It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do if you won the lottery???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
I'd buy my way into being an ATS Moderator.

Seriously though, i would probably buy some island in the Pacific and move out there with my family. Would be awesome!

Why would you want to punish yourself
Being a moderator is a punishment, an imprisonment.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

Originally posted by daaskapital
I'd buy my way into being an ATS Moderator.

Seriously though, i would probably buy some island in the Pacific and move out there with my family. Would be awesome!

Why would you want to punish yourself
Being a moderator is a punishment, an imprisonment.

I presume that being a moderator would be a difficult undertaking; but knowing that you are positively aiding ATS would overcome that in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
If money was no object?

I'd go live on Mars.

And when I died, my entire fortune would go to space exploration/terraforming.

If I had billions instead of millions, I might buy a couple of remote-controlled jumbo jets and some steel-framed buildings, haul everything out to the desert and have the ultimate episode of Mythbusters.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Great question OP but it is unfortunate the the answers you have gotten reveals that all of them would be broke in 5 years or less. If people desire to remain in the lifestyle that their new found riches can provide they will have to change their fundamental way of thinking. That's why the 99% are broke and always will be even if they are given a great sum of money.

I'm not going to go into the things you need to do or know but as for myself, I'd leverage the assets. Once those assets are established and generating liquidity, then I can help others. Otherwise all I will have done is to have thrown the windfall into the loo and pulled the chain.

Remember, it is far better to teach a man to fish than to give him a fish. If you do the later all you have done is given him a meal and he is still be hungry tomorrow. If you do the former, you will have fed him for life and passed on knowledge that he can pass on to others. You will help far more people that way than passing out fish.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

1. pay debts
  2. seed savings accounts
  3. buy land with diverse landscaping
  4. build a house with the architecture that could withstand natural disasters - perhaps monolithic dome
  5. use solar, wind, geothermal power generation
  6. dig a well for water
  7. create a garden complete with fish - aquaculture
  8. stock livestock - goats, rabbits, chickens, etc
  9. live a very quiet life off grid, self sufficient, free

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

I would build a huge, self-sufficient family compound in the middle of nowhere- completely stocked with anything and everything- then I would finish my bucket list.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I would also purchase a thousand wooden rolling pins and offer them to Littled16

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Your offering would be gladly accepted. You and Mrs. R will be welcomed to the family compound. Mrs. R can be our "lawkeeper" and be armed with wooden rolling pins in holsters!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by Rodinus

Your offering would be gladly accepted. You and Mrs. R will be welcomed to the family compound. Mrs. R can be our "lawkeeper" and be armed with wooden rolling pins in holsters!

Gladly accepted,

I will wear my 2 million dollar motorcycle helmet then!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
If it was big enough, because size determines what can be done. Say 6-10 million. I would buy land/homes, for about 15 or more people, close family and friends and my ex's, basically. Not sure if it would be cheap houses, fixed up, that I've seen lots of now when we were looking for our house, we did just buy one, a miracle house so to speak but in good shape for the money. Or raw land and strawbale houses or cob, or even kits.

One thing I would do is keep asking for a wave on the land restrictions, until I got one, on numerous large properties, for I would form a Land Trust, that would not take it out of the farming land freeze, but would allow for eco farm, many homes on say 50 acres or more, with 2/3rds still in a perpetual farm, and thus belonging to future generations in effect.

So this would eliminate some of the houses I'd buy because I'd have my family and a few friends together, and yet with private zoning, a good 1/4 acre each and then joint orchards, aquaponics greenhouses, and some workshops for buisnesses and a commercial kitchen.

With the land already secured, then its safe to to the other step, find a good modern mobile home in a park on a bus route to the 4 year university college, for kids and grandkids to go. Just keep it in repair so it wouldnt be tossed from the park and if the park folds down the road, it was good secured rent, and another would be found.

I would start businesses, ethical ones, for everyone, and also get local groups going. I would want the food from the farm to make a certain profit, ie for farm tax purposes, but the rest would be donated, and we'd have people on the list to deliver fresh produce weekly too.

