It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Channel 6 Investigative Reporter On Michael Hastings. Police and Fire told NOT to comment

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Excellent new article summarizing the questions surrounding Michael Hastings disappearance (includes Channel 6 report findings):

Suspicions Growing Over Death of Journalist Probing NSA and CIA Abuses

a link to this article was also retweeted by SSG Joe Biggs - in case you don't know who that is (quoting from said article):

Less than 24 hours before his death, Hastings made it crystal clear that he was concerned about his own well-being. In an e-mail sent to numerous contacts and his employer, for example, Hastings noted: “The Feds are interviewing my ‘close friends and associates.’” He also said that if authorities show up, it “may be wise to immediately request legal counsel before any conversations or interviews about our news-gathering practices or related journalism issues.” The subject line read: “FBI investigation re: NSA.” Perhaps most alarming of all, the e-mail concluded with this: “Also: I’m onto a big story, and need to go off the rada[r] for a bit.”

While some friends and family members are reportedly too frightened to speak out, at least one recipient of the e-mail has gone public. Staff Sgt. Joseph Biggs, who became friends with Hastings while the journalist was embedded with his unit in Afghanistan in 2008, told KTLA that the “very panicked” message “alarmed me very much.” According to Biggs, “I just said it doesn’t seem like him. I don’t know, I just had this gut feeling and it just really bothered me.”

Biggs has spoken to Fox News and other major media outlets as well, saying Hastings was working on “the biggest story yet” about the CIA and that Hastings’ wife vowed to “take down whoever did this.” Apparently Hastings “drove like a grandma.” In an extended interview with radio host Alex Jones, Biggs also said he knew Hastings was receiving “death threats” from military brass. The retired staff sergeant added that he was extremely suspicious about his friend’s death and vowed to do everything in his power to find out what happened.

edit on 9-7-2013 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2013 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2013 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: adding EX-TEXT, formatting

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Dude, EVERYONE should contact Mercedes expressing a fear of their explosive vehicles... Put the fear in their hearts, er, wallets. If we can get them bumping heads with LAPD, maybe they will be coerced into releasing some more info, or someone who knows something will be prodded to speak out...

Just go on their website, find the CONTACT US section, and choose your method... email, phone, etc., or preferably both! We need to make sure we are safe with all these exploding cars all around us! Eĺ ven if you don't own one, they are all over the place... You could be driving to work one day, and suddenly one of these bombs on wheels could pull up alongside you in traffic...and KA-BOOM!!!! You're a goner! How can we even be sure that a collision is needed to detonate the fuel tank? Hey, we are consumers...we are fickle...

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Glad to see this story hasn't been forgotten.

Not sure this video may have been posted on a previous thread but seeing as it is not in this one I thought I post it to see what those of you here with more technical insight make of it.

Modern automobiles are pervasively computerized, and hence potentially vulnerable to attack. However, while previous research has shown that the internal networks within some modern cars are insecure, the associated threat model — requiring prior physical access — has justifiably been viewed as unrealistic. Thus, it remains an open question if automobiles can also be susceptible to remote compromise. Our work seeks to put this question to rest by systematically analyzing the external attack surface of a modern automobile. We discover that remote exploitation is feasible via a broad range of attack vectors (including mechanics tools, CD players, Bluetooth and cellular radio), and further, that wireless communications channels allow long distance vehicle control, location tracking, in-cabin audio exfiltration and theft.

www.youtube.com...

(for some strange reason I cannot embed vid, my apologies)

I also hope that Micheal's wife can find the courage to help inevestigate this "accident".

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Yes a VERY Illuminating Video it is! Thanx for the Post! I am in the mindset that this was defnately a Controlled 'Accident'...... Later, Syx.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

As much as internet is keeping us informed, at the same time we just sit reading do nothing.

Whole lot of us should be storming the whitehouse and Capitol Hill and Pentagon.

Say a million of souls

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I kinda wonder - can they push a remote button and blam there goes the vehicle - OJ sure wouldn't have had a long ride.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrantedBail
Well, I haven't forgotten about this story. This is a very interesting news snippet. The reporter tells us that the police and the fire department have been told not to comment.

Mercedes says they are waiting to assist the LA police department and that there cars don't blow up like that. The LAPD has also ruled out foul play. But refuse to release the police report on the accident. Hmmmmm. Very interesting.

