It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
I agree with is ridiculous as in people being so self absorbed with their sexuality they just love to make it other peoples business.

Who bloody cares?

Does the rainbow flag need to fly at public buildings?

No.

Why should there one be is their a ' I'm Straight and I proud flag currently flying'.

Blah.

What Neo said.

Second line!

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange
*snip*
Maybe republicans should just stay inside on the week of the 26th.

What was that about freedom? Maybe people talking about "pride" should not be so vulgar in public places. Plus, we all know what pride precedes.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

*snip*

What was that about freedom? Maybe people talking about "pride" should not be so vulgar in public places. Plus, we all know what pride precedes.

i know, those Christians with signs that says 'God hates *****' the vulgarity is outstanding,

so what does pride precede?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by redoubt

Religion is a disease. Its symbols are an embarrassment to any society that erects them.

When I have children I plan to take them to the remaining religious displays so we can laugh at, and mourn for, the deluded idiots we once shared a planet with.
edit on 8-7-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

If someone posted what you did, substituting "homosexuality" for "religion", you would throw a fit. Selective bias?

He went to another country and served the government for their interests because the TV told him it was patriotic.

Something another brainwashed hooligan with a shaved head and a gun pushing government agendas across the globe wouldn't understand.

Oh, look, more bias! The hypocrisy is astounding.

edit on 12-7-2013 by LadyGreenEyes because: added comment

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   

I have a couple of issues with this....issue and feel a need to say my piece. Earlier in the thread someone made a comparison of flying this flag to erecting religious or atheist monuments on public grounds.

If the flag were to be erected as religious or atheist monuments tend to be, then I would agree that this would be inappropriate, but those monuments when erected, are done so with the intent of it remaining permanently. This flag though was erected for a one day annual celebration, not as a permanent monument. Now I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think anyone would raise issue with a religious or any other type group, who is celebrating something for one day on public grounds to erect a temporary monument for the day of their celebration provided they followed the legalities of using the area for their function such as obtaining permits for use for the day and so forth.

Regarding the quote above from LadyGreenEyes, there is absolutely nothing vulgar about people talking about pride in a public place. Pride does not equate to public sexual displays, I have publicly discussed my pride in some of my accomplishments. And there is nothing vulgar about a rainbow flag, it's just colors and nature paints the same colors across the sky periodically after rainfall.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

If someone posted what you did, substituting "homosexuality" for "religion", you would throw a fit. Selective bias?

Fundamentally different. One is intrinsic to a person's very nature, and the other is a series of continued choices. In other words, one is attacking the person and the other is attacking the beliefs.

And yes...I do know it's in your opinion that homosexuality is a choice. I am of course speaking from a different viewpoint on that matter.
edit on 12-7-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

*snip*

Do you know what freedom is? If you don't like something, you can stay away from it. Nobody is forcing anyone to watch a gay pride anything. Not as much can be said about the straight pride parade; AKA western pop culture -- every single hour of every single day. Turn on your TV, guaranteed you'll see a half-naked woman in less than 30 seconds of channel flicking.

I tend to not watch a lot of TV.

Maybe you should tend to not go to a public space where a Pride event is being held (with fair warning) for one week out of an entire year.

Or were you looking for "special rights and priveledges"?

And what does pride precede? The Fourth of July? I'm not understanding your point.
edit on 12-7-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Oh, look, "hypocrisy".

Another word you don't seem to know the definition of.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Some of the comments on this thread are truly astounding to me. I am amazed people still harbor and express such repressive thoughts toward a select group of people.

Also, the idea that only the homosexual community expresses themselves in a "vulgar" way is patently preposterous. There are plenty of deeply vulgar heterosexual people flaunting all kinds of things, all the time -- on the street, in the movies, in bars, in parades.

If you don't like homosexuals or do not want them to live their lives out loud, maybe don't go to gay pride parades. Honestly, it's not that hard.

"Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” -- Matthew 22

Amazing how many Christian people or otherwise seemingly "decent people" forget about the part where loving their neighbor is equated to loving God, and also is one of the two greatest commandments. Unlike, say, JUDGING. Newsflash: GAY PEOPLE ARE YOUR NEIGHBORS. LOVE THEM AS YOURSELF.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Speaking as a proud veteran, I agree that the flying of any non-governmental flag in front of or within any governmental building should not be allowed. This also includes the Confederate flag. That flag did, at one time, represent a government, but it no longer does, and the arguments about it "just representing Southern pride" don't wash.

