It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+76 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

The Instinctive Drowning Response—so named by Francesco A. Pia, Ph.D., is what people do to avoid actual or perceived suffocation in the water. And it does not look like most people expect. There is very little splashing, no waving, and no yelling or calls for help of any kind. To get an idea of just how quiet and undramatic from the surface drowning can be, consider this: It is the No. 2 cause of accidental death in children, ages 15 and under (just behind vehicle accidents)—of the approximately 750 children who will drown next year, about 375 of them will do so within 25 yards of a parent or other adult.

It is summertime, and with the heat comes swimming, so when I stumbled across this article I thought of you guys and you're kids. I grew up on and in the water, but I never realized that when people are drowning they don't thrash around and make a spectacle like you see in movies or on TV shows.

There really isn't much else to say, so I'll leave you with a link. Stay safe guys and gals.

How to spot a drowning victim

Edit to say please actually read the full article. Especially if you're a water hound or parent. These things seem so obvious, but it's not going to hurt to have a refresher. I consider ATS to be like family. Some of you drive me nuts, but I want the best for you and yours.
edit on 8-7-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Great thread.
I learned something new today that could save a life in the future I hope this thread reaches out to many eyes and minds.

Thank you OP for bringing ATS this timely and important thread.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I pulled a man out of a rock quarry many many years ago.
He had tried to swim all the way across, and ran out of gas.
The article you linked describes exactly how he looked, a bit before I decided to jump in.

Appear to be climbing an invisible ladder

His arms were moving really slow, but in the motion of reaching up, alternately.
He was so exhausted, he didn't fight back. I just dragged him to a mud bank. He was breathing, so no CPR was required. Though it was more than 30 minutes before he had enough energy to climb up the rest of the bank, he eventually did.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

Glad you learned something too! It terrifying to think I never realized what drowning looks like. I got some goosebumps when I read about the guy telling the parents to get out of the way.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Wow, I didn't even know any of this that's intense. But I'm wondering why that's our instinct in the water? It's not very helpful to survival in the least... Not vocalizing which means others cannot respond, the movements that do not help us stay above the water for long at all, and the short breaths... Why would we ever develop this? It's almost like we're accepting death willingly. :/

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Ive almost drowned. It was an instinct for me to try dig my way up to the surface of the water. I survived, bu not without an experience that changed me.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

I'm glad you got him!

I don't really know how to do a rescue, I'd have to wing it. I guess get them on their back and hold them out of the water while you go for shore. But considering I got that from TV and after reading this article, I suppose I have no idea.

I feel like you get hero status. When you risk your life to save another, you get a lot of points.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by SubTruth

Glad you learned something too! It terrifying to think I never realized what drowning looks like. I got some goosebumps when I read about the guy telling the parents to get out of the way.

Ya me too I have a ton of empathy and when I read stories like this it really touches me because it is so life and death. I hope many people read this story and you are awesome for posting the info.

And all the info I had never heard before........Thank you.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

Panic is a very powerful thing. The rational part of the brain can go out the window very quickly. If you don't know water and start sinking, you will try to claw and fight your way to air, even if it is the wrong action to take.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
When I was about 6 or 7 I tried to swim across the river to where my mom and dad were at. Because I could swim I think they figured I was ok or didn't know I was doing it. I got about half way and was so tired that I started to go under. I have rarely thought of this so its weird to remember it now (because of your post).

I remember trying to yell for my mom but I was so tired I couldn't. I also remember struggling as much as I could so I wonder if she saw that out of the corner of her eye which prompted her to look at me. I can still see it as it happened - she looked at me with a "good job keep going" and then I heard her ask if i needed help. Then she figured it out. It must have all been a matter of about 20 seconds but from the time she looked at me until she got to me felt like forever. I had my head tilted back and went under so I ended up gulping some water but she grabbed me before it was too late (obviously).

I never thought about it until now but your right - its a quiet thing because if the person had the strength to make a bunch of noise they would have the strength to swim. Just because a kid looks like they are doing ok I'd say if they can't respond with their voice they may be just really trying and not aware of how tired they are fast becoming. Or if at a standstill and treading water as I was - and can't respond.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Great post! S&F to you. I hope that everyone clicks and actually reads the full article. That is so scary that the parents had no idea, but I can see it easily happening. Be safe everyone.

Domo1 - It is posts like this that will make a wonderful difference in someone's life. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Don't forget to make sure they get medical help after you save them. I was certified to be a lifeguard and taking lessons, one thing blew me away...something most people do not ever think of.

Secondary drowning – Inhaled fluid can act as an irritant inside the lungs. Physiological responses to even small quantities include the extrusion of liquid into the lungs (pulmonary edema) over the following hours, but this reduces the ability to exchange air and can lead to a person "drowning in their own body fluid." Certain poisonous vapors or gases (as for example in chemical warfare), or vomit can have a similar effect. The reaction can take place up to 72 hours after a near drowning incident, and may lead to a serious condition or death.