Watch the short video. It is illuminating.

edit on 7-7-2013 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

I don't think the car malfunctioned, more like the system is malfunctioning! It's obviously was not an accident

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by JilianK

That is basically my thought and why there are conspiracy sites like ATS. They keep people talking, busy talking and busy arguing while all this goes on. Why its called the "web" you get tangled in it. The forum serves that purpose as does many other things that are out there. I don't agree with "storming the whitehouse" though, I think we live in a day and age where there are not many options left. People could pull their money out of certain things, or large massive strikes, but that isn't really going to happen unless things get really bad, and by then its to late.

edit on 9-7-2013 by talisman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

I hear where you're coming from and as much as I'd love to debate this point by point, I can't get past the overall point that starts it all. Why *MUST* this be murder and why *MUST* this be more than a single vehicle loss of control and fatal accident?

I can probably take an average weeks crime blotter for Los Angeles and find at least a fair number of cases that, if worked at a little, I could also show convincing "evidence" of ulterior motives, odd circumstances and outcomes to benefit someone, somewhere. Why? Why look so hard for the fantastic when the mundane is often the obvious cause?

Now on this one? It's not like it took time to develop theories. It was less than 4 hours from the moment he was declared dead that we had "accident scene investigators" all over the internet determining more from a couple photographs and their personal "expertise" than the REAL invetstigators AT THE SCENE could determine with all the time available. :shk:

That's not theorizing with logic, that's creating stories from whole B.S. because it sounds cool and it's fun for some people to do. (I call it mental illness anymore...but hey, it's a major growing trend here lately. EVERYONE is an expert and hell... Who needs stupid crap like college to learn physics and material sciences?? The internet can teach a teenager enough in a weekend of time in Momma's basement to know more than a cop or scientist.

Now, TAKE OUT WHAT THIS MAN DID FOR A LIVING....because that seems to be where all theories start, end and basically LIVE. He was a reporter. Indeed.. He wasn't immortal and death WAS GOING TO FIND HIM some day. We ALL die. 100% of us. Every last one. Death found him on a empty LA street at 4:30am. It's tragic but he'll be visiting you and me too someday.

If or when any EVIDENCE (as opposed to 100% personal opinion, guesswork and supposition) supports even a passing thought that this was murder and not a single vehicle accident? I'm there. There problem is, I've seen precisely ZERO evidence. none. All the evidence seems to be "he was a reporter! He MUST have been killed! No OTHER explanation CAN exist!" ...and so people run off to MAKE theories which fit that.

As I noted.....the games began less than 4 hours from the moment he died. The games are disgusting and obscene at times. So are those who play without equipment to make sense with.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by WanDash

I hear where you're coming from and as much as I'd love to debate this point by point, I can't get past the overall point that starts it all. Why *MUST* this be murder and why *MUST* this be more than a single vehicle loss of control and fatal accident?
Why look so hard for the fantastic when the mundane is often the obvious cause?

Thanks for the response.
It’s interesting that the government tries so hard to make conspiracy theorists into gullible buffoons, when it was the government that went out of its way to draft, pass & implement RICOA…
In your response, you have treated a specific incident with categorical &/or generic summaries.
You first alleged that I believed there to be an “Official Story”…when, what I actually did, was quote you regarding “the logical story”.
I asked you to spell-out that “logical story”, as…a satisfactory explanation for the “known events” leading up to (and including) the fiery conclusion has not found my eyes or ears, yet.
I have appreciated countless efforts you’ve put forth on the various threads through the years…and expected that you would not have claimed a “logical story” if you did not have one (in mind).
So – in response to your broad-brush answer/s…and the proposition that this would be a non-story (other than obituary notices and condolences) if not for the deceased’s occupation and relatively brief claim to fame a few years ago…I would suggest, again, that any “logical story” profferred, include (or – address) the following:
1. Previous days email to friends/acquaintances/associates regarding dropping out of sight for a while;
2. Alleged communication with the/a Wikileaks attorney a few hours before the crash;
3. Alleged driving habits – “drove like a grandma”
4. Timing – within hours of #s 1 and 2…driving like a maniac, endangering the lives of anyone-else that happened to be on the roads…through Hollywood
I see only a few scenarios that could account for all of these (not to mention the all-consuming fire, ejected engine, and no skid marks at the crash site), and am open to being enlightened to others (or – “the other”) if you do have a “logical story” to put forward.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3n19m470
Dude, EVERYONE should contact Mercedes expressing a fear of their explosive vehicles... Put the fear in their hearts, er, wallets. If we can get them bumping heads with LAPD, maybe they will be coerced into releasing some more info, or someone who knows something will be prodded to speak out...