Local council group, with radio and newspaper, waking the whole province up, and finding positive solutions to everything and dealing with corruption.

I would work tirelessly to get land and affordable housing to all people and have everyone understand that they are sovereign beings with infinite rights and this is slavery.

And we'd also group up and establish a sister village, eco farm and businesses in a developing country or third world, and grow that as well in partnership.
edit on 8-7-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus

Gladly accepted,

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Safety first Rodinus, but you ought to consider shin guards and knee pads as well......
rolling pins aren't just for heads anymore!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I have thought about that and so has my sister. I was surprised to hear her say exactly the same thing I would.

1. Build a cul de sac of houses for the family where each child lives. (for me that would be in 2 towns)
Family is #1 for me.

2. Give away 10% to charity

3. Form a foundation

4. Take family on vacation, cruise around the world with my hubby of many many years

5. You'd never see me on ATS again, I would be too busy having fun, sorry.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Gladly accepted,

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Safety first Rodinus, but you ought to consider shin guards and knee pads as well......
rolling pins aren't just for heads anymore!

Oh my... i forgot, you have experience in that domaine... in that case, would it be allright if i brought along my 8 slobbering snarling Granny eating pedigree Pitbull terriers that i purchased for 50,000 dollars each...J (jeez, no more cash left!?)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'd also buy a large tract of land and get the liscence to grow commercial hemp for use in our businesses, ie. building materials for guitars, looms, and spinning wheels, telescopes and anything really. Cottages.

In addition, would start workshop for energy devices, build small sheds where friction heaters that blast out steam rapidly would be placed with many shelves of sterling engines turning that heat into electricity, each one at about 300 watts, so the shed would be designed to turn out many KW of power, and have many of these sheds.

AND SELL THE KITS AND DEVICES. Even just put the blueprints out and get local groups going that would build for their neighbors.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Great question OP but it is unfortunate the the answers you have gotten reveals that all of them would be broke in 5 years or less

Depends on the jackpot. Right now, our Powerball is at 80 million. So, you figure after taxes and early payout, etc., you'll get about 40 million or so. Even though getting houses for my mom and inlaw, we'll still OWN those two houses. They are just living in them. The seed money to friends also assumes I'll be investing some more into their business ventures, so possible return there.

The homes I'm looking to get for the moms aren't going to be mansions, just modest. We're still staying in the same place, and just making it better.

Let's say you had 10 million sitting in interest bearing accounts, at about 6% interest. That's $600,000 a year just for leaving it sit there. I'm pretty sure I'd be pretty darn OK with that annual income, even after buying the toys, etc.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Oh my... i forgot, you have experience in that domaine... in that case, would it be allright if i brought along my 8 slobbering snarling Granny eating pedigree Pitbull terriers that i purchased for 50,000 dollars each...J (jeez, no more cash left!?)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

So long as you are aware that Granny already owns pitbulls who are extremely protective of her!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
After I receive the winnings, pay the taxes, and give my current house-mate some money to fix this house, I would find a country that's peaceful and progressive- (maybe Iceland? How is South Ireland!) and take my money there.

Once there, buy some acreage (as much as I could afford) and put enough money away to take care of its taxes for the rest of my life.

If there were several millions, I'd start an animal rescue- focusing on dogs that are discriminated against for how they look (pitbulls etc).

Edited to add: I'm joining the club that already owns pitbabies!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

*hunts around in his veterinary bag for his dartgun and pentobarbitol*

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
i'd become a philanthropist until all the money was gone and i'm serious.. i don't need a attention or a voice, fame, an overkill of inanimate objects, cars, jewelry.. etc..

right now, for the moment my family has a roof over their heads and i am able to feed them so i can't ask for anything more.. however.. maybe i'd set aside a few bucks to pay off my daughters college bills haha

i realize this is a big "what if" scenario but it's honestly what i would do and i think it would make me feel more awesome than anything i could buy for myself and that's what i'd be looking for so i guess it is a little on the selfish side.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I'd start my own private school, free to the public. I'd staff it with the best teachers and pay them like doctors.

And I'd travel to Scotland, buy my husband a kilt, and have some real fun....

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join