It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret TPP Deal Would Void Democracy

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Governments interfere with your life and you don't like it. Governments interfere with corporations and you sing them praises. Government interference in corporations is just as harmful to you as when governments interfere in your own private lives. Governments do not suddenly switch from doing bad when they interfere against you to doing good when they interfere with corporations. You say corporations are evil and want to exploit people. Well, in the same light government sees you AND corporations as exploitable. When they interfere with corporations NOT for bona fide "we're doing good for everyone" reasons, but strictly for political reasons, then governments need to be held accountable.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch. Justice is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Democracy is nothing but mob rule of the masses, half of which have an IQ lower than average. It's highly overrated and you are seeing the results of it right now.

This is a GOOD move.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I am almost ashamed to say that I have finally encountered something so profoundly evil and contrary to every single facet of human nature that I am not only left speechless... I am left utterly demoralized.

This measure is proof that we've come full circle and are, again, in the place we were in before the Black Death... Before the Magna Carta. We now live in a Feudal world where CEO's have replaced Lords, Baron, and Dukes - and where we all are now nothing more than chattel peasants.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

This is no surprise to me! The people have sold their souls to the evil hierarchy known as corporate America and now the bill has come and we are all crying about the price! We knew we were putting people out of work when
we bought foreign goods and yet we still continued to do it! We continued to vote for the aligned left and right
even though they have the same agenda! We continually make the same mistakes but don't want to take
responsibility to change things! We expect someone else to fix the world whether it be a politician, ET or God but
I fear that will never happen! Now we have no one left to blame but our reflections looking back at ignorant eyes!

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Well, well...no wonder I've never heard about this Partnership......

None of the negotiations nor documents have been made public. Yet 600 corporate lobbyists have been named official ‘advisors,’ giving them access to both documents and negotiators. Some of the companies involved are Walmart, Cargill, and Chevron.

According to Citizens Trade Campaign, these corporate interests are seeking new access to cheap labor (Vietnamese workers are paid one-third that of Chinese workers), the ability to skirt environmental laws, longer drug patents (delaying the production of low-cost generic drugs), financial de-regulation (preventing regulations that could stave off ‘too big to fail’ bailouts), caps on food safety protections (ie – limit liability for pesticides and genetically modified foods), concentration and hence control of global food supplies (making ‘buy local’ initiatives harder), and tax advantages.

blog.mysanantonio.com...

more here
Unusual features in leaked TPP proposals

From what I've read this will be coming to a conclusion soon.....I saw a date of Sept. 25th.....This TPP is not good for people and other living things.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

SUPER TREASONOUS . . . as expected from such heartless bustards.

May they fall in the pit they have dug for the rest of us . . . and that speedily.

How can folks still be in the dark and asleep in the face of such hideousness?

Mind boggling.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Was going to do a thread but the ole search function brought me here. I just ran across this for the first time and was rattled by it's scope and lack of reporting. I will post some additional info on the issue.

It is the Trans Pacific Partnership trade pact, only the TPP isn’t just a trade agreement. It slays safety regulations and labor protections, curtails communication freedoms, and re-writes domestic laws of the participating countries. It’s been called a mass assault on democracy and the biggest, most sinister corporate power grab yet.

Yet most of us are unaware of this issue.

Just this month (Sept.), the President pressured Congress to grant him extra-constitutional authority, known as “Fast Track,” to complete the TPP without congressional scrutiny.

“Fast Track” would have Congress voting up or down on the massive document without any power to discuss or amend any of it. This is an arcane procedure devised by Richard Nixon, according to Public Citizen’s Lori Wallach, “but that was when trade negotiations covered only real trade stuff.”

So I guess he granted this with success? Nixonesque eh? What could be wrong with that? How can conger people sign this without reading it? Are they restricted from reading it?

ANYTHING THAT INTERFERES WITH PROFITS WILL BE FORBIDDEN

TPP will vaporize any law that interferes with making money. You might want to label the country of origin of a food item, for instance. Some Canadian beef got mad cow? No matter. They won’t label it Canadian. That would cut into the exporter’s profits. GMO? That would be discrimination. You prefer not to have your medicine from a Chinese factory. You won’t be able to know. Food and medicine that would formerly be blocked for not meeting our standards will have a red carpet.

Obama originally wanted to exempt tobacco regulations. Keep the warning labels. That has mostly gone by the wayside. Nations can now argue about tobacco regulations that hamper sales.

Doctors Without Borders has heard of TPP. Its members are doing the best they can to protest the plan. It promises to keep patents on medicines longer, which would make it harder to provide affordable drugs for impoverished countries and peoples

How can this pass?!?! Man Chomosky's "profit before people" just rose to another level, and this definition of protecting profits will be spread so far and thin it will blind common sense and safety.

Here’s the analysis of Global Trade Watch:

“Under this proposal, Internet Service Providers could be required to “police” user activity (i.e.police YOU), take down Internet content, and cut people off from Internet access for common user-generated content. Violations could be as simple as the creation of a YouTube video with clips from other videos, even if for personal or educational purposes. Mandatory fines could be imposed for individuals’ noncommercial copies of copyrighted material. So downloading some music could be treated the same as large scale for profit copyright violations. Innovation would be stifled as the creation and sharing of user generated content would face new barriers and as monopoly copyrights would be extended. The TPP proposes to impose copyright protections for a minimum of 20 years for corporate-created content. Breaking digital locks for legit purposes, such as using Linux, could subject users to mandatory fines. Blind and deaf people also would be harmed by the overreach, as digital locks can block access to audio supported content and closed captioning.”

Good grief! Time to build some new prisons I guess, of the private type.

Grayson said,

“I can’t tell you what’s in the agreement because the U.S. Trade Representative calls it classified. But I can tell you two things about it:

1) There is no national security purpose in keeping this text secret.

2) This agreement hands the sovereignty of our country over to corporate interests.

3) What they can’t afford to tell the American public is that [the rest of this sentence is classified].

I will be fighting this agreement with everything I’ve got. And I know you’ll be there every step of the way. For now, I’ve set up an e-mail address where you can ask me questions on this topic or other topics: [email protected]

Wonder why he is the only outspoken official on this? Anyone care to email him, and/or invite him to the boards for a Q/A session?
disinfo.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Good thread Tenth...

These are really important happenings, and its important that people know that its not only occurring, but that things like this are essentially "fast tracked."

Its not necessarily new, as this corporatist grab has been ongoing for a while now. But, it is multi-faceted and thats the scary part. The "worst" tidbits are just small text lines in massive documents, spread out over multiple agendas. Everything from this TPP to Agenda 21 are all working towards a very specific end-game.

The thing I dont understand is that these people could be living an even more extravagant life, with more quality of life, greater technology, greater medicine and service industries, etc. if they realized that putting greed before need actually puts a hard cap on how much the greedy can actually obtain.

These people are clever, and for them not to see this leads me to believe there is something else at play. What that is, I am not sure..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join