lot of those things are not allowed. SHU is where you go when you have broken the law in prison. It is also where you go when you are in protective custody. You can PC yourself up as well by claiming an enemy.

Here is a catalog of items that may be purchased for inmates in an SHU unit in a California prison. These are called quarterly packages.Catalog Inmates are allowed 480 ounces once every three months. Even though they may receive a package every three months there are limits to the numbers of certain items that they may possess.

Prison is a very degrading and stifling place to be. The cops are dirty and play a lot of games. It is punishment, as it is supposed to be. There are very few creature comforts. If you are in SHU unit or an Administrative Segregation unit your life is pretty miserable. At least in general population you can work or go to school, depending upon the crowding situation and the specific programs offered at any given prison. You can get into a routine that can make your life bearable. It isn't any type of vacation as you suggest.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

He will probably be sent to the same prison someone not famous will be sent to. He is not being tried at the Federal level but the State level.

No one has steak in a state prison. That is ridiculous.

He is in protective custody right now because of the notoriety of his case. Certain criminals are housed in PC units while awaiting trial. That is how the system works.

That being said, he is a murderer from what I can tell. Fortunately for him, he will be able to afford quality representation. However, I don't think he will ever be free again.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

This man is so history. He must be about suicidal about now. Seriously. He has been abandoned by his team as well as the league.

I am a big football fan, and in fact have had Hernandez on a few of my Fantasy teams as my tight end selection. Although he never out performed Gronkowski. He still was a decent pick before he was injured in 2012.

Anyway, here is an article that I just read at NFL.com. Needless to say, he is persona non grata.

The Plain Dealer reported Saturday the Hall of Fame has removed a photo of the former New England Patriots tight end after multiple visitors to the Canton, Ohio, museum complained of its presence.

The photo -- which depicted Hernandez skipping into the end zone for a touchdown against the Green Bay Packers in 2010 -- was the winning image in a Hall of Fame photo contest.

"In the spirit of good taste we thought we'd take it down," said Joe Horrigan, the Hall's vice president of communication and exhibits.

Link

edit on 14-7-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join