The only flags that should be flying within or before a government building are the U.S. flag, and the appropriate State flag.

The only exceptions to this are Border crossings and Embassies, where the US flag should be given precedence on our side of the border, and on embassy grounds since the enclave is within our borders.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime

*snip*

i know, those Christians with signs that says 'God hates *****' the vulgarity is outstanding,

so what does pride precede?

WBC is a CULT, made up of members of one extended family, not a Christian group. No Christian group I know supports their madness. That from a REAL Baptist.

Originally posted by Pixiefyre

I have a couple of issues with this....issue and feel a need to say my piece. Earlier in the thread someone made a comparison of flying this flag to erecting religious or atheist monuments on public grounds.

If the flag were to be erected as religious or atheist monuments tend to be, then I would agree that this would be inappropriate, but those monuments when erected, are done so with the intent of it remaining permanently. This flag though was erected for a one day annual celebration, not as a permanent monument. Now I could be wrong, but I wouldn't think anyone would raise issue with a religious or any other type group, who is celebrating something for one day on public grounds to erect a temporary monument for the day of their celebration provided they followed the legalities of using the area for their function such as obtaining permits for use for the day and so forth.

Regarding the quote above from LadyGreenEyes, there is absolutely nothing vulgar about people talking about pride in a public place. Pride does not equate to public sexual displays, I have publicly discussed my pride in some of my accomplishments. And there is nothing vulgar about a rainbow flag, it's just colors and nature paints the same colors across the sky periodically after rainfall.

What I referenced was actual vulgar displays at such events. I won't link to those here, but you can locate them if you really want to. Can't say I advise it, though.

In this case, however, this is a flag, not a sign or banner. If a group wanted to use the park, and erect, say, a Confederate flag for the day, or a Christian flag, there would be massive protests. What this proposed bill would do is prohibit ANY of those, to avoid the uproar. You don't see anything bad about this rainbow flag, but some do. I don't see anything wrong with some other choices, but some do. As long as they are fair across the board, it seems valid to me. They state flags, and only flags, not banners or signs, so free speech would still be allowed. They state PUBLIC, too, not private, so people could fly whatever they want on their own property.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Fundamentally different. One is intrinsic to a person's very nature, and the other is a series of continued choices. In other words, one is attacking the person and the other is attacking the beliefs.

And yes...I do know it's in your opinion that homosexuality is a choice. I am of course speaking from a different viewpoint on that matter.
edit on 12-7-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

What was stated was -

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by redoubt

Religion is a disease. Its symbols are an embarrassment to any society that erects them.

When I have children I plan to take them to the remaining religious displays so we can laugh at, and mourn for, the deluded idiots we once shared a planet with.
edit on 8-7-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

No, this is NOT different. Homosexuality is NOT intrinsic to one's nature. It's not genetic, but a behavioral issue, most likely (if one reads the studies) caused by environmental influences, meaning events, etc., not the atmosphere). Religion is Constitutionally protected, and if you don't see that statement, which I note you did NOT include in your response, as offensive, then we are diametrically opposed in opinion. I didn't say homosexuality was a choice, either. I did state it's a behavior. My opinion, based on reading quite a lot on the matter over the years, is that it actually is a mental disorder, that should have been left on the books. I don't think it's right to assault a person for that, by any means, but treating people with a disorder as a specially protected class of citizens is flat out wrong. It's not even fair to them. it's like pretending someone doesn't have a medical issue, and not treating them.

The fact that you don't seem to have an issue with the statement by Wertdagf is proof of my point. Clear bias. Thanks for confirming it.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Oh, look, "hypocrisy".

Another word you don't seem to know the definition of.

Ad hominem attacks do not further your position. You stated,

He went to another country and served the government for their interests because the TV told him it was patriotic.

Something another brainwashed hooligan with a shaved head and a gun pushing government agendas across the globe wouldn't understand.

In doing so, you were derisive and insulting to military personnel, and you seem to think that's acceptable, while making a thread about a man that was offended by your own personal beliefs. THAT, is hypocrisy. Look it up, and learn something.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

o, this is NOT different. Homosexuality is NOT intrinsic to one's nature. It's not genetic, but a behavioral issue, most likely (if one reads the studies) caused by environmental influences, meaning events, etc., not the atmosphere)

There is as much evidence for environmental causes for homosexuality as there are for biological ones if you read the hundreds of studies available.

