It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
reply to post by neo96

i wasn't talking about the rights we 'have' or don't have, when people say 'Stop throwing it in my face' i'm saying we are afforded the same rights of expression and speech as you,

And?

Same freedom of expression that allows rainbow flags on private property , and " I am gay and I'm proud' also ALLOWS someone's else to voice their displeasure with it.
edit on 8-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

Neo, I understand where you're coming from. However, what's the big deal about allowing marriage benefits to homosexuals?

I honestly don't care anymore they can HAVE AT It.

They want the 'right' to give their other halves the right to take their home,the cars,the kids, the dog, and the kitchen sink.

HAVE FUN with that.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by neformore

Wouldn't it be nice if the ex military man turned his attention to the homeless and the starving and helped them out instead of obsessing on a brightly coloured flag?

So you suggest those who have sacrificed should keep their opinion to themselves and keep on sacrificing for others while those who haven’t can continue to abuse the freedoms they did nothing to earn? Got it!

He fought in the Korean war.

That is not a sacrifice for America... Except that WE had to sacrifice tax dollars to pay him.

When one wants everyone to accept their lifestyle how does it benefit their cause to be intolerant of anothers lifestyle choice? Seems to be a lot of anger and hate towards people that you have never met and don't know a thing about.

I could care less what flag anyone flies anywhere in the world on any given day. I could care less what anybody does in their own bedroom. Why does anyone need to be all in anyone's face about their beliefs? To each their own.
No special interest group from any walk of life should be trying to shove their beliefs down anyone's throat.
edit on 8-7-2013 by Privateinquotations because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Bingo!!!! so they can join the same marriage and divorce misery that the rest of the population enjoy this modern days.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

and as i've always stated i concur,

my point before this sidetracking was that they were flying a flag in a Park for a pride event, i say allow anyone to fly their flag for their event, instead of enacting Government to ban flags, except for Mardi Gras of course, they should further protect everyone's right to expression

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by LightOrange

I like how you quoted my post that refuted your silly partisan stereotype and you went off in a whole other direction with another silly partisan stereotype.

Quote’s please….

He can try to pass the law. I'm not butt hurt about it (it takes a lot to hurt this butt).
You’re criticizing a citizen for petitioning his councilman. It’s none of your business! You disagree with him and you’re butt hurt, obviously, or you wouldn’t be on here ranting.

He is within his rights to try and pass his silly potential law, and I am within my rights to criticize his silly potential law and scrutinize it.

Absolutely…but call it a rant.

I highly doubt the law will pass, not only because I think the control over which flag is flown where and all that tripe s just nonsense, but also because the manner in which he is approaching it comes of incredibly anti-homosexual and he isn't really making a strong case for why it should be passed. He's just saying "it's offensive" and then quickly hiding being "DAMMIT I'M A WAR VETERAN". The guy sounds like a moronic bigot, and he's probably not going to be received well.

You are confused. You’re mixing up Mr Green and the councilman. Mr Green is the veteran and he drafted no law.

edit on 8-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

Uh huh. Mr Greens rant just happened to go to his councilmen. errr ahh err I mean complaint errr ahh ummm I mean Mr. Green was only excirsising his constitutional right to be a homophob! LMAO Got to love you some home grown hypocrisy!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Maybe I need a vacation. This thread has my head spinning.

It seems that the people supporting flying the flag in a public park are saying it's free expression and should be allowed.

But surely they can't mean that. That allows burning crosses by the Klan, showing the Christmas Mass from the Vatican, playing copies of Hitler's speeches while marching up and down under a NAZI banner, covering the park with photos of pieces of babies during Roe v. Wade protests, displaying cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed, beheading victims, and having pork eating contests, and so many more.

And if it's a public park, or other venue, can any group claim it in it's entirety, including the surrounding sidewalks? People were arrested in Dearborn for counter-protesting a Muslim event, at which they were the ones hit by thrown objects.

Isn't it simpler to make "public (government controlled) venues" as neutral as can be? Or is it so necessary to fly gay flags that all the rest is acceptable as well?

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, since all of those other things already happen and are protected by the 1st amendment.

Sarcasm is hard to pick up sometimes.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Maybe I need a vacation. This thread has my head spinning.

It seems that the people supporting flying the flag in a public park are saying it's free expression and should be allowed.

But surely they can't mean that. That allows burning crosses by the Klan, showing the Christmas Mass from the Vatican, playing copies of Hitler's speeches while marching up and down under a NAZI banner, covering the park with photos of pieces of babies during Roe v. Wade protests, displaying cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed, beheading victims, and having pork eating contests, and so many more.

And if it's a public park, or other venue, can any group claim it in it's entirety, including the surrounding sidewalks? People were arrested in Dearborn for counter-protesting a Muslim event, at which they were the ones hit by thrown objects.

Isn't it simpler to make "public (government controlled) venues" as neutral as can be? Or is it so necessary to fly gay flags that all the rest is acceptable as well?

So you compare burning a cross in a public park to flying a rainbow flag? ( Its a Rainbow flag for gods sakes I mean come on how threatened can you be by a rainbow flag?) I think burning a cross could be dangerous. Just saying. The bottom line is this Vet is the one who is "butt sore" over gay rights and what I am sure he considers a losing fight. Now he is lashing out in an attempt to get some satisfaction he will never get. So sad.

AH HA! You do remember the Dearborn thread Charles. Charles you leave so much out about the Dearborn thread but that's okay because I will provide the link so people can see all the ugly hate and bigotry.

