It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

The point of my post was to say many gay people have served or are serving or will serve in the military be it American, British, Australian whatever! Would you deny them the right to raise the Rainbow flag just because they are gay even though they serve to protect gay and straight alike?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brigidshine
reply to post by grayghost

You have every right to be what you want.
I have every right to not buy into the gay community behavior.
I have said it once and i will say it again,The one and only place we see
homosexuality carried out openly is in the animal kingdom.
God made Adam and Eve, Not Adam and Steve.When two men engage in sex it is an abomination
unto God.

First inherent flaw in your statement: gays do not "want" to be gay. They ARE gay, just like you are, I presume, straight. And so you are asserting a belief, not a fact. Please get that straight.

Whether the majority of Americans choose to believe that science is wrong and the Bible knows best is irrelevant. My ultimate point -- you have NO right to push your BELIEF onto anybody else as to what a gay person is or is not. You wanting to close down their right to celebration and expression is equal to me wanting to shut your mouth on message boards about this "God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" malarkey. (For the record, when are we going to retire that old and played out saying? Find something new.)

Having said that, I assume you include humans in the animal kingdom? As any good science-interested person would. Because, uh, guess what? We are. And you're absolutely right --- there ARE other animals that are homosexual, only steeling the scientific data already present indicating homosexual genetics. Begs a question, doesn't it? If homosexuality is among us and other animals -- probably means it's normal within genetics, don't you think? And normative, period.

So look --- no one is pushing any belief on you. Believe me, most gay people probably wouldn't want to be in the same room with a person who thinks along the same lines that you do, much less push their agenda on you. They simply want to exist OUT LOUD just as we all do, as moms, hunters, Democrats, joggers, gardeners, bachelors...you name it. Gay Pride Day is no different than St. Patrick's Day where you find tons of Irish and non-Irish out in the streets getting drunk and puking in the rivers, quite grotesquely. I don't necessarily want to see that either, but hey, it's within their rights, no? And I can just stay home and do my own thing. News flash: so can you. Likewise, being gay and enjoying self expression is wholly within a human being's rights (pursuit of happiness, anyone?), whether they strike against your sensibilities or not.
edit on 9-7-2013 by Brigidshine because: (no reason given)

Save it because that dog won't hunt.Do you expect me to accept that?

~No one is pushing any belief on you~ Yea right.

So let me repeat the one and only place you see such behavior is in the

animal kingdom. I know it is hard to for you to swallow but it is a fact.

Go over to Tideland And watch a group of monkeys and tell me that i am wrong.

If you can come back and tell me that you did not see this behavior.

I will accept it.The only stipulation i ask is for you to tell the truth.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

If a cross (religious) is on display in front of an atheist or his/her children, what damage is done? What is the crime?

redoubt, that's a good point I don't know how many cases that atheist have brought against Christians when it comes to religious displays, recently a girl was forced to either remove her cross or hide it due to the fact some people could be offended, this is idiotic.
dailycaller.com...

To the OP, if you are going to wage a war for freedom to display something you find sacred, you better be wiling to wage that war for your fellow citizens whether you agree with them on certain issues or not.

Would you fight for her right to display her cross?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

You can't ride motorcycles in our parks, face it people, the land of the free is more uptight then many other countries.

Don't spit on the sidewalk.

Many people want their rights upheld while in the same breath revel the fact others rights are being taken away from them, what goes around comes around eventually.
Bellum omnium contra omnes

That old saying do unto others comes to mind.
edit on 083131p://bTuesday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

i am not sure what to think about this
Part of me is for yes and part for no

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
Rainbow or any non-governmental flag. This isn't discriminatory if that's really the case.

I agree. Government buildings have no business flying anything other than government flags.
Town flag. State flag. Country flag. Historical government flags (like at the Brandywine Battlefield down the road they fly flags from the Revolutionary War). But there is no need to fly the rainbow flag or the papal flag or a Santa Claus flag ... whatever other flag people can come up with. Only official government flags should be on government buildings. IMHO.

Side note .. I think that the black MIA/POW flag is considered an official government flag now, right?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It was a public park! Not a government building!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
reply to post by FlyersFan

It was a public park! Not a government building!

Public doesn't mean free range

example

www.cityofboston.gov...

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I go away on vacation and come back to see that I have missed quite a few goings on here, and to be honest I am astounded that so many would support such a thing.

The issue as I see it has nothing to do with governmental support or lack thereof of a certain faction of the populace. No one in this case is promoting the permanent installation of a rainbow, or any other flag for that matter, at a government building. This is an annual event just like many others that take place at parks throughout the US. Are we really willing to say that because this one flag is so offensive we should no longer be able to fly any flag denoting an event at a public park. Should we also include flags at summer carnivals and banners for day camps and birthday parties, or does this logic only apply to this one flag in this one situation.

