It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep Space explosions baffle scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
www.space.com...I saw this on Space.com.

The article says that there are some explosions known as FRB's or Fast Radio Bursts which happen all of the time, and scientists think that this is what has happened this time. I think it's more to the story than that but I'll let our ATS pro's decide. I do wonder why they need to announce this as "baffling" if this is something that happens all of the time? Anyway, here's the article.

www.space.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

yeah, I think that's the one that's 11 billion light years out there. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Amazing that we can pick that stuff up. But, who know what it really is.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
What a worthless article.

All this does is brilliantly display how immensely unimportant space is. Let's solve problems here on Earth before making phony claims using faulty equipment.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

But Space IS very important. Most of the technological developments we've enjoyed for the past 50 years are due to concepts developed for Space travel. The technology on the horizon for the next step into Space are immense: faster than light travel, 4-D printing, newer rigid materials for survival, nano doctors that live in and repair astronauts for longer stays in Space, power suits, food(s) with longer shelf life, and more. AlI of these technologies will eventually transfer to the public sector as it has always been. We do need to solve our problems here on Earth, but ending Space exploration isn't the way to achieve that.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I think someone had posted a thread on this over in the UFO forum.

I like the possibility of them being bursts from magnetars. It is quite puzzling that they are not seeing anything in the gamma or x-ray part of the bandwidth. But it does help show what they are not by that lack.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I volunteer to be the first to say it.

These emanations are due to photon torpedo detonations. Just another war, nothing to see here.

P

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Its too bad that space.com's images are so low res... they should allow the option of a super high res version from nasa.. at least link us to it...

Space.com is known for their lackluster small images.... its not 1994 anymore guys... lol.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
I volunteer to be the first to say it.

These emanations are due to photon torpedo detonations. Just another war, nothing to see here.

Yup; nothing to see here folks:

www.blinkx.com...

ATS, there are significant numbers of non-youtube videos on the web. How about a method to embed those??

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Space isn't that important to us, we will probably not be around long enough, for anything really cool to happen, that will change our way of life and the views we have about all of it.

But, we do need to keep exploring. We need to find new information and see new things, to be able to expand our imaginations. Without finding any new material, we won't have any foundation, for our imagination to build new ideas.

The universe is awesome and I'd like to learn as much there is to learn about it as I can.
Just because we are lucky enough to observe it at all.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I can see why they are having a hard time figuring out what's causing these emissions. They are short and non-repeating so far as they now know.

"These bursts gave off more energy in a millisecond than the sun does in 300,000 years," said principal investigator Dan Thornton
The sun puts out a lot of energy, so that's a pretty impressive burst!

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
Space isn't that important to us
Depends on what you mean by "us". If you mean the people alive right now, there's very little human space travel.

If you mean the "human race", our survival will depend on it. The Earth will become uninhabitable as the sun ages and there's always the possibility of another impact like the one that wiped out the dinosaurs, so we can't stay here if we want to survive. When the Earth becomes uninhabitable, our descendants might live on the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, but ultimately those too will not support life after the sun runs out of fuel and we will need to travel to another solar system to survive.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Expected behavior for EU theory.

www.thunderbolts.info...

It should be noted the current standard theories to explain gamma ray bursts are just as outrageously unbelievable as those proposed to explain FRBs.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AnarchoCapitalist

How are they "outrageously unbelievable"?

Many GRB's are caused by supernovae, which is quite believable.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Hate to be a party pooper but given the rate we are destroying, poluting and consuming our planet vs colonizing other worlds we are more likely to become an extinct species, truth is we are not getting off this rock, best is to find ways to live with it.
edit on 9-7-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
What a worthless article.

All this does is brilliantly display how immensely unimportant space is. Let's solve problems here on Earth before making phony claims using faulty equipment.

I agree 100% I think there is more important things to worry about here on earth.. And another reason I agree with you is because even if they found any signals, or life at all in space they would never tell us about it anyway. I think it is a big waste of money that can be used in a better way.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by desertguy

Space science is not about finding ET signals and has made a huge contribution to advancing the Human species. It's a bit depressing you think otherwise.

Here is just a quick run down of a few of the advances made from Space exploration in the field of medicine.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by AnarchoCapitalist

How are they "outrageously unbelievable"?

Many GRB's are caused by supernovae, which is quite believable.

So you believe that there are objects out there, made entirely of neutrons, which violate the island of stability in nuclear chemistry, that are the size of a large asteroid, which spin around at nearly half the speed of light, and emit focused beams of energy that are detectable across galactic distances?

Because that's what the standard theory says neutron stars are.

EU theory says neutron stars are just normal stars, who's plasma field is acting as a relaxation oscillator, which is something that can be produced in a high school lab experiment. Peratt has published papers on this subject.

As for supernova, Thornhill provides a much more reasonable explanation here:

www.holoscience.com...

edit on 7/10/2013 by AnarchoCapitalist because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join