It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Radio- On Air Debates! Sign up Now!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Just a quick bump to get this on the recent topics list.

Cant do that on the forums.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I'm in!

But just thinking about being 'on air' - recorded, brings butterflies to the stomach. Sounds fun, and challenging.

Cirque

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Its no different than sitting around talking with friends about current events and such.

I'm thinking the panel idea 2vs2 may be a good idea.

This way people will be able to work together on the debates.

That should make it "easier" on everyone.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
So it looks as though we have enough to do a debate!

2vs2

Current participants:

Beezer
adjensen
Seabag
NoRegretsever
CirqueDeTruth

I will leave it up to all of you to decide on a topic, or topicS if you like. No one said this has to be limited to one topic! And to form the teams. Sorry, one of you may need to sit the first one out unless more people join.

I will begin to make a list of "rules" and format of the debate. Your input is requested so that we make this as fair and fun as possible.

edit on 9-7-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
We need Team Captains (I watch too much "Master Chef"
)

Who among our mighty few have won their last debates?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I think that I should offer to sit the first debate out, as I'm currently engaged in debate with Druid in the forum.

Cirque

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Enthusiasm is often the bane of good ideas. I'll stand by silent till more details blossom.

To quote seabag:

That's why the debate forum is full of the same dozen people debating each other on different issues over and over again.

To me that hit home.

We are a very small group, those who wish to debate topics, yet it struck a chord to hear we are a small group, out of the hundreds of regular members that are online everyday.

I'm probably the worst for debating over and over, different topics, suspended in the same illusion that I am doing something meaningful. It used to be fun. There used to be interest in this forum.

The same dozen people does NOT a forum make. I can't see 12 people making a difference. Sorry.

(I'm reading. That's all I can do ATM.)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

The same dozen people does NOT a forum make. I can't see 12 people making a difference. Sorry.

Aw, Druid, I know from where you speak, but I love ya all the same.

Look at the example of Christ -- from 12 Apostles, we now see 2.18 billion Christians, so obviously a small influence, if sufficiently important, can make a huge difference, over time.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Ok I'll be a guinea pig.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I see our small groups as more of the McLaughlin Group of ATS.

That being said, I feel that we do contribute and that we do make a difference.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Hmmmm....this could be interesting!

I'll watch how this proceeds and maybe throw myself into the mix.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
*Bump*

For anyone else interested.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Thanks for the bump Beezer!

It looks as though we have a few more interested people that showed up for the party. Sweet!

I have not been able to post anything from work today, so I will get a rough rules/format post together soon.

Does anyone have any topic ideas?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Ok, here's how I envision this:

Each show will be 1 hour long. 2 debates per show.
Each debate can either be 1v1 or 2v2.
Each team will have an opening statement followed by 2 more alternating responses for each team. So a total of 3 segments per team...just like a regular debate.
Each opening and response will be no more than 4 mins each...for a total of 12 mins for each team/person per debate.
Thats 24 mins per debate, 48 mins of debate per show. This will allow time for the show intro, introduction of the show host and debaters, a halftime musical break and the outro. Plus, I believe this will leave us a little time to BS at the end to talk about the debates.

You will be allowed to use quotes from sources in your arguments but they CANNOT take up more than half (2 mins) of that particular segment. Debaters will be able to post links to sources and other information in the show thread for the listeners to partake.

In team debates, team members may use instant messaging, email, cellular phone, psychic abilities or CIA brain wave readers to communicate and formulate battle plans during the debate.

When a person/team is presenting their case, the other team will not be allowed to interrupt them in any way.

Judging will be done by the listeners! I believe we should come up with a simple worksheet for the listeners to use as they listen to the debate that has a point system for various factors/criteria.

Highest overall score wins the debate and we will create an ATS Radio Debate thread to showcase the winners.

Tactics, style or anything of that nature is completely up to the individual/team. But we must remember to follow T&C's so that we don't have any issues.

These are just my ideas. Anyone and everyone...please add your input and lets discuss any additions or changes that may need to be made.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
Enthusiasm is often the bane of good ideas. I'll stand by silent till more details blossom.

To quote seabag:

That's why the debate forum is full of the same dozen people debating each other on different issues over and over again.

To me that hit home.

We are a very small group, those who wish to debate topics, yet it struck a chord to hear we are a small group, out of the hundreds of regular members that are online everyday.

I'm probably the worst for debating over and over, different topics, suspended in the same illusion that I am doing something meaningful. It used to be fun. There used to be interest in this forum.

Man, I didn’t mean to be a buzz-kill for anyone. That was just my observation of the debate forum and the reason I lost interest. I got in right when it was revived (probably not the first time it was revived) and I enjoyed debating you and others. It was very exciting initially because I didn’t know anyone in the group. After a short time it became apparent that after a few debates I would be debating the same people again; that’s not very appealing to me…….

I’ve always viewed the debate forum like a ‘MMA Cage’ or ‘boxing ring’. It’s a great place to go after you challenge people from the boards that you butt heads with often and scrap it out one on one. I think Beezer pulled that off once. Unfortunately, all I’ve found in the debate forum are a bunch of good people whom I respect and I’m not inclined to fight them! I want to fight (debate/argue with) people I don’t like!

Sounds like I have some personal problems to work out!!

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I wanted to ask how this will work with one on one debates. If there are teams, how would members be sure not to be repetitive, or make sure that they fully agree on the subject.

That sounded weird so here is an example (members names used for example only).

Lets say its Sheepslayer and I against Adjensen and Seabag. Sheepslayer and I are taking turns in the debate, and one of us happens to disagree on just one particular subject, and neither of us knew until we were on air.

How can something like this be avoided?

Peace, NRE.
edit on 10-7-2013 by NoRegretsEver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I was hoping on a roundtable with us having one main statement and one rebuttal. Going from topic to topic, so we could get several viewpoints within a given segment.

Many of us are quite well known for HAVING opinions on many subjects.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Excellent question!

Since debate topics will be known before hand, you and your partner can take the time to research, script-out certain key points you want to make or rebuttals for obvious responses your opponent may use, and coordinate your strategy with your partner.

It is best you and your partner are on the same page and can quickly counter an unexpected response from the other team.

How you do it is up to you, but its not as if you are going into the debate without knowing what the topic will be. So you have time to prepare.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

By all means. If you have an idea for the format, throw it out there. With your idea, would there be winners/losers, a point system or anything like that?

How would you do it Beezer?

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
My personal opinion is that we do a "talk show" type theme, where a few subjects can be discussed, and if it goes longer then it forms a segment.

Though our opinions vary, we all have our own way of saying/expressing things, so I think its safe to say that teams are possibly unnecessary.

If we get 4 members, and we all agree (which is unlikely LOL) then we move on and if a hot topic is brought up then BINGO, the jackpot, but the show will never be stagnant, plus if the first half hour is a variety of subjects either 2 or 4 can go into the next half hour to discuss something that they all didnt agree to, or would like more time to discuss.

Example.
If there are 4 members, with 4 subjects. 2 subjects went quickly with no real discussion, but 1 or 2 did, then either all 4 can stay and during the break can pick which one they want for the next half hour, or 2 can opt out, and 2 do a one on one.

Again just my opinion.

Peace, NRE.

BTW, I do not think that we need to rehearse, or read, copy/paste. For those of us that are even daring to do this (as it terrifies me but its exciting), I think that listeners would prefer to have our honest opinions/gut feelings/opinions share.
edit on 10-7-2013 by NoRegretsEver because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join