It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana Republican Introduces Bill To Ban LGBT Rainbow Flag From Public Buildings

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

In celebration of National Pride Month and the demise of the Defense of Marriage Act last month, members of the LGBT community in Lafayette, Louisiana gathered in Girard Park for the annual Pride in the Park celebration. Local paper The Daily Advertiser was there to cover the event, and ran a photo in the next day’s paper of participants hoisting the rainbow flag that has come to represent the LGBT community.
Ray Green, a veteran of the Korean War, saw the photograph and brought it to the attention of Andy Noquin, a City-Parish councilman, who is now drafting legislation that would outlaw the flying of the rainbow flag — and any other non-government flag — in any public venue.
Green, who served in the Korean War, told the Daily Advertiser that he found the flag offensive:
“I did not go overseas and fight for our country so that we could come back and be subject to something like that,” Green said Friday. “Several of us (veterans) feel that the flying of this flag is a poke in the eye of a way of life.”

S ource
edit on 8-7-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
And you wonder why people so open about their support to LGBT?

This is just stupid. Leave it alone, and it won't bother you!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This man is ridiculous. I find it very ironic that he uses the rhetoric of "I didn't go fight for our freedoms to... (insert nonsense here)"

First of all, the Korean war had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with "fighting for our country".

Second of all, if someone was truly "fighting for freedom", why are they now trying to restrict freedoms?

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

“I did not go overseas and fight for our country so that we could come back and be subject to something like that,” Green said Friday. “Several of us (veterans) feel that the flying of this flag is a poke in the eye of a way of life.”

YEAH!!! He didn't go fight for freedoms so that he could come back and see people... using.. those.. freedoms..

Wait a minute..
edit on 8-7-2013 by MichaelPMaccabee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I agree with is ridiculous as in people being so self absorbed with their sexuality they just love to make it other peoples business.

Who bloody cares?

Does the rainbow flag need to fly at public buildings?

No.

Why should there one be is their a ' I'm Straight and I proud flag currently flying'.

Blah.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

Rainbow or any non-governmental flag. This isn't discriminatory if that's really the case.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
I agree with is ridiculous as in people being so self absorbed with their sexuality they just love to make it other peoples business.

Who bloody cares?

No.

Why should there one be is their a ' I'm Straight and I proud flag currently flying'.

Blah.

This is actually the most painful read I have seen to date... I literally have no idea what any of these 'sentences' are supposed to be saying.

By the way, the rainbow flag is a rainbow because it has all the colours. It IS an "I'm straight and proud" flag. The falg doesn't just represent gay people, it represents everyone of all colours and all denominations -- united.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Click on the user name and view posts. That will help you in someway.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

That I only have one star to give your post..

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

So we're uptight about erecting a Christian or atheist monument, but a LGBT flag is perfectly acceptable? It's the double standard that irritates me.

link   
I don't agree with the veterans reasonings behind it however I agree that any nongovernmental flag shouldn't be hanging on public flag poles. Think about in reverse, if it were a KKK flag or anti-gay flag. Government isn't supposed to represent any group over another. This has nothing to do with gay rights, even though the sentiment behind the complaint is anti-gay.

link   
Fought for the freedom to restrict freedom, huh? Interesting...

link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Ah, I see. Poster boy for Tea Party rhetoric.

He can has starz pl0x?

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by luciddream

So we're uptight about erecting a Christian or atheist monument, but a LGBT flag is perfectly acceptable? It's the double standard that irritates me.

Do gay people have a history of tyrannical control over government bodies or is that religion?

Is there a law about the separation of gay and state or is that religion?

When will they make a law about separation of head and rear-end.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Who bloody cares?

No.

Blah.

Agreed on your points. If we must start flying flags for every 4-5% minority segment of the US population? They better buy more flag poles. They'll need a small forest of them. Then again, only one minority segment has freely chosen to make an "in your face and in your business" war against anyone in society who doesn't openly embrace them with enthusiasm.

This guy was an idiot for being "a rebel" at a time when that's politically suicidal....but the issue he addresses shouldn't BE an issue. Like Neo says.... Why a flag for THIS super-minority? Why not for a dozen others too? Equal treatment only for SOME...right? :shk:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

By the way, the rainbow flag is a rainbow because it has all the colours. It IS an "I'm straight and proud" flag. The falg doesn't just represent gay people, it represents everyone of all colours and all denominations -- united.

I thought that was the UN's flag?

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Why does it matter if a minority group decides to fly a flag for their 'cause'?

Surely as long as every group (within legality, of course) are free to fly their own flag too if they wish, it doesn't matter a jot.

It is only a flag, at the end of the day.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
This political correct bull has to stop. Group A wants something, gets it, group b-c wants it, doesn't get it, fights for years, gets it. Group A is mad they aren't a special snowflake anymore, fight over something else.

Equal rights means just that, equal. Doesn't mean special rights or treatments. Government buildings, or those used for state/local/federal government should be free of any adornments supporting any group, or religion. Fly the american and state flag, leave the rest for private/independent people to do.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Do gay people have a history of tyrannical control over government bodies or is that religion?

Is there a law about the separation of gay and state or is that religion?

When will they make a law about separation of head and rear-end.

The point is endorsement, or the appearance of supporting a particular group or ideal. A government facility is allowed to endorse gay marriage but can't endorse their religion? There seems to be a lot of cherry picking going on here. If a cross cannot be displayed on government ground, neither should any icon representing any other group other than any involved in the management and sponsorship of said facility.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Why a flag for THIS super-minority? Why not for a dozen others too? Equal treatment only for SOME...right? :shk:

Um. Because it was Gay Pride week.

The anniversary of the Stonewall Inn riots that led to gays not being thrown in prison for what they do in their bedrooms.

If you want to erect Native American icons during Powwow you can go right ahead.

If you want to put up a poppy on Memorial Day go right ahead.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join