Just go on their website, find the CONTACT US section, and choose your method... email, phone, etc., or preferably both! We need to make sure we are safe with all these exploding cars all around us! Eĺ ven if you don't own one, they are all over the place... You could be driving to work one day, and suddenly one of these bombs on wheels could pull up alongside you in traffic...and KA-BOOM!!!! You're a goner! How can we even be sure that a collision is needed to detonate the fuel tank? Hey, we are consumers...we are fickle...

Excellent point!
These Mercedes' should be banned from all public events (like Marathons, Parades, etc...) as well.
Otherwise innocent vehicle owners will become the suicide bombers of the future.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

1. Previous days email to friends/acquaintances/associates regarding dropping out of sight for a while;
2. Alleged communication with the/a Wikileaks attorney a few hours before the crash;
3. Alleged driving habits – “drove like a grandma”
4. Timing – within hours of #s 1 and 2…driving like a maniac, endangering the lives of anyone-else that happened to be on the roads…through Hollywood
I see only a few scenarios that could account for all of these (not to mention the all-consuming fire, ejected engine, and no skid marks at the crash site), and am open to being enlightened to others (or – “the other”) if you do have a “logical story” to put forward.

I looked back and you're right. You said Logical, not Official story. My bad. I'm waiting for those reports to at least see what the official story is. Basically, it's that simple for me. I don't have a badge and so, I have no access to the accident scene material that will answer a number of the questions being debated for a theory to be workable at all.

On your list there.. it's an interesting set of points, but without context and so, questionable for value that way? For example.

#1 How many times had he previously said he'd drop out of sight or outright done it in relation to a story or personal sense of pressure? How many of those times did nothing happen? He's been on major career damaging/ending stories before, and so was no stranger to the world of high stakes reporting. I'd imagine this wasn't his first dance for having said it ...just the first time it happened to coincide with an accident to follow.

#2 Same, in many ways, as #1. Also, if we was in touch with REAL sources and leaks that could have imparted information to him that the Government may not have known was out there for certain? Killing him was the absolute worst thing to have done. Dead men tell no tales, but dead men also expose no sources or methods.

They actually become martyrs to the cause and the absolute LAST thing someone like our Government wants to make a man like this.

#3 It would appear his driving habits are secondary to that night, as the speeds involved are clearly evident by the degree of damage and separation of the drive-train from the rest of the vehicle. Whatever his Grandma habits before? He had a fire in the furnace that morning for some reason. I still haven't heard definitively on Toxicology reports, either.

Something as simple and innocent as Ambien as been known to do things like this and after seemingly normal behavior earlier in an evening, before taking a sleep aid. No one is suggesting this WAS Ambien, but I'm pointing how many different possibilities exist outside a 'goon squad' looking to murder a reporter.

#4 This point is the best point and one I really would like to hear more about. Did someone PHYSICALLY intervene in his death or wreck? no.... I don't believe that's even physically supported by anything we see or what witness statements have worked out to the public thus far.

However.... That doesn't mean to say he didn't get a lecture by someone with a GS Rank that put him in a state of mind where this was the result. Panic, rage or just pure fear? Who knows...but obviously, his state of mind wasn't what it should have been....by the above, intoxication or perhaps even being sleepy.

When the reports for the actual investigation come out, if there is meat to sink our teeth into, I'll be there to belly up to the bar and have my bite at the Apple. I just don't see anything ripe to bite yet.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

...On your list there.. it's an interesting set of points, but without context and so, questionable for value that way? For example.

#1 How many times had he previously said he'd drop out of sight or outright done it in relation to a story or personal sense of pressure? How many of those times did nothing happen? He's been on major career damaging/ending stories before, and so was no stranger to the world of high stakes reporting. I'd imagine this wasn't his first dance for having said it ...just the first time it happened to coincide with an accident to follow.

Agreed - insufficient data. Nevertheless - we would have to go with the same answer to your presumptions.
Generally - you work with what you've got in such a scenario - and vet it out. If such information proves to be tainted or outright false...you no longer have to contend with that aspect.
Again, however - we're faced with two possibilities -- (a) He was deadly serious, when writing/sending the email, or (b) He was frivolous with warnings to friends and colleagues. If "(a)"...what was he doing driving through a business district of Hollywood in the early morning hours at break-neck speeds? If "(b)"...someone's going to speak up, sooner or later (and likely - with evidence), telling that he's done this before.