Wikipedia

Secondary drowning kills people too.

Great thread! I'm glad more people have the opportunity to see this!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I didn't really know what to do either. Was up on a small cliff, so I was looking down at him. The water was muddy.
Took two running starts before I jumped in. I was afraid I was going to land on top of the guy.

Turns out he was drinking BTW. And so were his buddies that were still on the other side.
I really think the fact that he was completely exhausted, helped me control him.
And it wasn't very far to the bank!

I'm really glad you posted this article though. It explains the behavior of people, or more the LACK of action.
Because it really doesn't always look like anything dangerous is happening to the potential victim.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Thanks for your story.

I think even the best most attentive parents can lose a child to drowning or anything else really if they don't know what to look for.

I'm glad you're still around!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I pulled a man out of a rock quarry many many years ago.
He had tried to swim all the way across, and ran out of gas.
The article you linked describes exactly how he looked, a bit before I decided to jump in.

Appear to be climbing an invisible ladder

His arms were moving really slow, but in the motion of reaching up, alternately.
He was so exhausted, he didn't fight back. I just dragged him to a mud bank. He was breathing, so no CPR was required. Though it was more than 30 minutes before he had enough energy to climb up the rest of the bank, he eventually did.

That's exactly what I remember from my one experience pulling a resort guest out of my great aunt's pool, was the invisible ladder motion.I was only 10, the kid was about 7ish, and my grandmother was kind of mad at me for it. Said he could have easily drown me too, and she's right. If he had been any further over the slope into the deep end I probably would have. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but I'd take the second to make sure I have something that floats to hold on to myself first.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

You brought up a good point. Know your limits. If you are not a strong enough swimmer for the conditions it's better to seek help rather than have two people end up needing a rescue.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
S&F, OP.

Scary to think that I may not have recognized it had I even been watching.

I pulled my little brother from a pool when I was about 8 and he was 6, and I had completely forgotten the imagery of the situation until I read this, and then it came rushing back. I remember that he didn't appear to be drowning, he just looked like he was really concentrating on swimming.

Shared and thank you!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
GREAT THREAD!

I never knew this but i know and will add it to my knowledge and share with others.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
GREAT THREAD!

I never knew this but i know and will add it to my knowledge and share with others.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Here's my experience of Drowning...

Fishing my Local River, The Clyde, I just got out the Car and was looking over the Bridge. I notice 4 kids just under the parapet of the bridge rolling a large log/tree that had become jammed.
They manage to free the log and one Kid...Much older than the others..say around 10 and chubby, pushes the now floating Log complete with small, say 7 year old girl on it, out into the fast flowing Current,
End result, Log overturns and 10 and 7 year old are now in deep doo doo...

Seconds went by, the Girl and the boy were kinda facing each other as the Current pulled them down steam, the only screaming i heard was from one of the other kids still under the parapet..."That's My sister"...then i notice she and the other kid were kinda clawing at each other...anyway...the older kids was using the younger one trying to stay above the water and i could see the young girl quite clearly Under water, Mouth Open and "climbing the Ladder"

I asked a Guy who was standing next to me.."are they drowning"??..Looks like it, he replied..

I shouted to a bunch of Guys who were sitting on the riverbank, about 20 yards from the kids, to get in and help...they were all drinking....One guy jumped in, swam out and this is were i came in...
Alcohol induced David Hasselhoff reached the Kids only for them to start climbing on top of him and they pulled him under as well...still his drinking buddies sat and watched this happen...The Hoff then swam away leaving the kids behind.

I Jumped the fence, ran down toward the river and within seconds was out of my chest waders and into the water...Damn, it was cold...
The girl was easy...swim, grab, and basically lift her and throw her closer to the bank then ask for help..someone waded in and got her out....Now, time for Chubby, he had given up and was floating downstream on his back in the deepest part of the run, so i got my arm under and around his chin and told him to start Kicking as i did the old one armed swim back to the bank....

Got out the water, gave the kids a bollocking, then started on the Drunk grown men who sat on their butts and did nothing, one guy said, "but i cant swim"...nothing to stop him wading out a little though??

Anyway, i walked towards my car shaking like a leaf and in dire need of a smoke, only to realise i had no car keys, my car keys were in my hand when i went into the river and now i didn't have them...Anyway, i had someone bring me my spare set, but that was the end of my fishing for that weekend...

What surprised me the most was how many people stood by and did nothing...

ps...I'm not here to blow my own trumpet, i was a good strong swimmer back in my youth and had done the rescue/lifeguard thingy loads of times....just as well, as i seemed to be the only one. just goes to show...Learn to swim, Know the Dangers and maybe someday those lessons will help someone in need.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join