Claiming one is more prevalent than the other, or that one has 'better' evidence than the other is intellectually dishonest. It's simply mixing your emotional opinion of homosexuality with the scientific hypothesis that best fits the conclusion you'd like to come to.

I myself do not claim to know either way, I think it's a bit of both.

On topic, I think it's dumb to fly any flags other than the national/official ones on government buildings.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brigidshine
Some of the comments on this thread are truly astounding to me. I am amazed people still harbor and express such repressive thoughts toward a select group of people.

Also, the idea that only the homosexual community expresses themselves in a "vulgar" way is patently preposterous. There are plenty of deeply vulgar heterosexual people flaunting all kinds of things, all the time -- on the street, in the movies, in bars, in parades.

If you don't like homosexuals or do not want them to live their lives out loud, maybe don't go to gay pride parades. Honestly, it's not that hard.

"Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” -- Matthew 22

Amazing how many Christian people or otherwise seemingly "decent people" forget about the part where loving their neighbor is equated to loving God, and also is one of the two greatest commandments. Unlike, say, JUDGING. Newsflash: GAY PEOPLE ARE YOUR NEIGHBORS. LOVE THEM AS YOURSELF.

I can, have, and will continue to condemn such behavior in public from anyone that is acting in such a fashion. What was stated was that, at these parades, people do things that would have others actually arrested. That's clear bias. Having a parade doesn't excuse immoral or indecent public behavior, for ANYONE. No one said "only homosexuals" do this. It was said that others would be arrested. Go back and reread.

Your statement that, if people don't like vulgar public behavior, they should stay home, shows a total lack of respect for the rights of people. There are standards of public behavior for a reason.

It is possible to love a person and NOT approve of all that they do. The one doesn't require the other. In fact, to love a person, yet accept bad behavior from them, isn't really loving them at all. It's saying you don't care enough about them to try and help them past something harmful. Parents don't stop loving their children when they set rules. You wouldn't stop loving a drug-addicted friend of you tried to get them help.

People like the WBC that condemn any and all that are not themselves aren't showing love. People that preach a message about sin, and warn about hell, and offer that there is a way to salvation, are different. They provide a solution. That is done from love. That some can't see this doesn't make it not so. If your small child runs into the street, and you spank them, they learn to equate running in the street with pain,and are thus safer. They will probably resent the spanking, but that doesn't mean it wasn't done out of love.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
That flag has no place there. Why do they have to have a freaking pride parade ? I think it's three fold in 1. it helps them reassure themselves that they are truly "gay" and that they are not afraid to flaunt it and 2. it helps them recruit and increase their numbers, and 3. they are a very angry group of people and this brings them the conflict that they so desire.
Keep it in the privacy of your own homes people. I don't go out with a freaking banner displaying " STRAIGHT PRIDE", It's no one's business but the moment these idiots bring it into the public eye it invites public criticism and they need to understand that.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

That flag has no place there. Why do they have to have a freaking pride parade ? I think it's three fold in 1. it helps them reassure themselves that they are truly "gay" and that they are not afraid to flaunt it and 2. it helps them recruit and increase their numbers, and 3. they are a very angry group of people and this brings them the conflict that they so desire.
Keep it in the privacy of your own homes people. I don't go out with a freaking banner displaying " STRAIGHT PRIDE", It's no one's business but the moment these idiots bring it into the public eye it invites public criticism and they need to understand that.

Stop persecuting them and they would stop seeing it as something to be defiant about. The only reason they do it is because they are tried of your bigotry. Besides, I don't see you complaining about Christians prowling the streets with signs declaring homosexuality to be a disease. So you're comfortable with the denigration of homosexuality, but not the support of it?
edit on 1-10-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

That's funny. You just assume that because I do not agree with the gay agenda that I am automatically aligned with groups like Westboro. Well I do believe that groups like them seem to have the right concept, I mean at least they are on the right side of the fence but they go about things in a horrible way. PERSECUTION? Give me a break. The most highly persecuted group on the planet right now are Christians and it is simply because we say NO! You can't do this or that. And homosexuals hate that, they are like my 6 yr old son in their thought processes. Just rebellious children who's parents are out of town for the weekend.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Say "no" to what exactly? and what gives you the right to say "No" to other people who do not follow your lifestyle?

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Well isnt there already a law that makes it illegal to have specific symbols in public buildings? Why not just enforce the existing laws, I am pretty sure they cover pentagrams, crosses swastikas and the rainbow flag.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14 >>

join