#2 Same, in many ways, as #1. Also, if we was in touch with REAL sources and leaks that could have imparted information to him that the Government may not have known was out there for certain? Killing him was the absolute worst thing to have done. Dead men tell no tales, but dead men also expose no sources or methods.

This presumes "government" as the conspiratorial bad guy. If he was killed, "government" might have been behind it...but that isn't the only viable suspect with motive and capacity.
You say "killing him was the...worst thing to have done". I would have agreed with you, years ago. But (imo) this government has shown a willingness to thumb its nose at any and all previously-accepted conventions of right & wrong...for longer than I care to admit.
I am more inclined to believe they'll do it right in front of the cameras - say "we didn't do it" right into the microphones - and label anyone who says "but we saw you!" as a Conspiracy Theorist, to the hysterical applause of the American-Dream-numbed crowd.

...#3 It would appear his driving habits are secondary to that night, as the speeds involved are clearly evident by the degree of damage and separation of the drive-train from the rest of the vehicle. Whatever his Grandma habits before? He had a fire in the furnace that morning for some reason. I still haven't heard definitively on Toxicology reports, either.

I don't think anyone has been made privy to the toxicology reports. If you have "any" source for even preliminary findings, I would like to know where to go look at them (not that I would). My uncle died suddenly and in dramatic fashion last year. So suddenly, and with the witness of his two sisters...and because of other circumstances, his children were EXTREMELY suspicious of foul play. The emergency room doctors were, as well. A toxicology report was ordered. It took 6 weeks for the results... (So - I am aware - Bad stuff happens - and sometimes, nobody-else is at fault.)

#4 This point is the best point and one I really would like to hear more about. Did someone PHYSICALLY intervene in his death or wreck? no.... I don't believe that's even physically supported by anything we see or what witness statements have worked out to the public thus far.

I don't see anything in the witness statements that even speak to this (or - that could speak to this)...but - that's just me.

Again - without a complete history on the man, we cannot address any particular point with absolution. We can only go with the information at hand, and see if the various pieces fit together.
Most arguments I've seen (on any side of this topic) account for various pieces...but in disjointed fashion. It's like saying - "Premeditated Murder"...and then trying to explain the act with "Crime of Passion". The two don't really work that well, together. It's either "planned" or "impulse"...

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Wrabbits you may wind up waiting a while to take that bite

As I said before, I highly doubt that the LAPD is going to release any official information that would implicate that he was being chased, or was running from goons..

Think about it, .... if a release was made that suggested foul play or He was being targeted this whole thing would blow wide open. That is to say that the LAPD even has the ability to release the truth.

Given the current climate of secrets being released and "damage to national security" We don't know if the investigation has been taken over by the Feds or if the LAPD has been issued a gag order under the guise of National Security.

In the end ...when and if a report comes out I expect it to say he was driving while intoxicated, traces of ambien and coc aine were found in his system, witnesses close to him say he was have a psychotic break. In his last days he abused puppies, pulled the wings off flies and had a brooding silent dark side.

After all the system couldn't and most likely wouldn't issue an official report that implicated even the slightest possibility of the FBI/NSA in the silencing or assassination of a reporter.....especially if he was holding some high level secrets.

ETA:

I am sure there are a bunch of investigative reporters who are locked and loaded and just waiting to jump on this when ( if ) info is released....after all he was one of their own,
edit on 9-7-2013 by miner49r because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by miner49r

Well, when it comes out, I'd expect the report to say exactly what really DID happen and how it actually did happen. I'm sure the Government can, has and does play games with smaller towns or even cities in the M.E.'s Office and Police Departments for politics. Going so far as to outright fabricate the results of a high profile traffic accident?

Well, generally speaking here, I know it's real easy to imagine with a TV line up of shows and movies showing how simply it is to make all that happen. Next thing ya know, white is black and the evidence even supports it.

In reality, every single cop who even walked across the scene would have to at least be a passive participant in saying nothing contrary when a bunk report comes out. Every staffer and med tech in the M.E.'s office who had anything to do with it, read over or even peripherally handled material related to this case ..would also have to be bought and paid for with absolute certainty.

Not a single person...NOT ONE...in at least 4 different agencies and/or companies involved here could break from the ranks to say a single word contrary.