Penny

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Glass

I wonder how you would feel if our situations were reversed.

All of this posturing is exactly what gets people riled up. I'm not passing judgement on gays. I could care less what you or anybody else does in your bedroom. I don't even care about a gay couple holding hands down the street or having a date at a restaurant. Whatever! But when you have obnoxious parades and flags flying in my face its over the top. Nobody rubs their heterosexuality in your face!!! Don't you get it?? You're not trying to be part of society at that point; that's being "in your face" and intentionally provocative.

You still fail to see the point of pride. Sure, you say you don't have a problem with gays. Whatever. But there are still a lot of people who do.

Like this guy:

Originally posted by WilliamOckham
I'm perfectly okay with banning anything gay. Serious, too. It makes communities look soft, weak and effeminate. Behind closed doors I'm all for people living out their fetishes but, I don't want my country represented in any way by the gays. To me, they're an embarrassment. And yes, I served my country as well.

Europe has always been on the fruity side so, I don't expect them to understand but, here in the USA, we look down on men who do not act like men.
edit on 9-7-2013 by WilliamOckham because: (no reason given)

By the way, heterosexuality is being shoved in everyone's face. Its in 99% of the culture. We are mostly numb to it.

The point of gay pride is not to be "obnoxious" and "in your face", though it seems to turn out that way... regardless, it is about freedom of expression, being proud of who we are, showing the haters that we're not going to let them get us down, and making a statement that we will not allow ourselves to be suppressed.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mykingdomforthetruth

1. Homosexuality is not the same as pedophilia.

2. You sure do like to think about what we do in private, don't you?

3. Try telling that last bit to an actual lesbian and keep your balls intact.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Well since the post i was replying to was removed, I'll edit this for a more cohesive conversation amongst the topic

i think the problem with this is people are quick to ask the Government to ban things they don't believe in, or want to accept, and whilst i will defends anyone rights for personal belief it doesn't mean that can dictate laws and control others life

edit on 9-7-2013 by Darth_Prime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by KingIcarus
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Why does it matter if a minority group decides to fly a flag for their 'cause'?

Surely as long as every group (within legality, of course) are free to fly their own flag too if they wish, it doesn't matter a jot.

It is only a flag, at the end of the day.

Flying a flag has more symbolism than just a piece of colored cloth attached to a rope. They've started riots when nationals of one country have raised their flag on the grounds of another country. You've only got to fly a Scottish Saltaire in England or the British or EU flag in Scotland to start off the critics.

Tradition was that you could temporarily fly another flag on government or private property so long as the national or regional flag was flying at a higher height that the other flag.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
the thought pólice deducted 1000 points off me
guess i better be ok with the whole issue from now on or i might get banned aswell

link   
reply to post by Glass

By the way, heterosexuality is being shoved in everyone's face. Its in 99% of the culture. We are mostly numb to it. The point of gay pride is not to be "obnoxious" and "in your face", though it seems to turn out that way...

The majority of society is heterosexual, how is that shoving it in your face when we are just being us? Name one exclusively heterosexual major event.

People have been picked on from all walks of life, myself included. You can rise above that and be the bigger person. If people want acceptance isn't it best to lead by example?

link   
reply to post by SuicideBankers

Dear SuicideBankers,

I think we get along for two reasons. As well as we can, we appreciate the supreme importance of the individual, and we try to serve Aristotle's master, Reason, in searching for Truth.

I actually did have a point in listing the things that Chicago will not let you do in public parks without their specific permission.

Possibly the two most divisive social issues in the last forty years have been Abortion and Gay Marriage. I suppose you noticed how, in each case, one side claimed a "right." A "right" to an abortion, and a "right to marry anyone we choose."

I see that happening here as well. "What about our rights under the First Amendment?" "What about our right to freedom of expression?" They're trying to take away our rights!" and so on. I'm just hoping to discourage people from taking these erroneous positions. I tried to do that by showing it is well within the perogative of the state (or city) to control or ban all sorts of activities and objects in parks. That has not been succesfully challenged, and it has been going on for a long time.

People can shout "We demand our rights!" But, in this particular case, they're demanding something which doesn't exist.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Can't that guy think of anything more important to do, rather than introduce moronic bills like this?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

I know I'm off-topic, but I'd rather have him introducing "moronic bills like this," than banning 17 ounce soft drinks, magazines holding more than seven rounds, Obamacare, or any of dozens of other bills I find truly moronic.

I have no trouble with legislators nibbling around the edges like this and leaving the big problems to the people.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join