It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mos Def force fed under standard Guantánamo Bay Procedure

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

WARNING: some viewers may find the video distressing

As Ramadan begins, more than 100 hunger-strikers in Guantánamo Bay continue their protest. More than 40 of them are being force-fed. A leaked document sets out the military instructions, or standard operating procedure, for force-feeding detainees. In this four-minute film made by Human Rights organisation Reprieve and Bafta award-winning director Asif Kapadia, US actor and rapper Yasiin Bey (formerly known as Mos Def), experiences the procedure

Warning some viewers may find these images distressing

www.guardian.co.uk...

Well that was gross.

I'd rather starve to death too if I were never going to get a trial and was stuck in a hell hole being tortured. .Guantanamo needs to be shut down.
edit on Mon Jul 8 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: added WARNING

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Keeping islamic terrorists alive when they wish to die is the correct course of action.
All they have to do is start eating by themselves and force feeding need not occur.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
What a pansy. Not to say that this is an ethical practice, but it's not a formal form of torture by any means, nor is the intent to torture. Mos Def lasted like 10 seconds.

I agree that Guantanimo should be shut down; however, while it's open, the inmates don't leave us with much choice but to force feed them when they go on hunger strikes.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Aside from my noted objections in a thread I wrote on the topic for force feeding during Ramadan and how that impacts the religious side of things (For our benefit as a nation of laws, not theirs as predators in a cage), I really have pretty clear feelings on this.

If they want to die, let them. Help them. Make it as easy as humanly possible for them. If they really want to die by starvation? Good. It's a hard hard way to die and I can think of few better men in the world to suffer that specific fate than those who remain in that place now. Who are we to "violate" them by keeping them alive?

Now..I'd add to the above that we should have food available and ready to offer them, right to the last moment of their dying breath. Legitimate and sincere offers for help if they change their mind. It's the human thing to do.. However, they want to force release? Well... There is a way out of Gitmo. Find a fence and climb. The Machine guns will bring escape before climbing will but one brings the other without all that discomfort of starving.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordDerpingtonSmythe
Keeping islamic terrorists alive when they wish to die is the correct course of action.
All they have to do is start eating by themselves and force feeding need not occur.

You should really educate yourself.

Most of those held at Guantanamo have never been charged with any crime. Additionally a large number have been cleared for release, because they have shown to have done nothing wrong, yet for some reason they are still imprisoned.

They want to die because they did nothing wrong yet they are still in prison, with no representation, no charges, and no hope that they'll ever be released.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Most of these guys are held in cages. There is no running to a fence and committing suicide by guard.

I still star you because I agree that if they want to die they shouldn't be forced to live.
edit on 8-7-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I couldn't agree more.

Now prove to me and the world that the prisoners ARE terrorists and there won't be any issue.

I hope you make the wrong type of enemy one day and end up strapped down getting force fed, while everyone calls you a terrorist and you have nothing to do but sit there and suffer for something you never did. Fun life huh? You probably don't think that deeply into things though, do you? You watch your TV or listen to your little clock radio and think you've got it all under control. Brown skin - terrorst. Middle eastern name - terrorist. You have been brainwashed well sir, and while I am disgusted with the outcome, I'm impressed by how thoroughly your masters have manged to scramble your brain.

I'd love to see your documents that prove the guilt of those prisoners, you surely have such documents, right? I mean there is no way a random person would just mindlessly believe that everyone there is a terrorist and it's being done for your safety, right? That's not reasonable. People aren't that stupid. Right? People with well-used minds tend to think a little deeper than some among us are capable of.

With that out of the way, was anyone else wondering why mos def got sent to gitmo when the read the title? I was very confused until reading the story.
edit on 8-7-2013 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Assuming they are "convicted terrorists"... (hypothetically speaking kinda)

it's interesting to me why you wouldn't sentence them to "Deathrow". Aka, euthanize them.

I mean, we do it to our own people who commit horrendous crimes.. If these guys were really "Terrorists" in the flesh, why aren't they being killed in the same fashion inmates on Deathrow are?

it costs ~$150,000,000 a year to pay to keep 150-160 inmates.

----------

Another thing, Mos Def got anesthetic on the feeding tube. I read a day or two ago, they typically use Olive Oil instead, as the inmates "prefer it".. I'm assuming they don't really get the option.

Mos Def didn't even get the full experience. I'm sure you get slapped, punched, kicked, a few times till shock overcomes you (if it hasn't already) and you're laying there motionless to make it easier for them to shove tubes down your nostrils. I also assume that they have the inmates much more secure than one single head strap. They probably can't move your head much at all during this procedure.

Mos Def might have been a "pansy" to some of you, but that's how he acted going through 1/2 the procedure, with a lot more care than the inmates would typically get. The real deal must be pretty horrific.
edit on 8-7-2013 by introV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

He's not actually at Guantanamo - he volunteered to undergo the procedure to show what these prisoners are experiencing.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

You should really educate yourself.

Most of those held at Guantanamo have never been charged with any crime. Additionally a large number have been cleared for release, because they have shown to have done nothing wrong, yet for some reason they are still imprisoned.

They want to die because they did nothing wrong yet they are still in prison, with no representation, no charges, and no hope that they'll ever be released.

My understanding is that there is a concern over recidivism.

President Obama banned all Yemen transfers in 2009, following the attempted bombing of a Detroit-bound passenger jet, when one of the Al Qaeda leaders allegedly behind the plan turned out to be a former Gitmo prisoner.

source

This seems to be fair enough.Yemen appears to be a hotbed of extremism.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Personally, if they want to starve themselves to death, then let them. I'd put food and water well within their reach, but I wouldn't force feed them to keep them alive.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
What a pansy. Not to say that this is an ethical practice, but it's not a formal form of torture by any means, nor is the intent to torture. Mos Def lasted like 10 seconds.

I agree that Guantanimo should be shut down; however, while it's open, the inmates don't leave us with much choice but to force feed them when they go on hunger strikes.

in case you didn't know
this used to be done to women
during the early 20th century [force feeding ]
blogs.warwick.ac.uk...
i.dailymail.co.uk...

their "crime" was demanding the vote for women

but i guess enabler's will always be fine with torture if it's for their benefit, economically or otherwise

you have only the word of known psychopathic liars and killers
that the people locked up in gitmo ever hurt anyone.

but don't let me get in the way of the Two Minutes Hate

and pay no heed to my words as I Am quite "Insane"

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LordDerpingtonSmythe

They aren't terrorists. They are farmers and family men that were kidnapped by extremists and handed over to the US for bounties.

They aren't trying to kill themselves they are protesting their illegal detention.

Deny ignorance right?

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

I'd love to see you give it a shot, tough guy. It didn't seem too complex a procedure. Get you a clear sterile tube and some lube and get to shoving. Be sure to record all this and put it on youtube, thanks in advance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join