Add the Tow truck driver, who generally sees an accident in more detail than 90% of the cops do, for obvious reasons and whatever witness reports exist. If the reports contradict in even a casual way, the witnesses need silenced or their stories willingly changed to match the "story" which had been fabricated.

I found this as one of the original stories to run and give context.

The Department of Coroner said an autopsy on Hastings has been performed, but the cause of death was listed as deferred pending further investigation, including toxicology and pathology reports.

"The question is 'Why? Why did he crash?'" said Ed Winter, assistant chief of investigation. "Was it something mechanical that the traffic division of the LAPD is going to be able to find? Did he have a medical condition that caused him to pass out? Did the accelerator stick? Was he under medication? Was there some other factor?"
Source: USA Today

When the reports come out...we'll see what happened here. Oh, and GOD HELP THEM if they fabricate so much as a speed record. This will almost certainly end up in a California Civil Court. Civil defense attorneys, especially in Southern California, are bull dogs for never giving up their bone and they fight like wildcats to win. Dirty dealing won't stay quiet in this one....and why I most believe it's likely not a factor at all.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by gorgi
They dont comment because its an on going investigation. Its always like this. Just because you dont get the answer you like doesnt make a strange conspiracy.

No the piles upon piles of evidence of foul play is what makes it a strange conspiracy.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall

Originally posted by gorgi
They dont comment because its an on going investigation. Its always like this. Just because you dont get the answer you like doesnt make a strange conspiracy.

No the piles upon piles of evidence of foul play is what makes it a strange conspiracy.

I believe the distinct LACK of any such evidence (For or against, to be fair) has been the running topic here for a couple pages now. If you have even a little of this evidence, it would go a long way to settling the debate point. No one else to make that claim can back it up. Can you?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

reply to post by miner49r

...In reality, every single cop who even walked across the scene would have to at least be a passive participant in saying nothing contrary when a bunk report comes out. Every staffer and med tech in the M.E.'s office who had anything to do with it, read over or even peripherally handled material related to this case ..would also have to be bought and paid for with absolute certainty.

In general, I agree with the points you made in this reply to miner49r... But -
If you consider that the first few "photos" of the scene...as distributed by the LA Times were photo-shopped...WITH officers in them -- and not one cry have I heard from law enforcement that - "UHHH - Excuse me, but - that's not where I was when examining the burned car"... Why? Is it immaterial? Why were they photo-shopped to begin with? I still don't get that one.
Past that - I don't think there would be much evidence of foul play at the scene...if "foul play" was afoot.
It has already been admitted (can't recall "who" the admitter was) that a cyber-attack could have resulted in precisely what happened...with little to no evidence left behind.
Whether that statement required a fire of the magnitude that erupted, or not, was not clear in the statement (from what I recall).

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I wouldn't necessarily go to the extremes you have outlined. It is not an all inclusive rank and file on board situation as you would seem to think.

The witnesses report what they seen - no real dispute or need to cover up there.

The traffic officers on scene recorded what they seen...a horrific accident - no real dispute or need to cover up there.

Fire Dept. recorded their time on scene, a fiery high speed accident - no real dispute or need to cover up there.

Tow truck driver seen what he seen - no real dispute or need to cover up there.

Med Techs in the M.E's office simply handled evidence and not qualified to make a final ruling - no real dispute or need to cover up there.

So the only two divisions that are left are the M.E. himself/herself, and the Detectives working the case.

The M.E. only establishes the cause of death and contributing factors if any (toxicology and pathology)

The Detectives I am sure are detailing the crash in full and looking for any vehicular malfunctions, operator error, ect.

Herein lies the crux.... will they be looking to find out WHY he was speeding so fast and if so will information be released as to such... I think not and if so it could easily be white washed in the interest of "National Security" or placed in a state of ongoing investigation.... indefinitely

ETA:

It has already been released that foul play has been ruled out. So how deeply and to what degree are they going to investigate the causes leading up to the accident. If foul play has been ruled out then there is no need to look beyond the crash it's self.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by libertytoall

Please elaborate on these piles and piles of evidence of foul play. I an truly curious.

What I have gathered is the there are 4 pieces of information driving the "Foul Play" conspiracy.

1 - email saying he is being investigated - and has to go hide
2 - email to Wikileaks lawyer
3 - high speed out of control driving
4 - car explodes on impact.

Is that the piles of evidence you speak of?

Is there other evidence?

Please elaborate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join