These are kind of off topic with the exception of the extreme bigotry expressed in some of the post.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Lets not forget this one Charles .... I am/was TRGreer

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

Mr. Green should finally realize that he went overseas and fought in the Korean War to fill the coffers of the military-industrial complex at the expense of human misery. I call it cognitive dissonance, no one wants to admit that they were duped into participating in such a travesty. Unfortunately the dupes keep on marching off to the meat grinder.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch and SuicideBankers

Gentlemen, (unless of course, you're female, or a scoundrel)

Welcome back to TRGreer! If anyone is ever in need of a Sectretary of Individualized Personhood, let me recommend him (or SuicideBankers). What a guy.

Anyway, to you both. I'm not very good at sarcasm and I don't use it often. Even then I end up having to apologize for it. This time it was not sarcasm.

All those activities happen and are protected by the First Amendment? I'm not so sure. I picked Chicago at random and looked at their Park Code. Unless you get official government approval ahead of time, the following are prohibited:

Groups of more than 50 people
The distribution of leaflets or any documents indoors, in a garden, or in any special facility
Any exhibit, dramatic event television broadcast
Amplified sound
Fireworks
A sporting event
Fire
Alcohol
Sales or offer to sell anything
Anything that uses auxilliary outside power
The erection of a tent, platform, canopy or other structure
Any commercial matter

I don't see any First Amendment protection for the events I mentioned.

Certainly the burning of the cross, or any of the events I mentioned were objectionable to some people, as is the flying of the Rainbow flag to some people. I think the danger comes in because some groups are less likely to hold in their disgust, and more likely to react violently.

But, as we have seen, government already prohibits many activities without regard to First Amendment issues. It just seems to me, at first glance, that adding "Flying a non-governmental flag" could be added to the list without causing significant problems.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

that is your belief fine, but we are protected under the constitution "All men created equal"

Please share the Constitutional protection in this case…I’ll wait. I'm still unclear as to whose rights were violated by a man petitioning his councilman.

this argument of 'Stop throwing it in my face' is all i hear on these forums, that again falls under freedom of expression, it's hypocritical to pick and select who gets freedoms and who doesn't, i will defend your freedom of thought,belief, speech, and expression, but i am afforded the same

we pay the same taxes as you

The reason I said “stop throwing it in our face” is for your benefit. The actions of many gays is akin to a little child poking at another kid. Eventually the kid getting poked finally has enough and lashes out. Then the kid who was doing the poking cries foul. It doesn’t work like that in the real world, bud. If you keep poking at me, I’ll put up with it for a while, but eventually I’m going to lash out. If you want to be treated equally then act reasonably rather than all of this “in your face” obnoxious behavior. There is no need to fly a gay flag. Nobody wants to hear about or see signs of your sexuality….you’re not important! Get over yourself!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by luciddream

And you wonder why people so open about their support to LGBT?

This is just stupid. Leave it alone, and it won't bother you!

So we're uptight about erecting a Christian or atheist monument, but a LGBT flag is perfectly acceptable? It's the double standard that irritates me.

People were uptight about the monuments because they were on Federal land. This would ban it flying in public venues. No double standard here.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

It may be a small thing but "public" venues are government owned or controlled lands. If it's unconstitutional for the feds, it's unconstitutional for the states or cities. I'm voting for double standard.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Oh what a sad state American society finds itself in once again.

So, this guy fought in the Korean War for `freedom` against people who were actually fighting for their freedom and their own nation. This guy did not fight for freedom. He fought to take away other`s freedom so it comes as no surprise that he is upset over the flying of the rainbow flag.

The flying of any flag is, to my mind, an expression of free speech. It is symbolic speech which should be protected by the 1st amendment; unless of course the courts and silly politicians forget about that which they often do. I have no idea how far this will go but I am sure the people can stop this silly bill from actually getting signed into law. Yet, the American people have let me down many times before. The patriot act got signed into law without much resistance from the American people.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I agree with is ridiculous as in people being so self absorbed with their sexuality they just love to make it other peoples business.

Who bloody cares?

Does the rainbow flag need to fly at public buildings?

No.

Why should there one be is their a ' I'm Straight and I proud flag currently flying'.

Blah.

I find your post offensive. Gay Pride is not just about being proud of gay. It's being proud that you survived. Survived all the hateful things people say to you growing up. Surviving being afraid for just being who are. For surviving the loss of friends and family because being gay didn't fit their idea of who you should be. And for surviving a whole lot of other things that you probably never even had to think about.

And yes, I am proud of surviving those things and coming out the other side a whole, self-actualized person.

You should be down on your knees and thankful that you don't need to have a "Straight Pride" flag.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AllInMyHead

Sorry never been one to care what others have ever thought of me, never been one to put others opinions above my own.

Bow down?

That will be the day.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Notice how its always the baby boomers who are at the forefront of anti-gay stories?

Just a few more years folks. Just a few more years.

Just a note to thank you for stereotyping millions and millions of Americans whom you will never know.

Baby boomers... because you were born between certain years, you are ee-ville.

Way to go. Our future is in good hands.

Im not wrong about the majority of these cases being spearheaded by baby boomers, but really, check your feet. The sarcasm dripping off of my post should be all over them.

Apparently the stereo type about senses of humor is true...

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by AllInMyHead

Sorry never been one to care what others have ever thought of me, never been one to put others opinions above my own.

Bow down?

That will be the day.

Three things a straight man never wants to hear: Bow down, bend over or your house is on fire.

This country is in a sad state of affairs when a piece of cloth representing homosexuality gets more respect than a human being who risked his life serving his country.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Right about one thing?

Yeah hatred,intolerance, and bigotry are not traits unique to straight people.

edit on 8-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join