It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you learn to lessen your empathy?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I've always been very empathetic. It's so severe that if anyone near me is hurting in anyway, whether they're showing it or not, I'll feel it. It's even to the point that if someone that I'm close with is feeling bad, I'll feel it, whether I've seen them today or not.

Why is it that I'm stuck feeling everyone's negative emotions? Do any of you other Empaths feel people's feelings of joy or happiness? Or, is it just the negative things you can feel?

I have enough of my own problems as it is, and I'm tired of feeling other people's emotions. Is this common? Is there a way to control this?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

Practice makes perfect.

I would recommend watching all the Faces of Death films.
Read some Jack Ketchum novels.
Maybe hang outside an emergency room.
Apparently watching the "News" is very effective.
Consider joining the military.
Or get a job at a coroners office.

Pretty much surround yourself with lots of horrible things, you'll get the hang of it.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave_welch
I've always been very empathetic. It's so severe that if anyone near me is hurting in anyway, whether they're showing it or not, I'll feel it. It's even to the point that if someone that I'm close with is feeling bad, I'll feel it, whether I've seen them today or not.

Why is it that I'm stuck feeling everyone's negative emotions? Do any of you other Empaths feel people's feelings of joy or happiness? Or, is it just the negative things you can feel?

I have enough of my own problems as it is, and I'm tired of feeling other people's emotions. Is this common? Is there a way to control this?

Congradulations, You Are An Empath. Im still trying to figure the blocking of others emotions. It is common, accept it and perhaps new skills will develop--telepathy, channeling high powers, give it your best shot as not many are Empaths and you are for a reason. You will if you develop it be able to read people through this medium, the telephone, on sight unspoken. Its hard, cavedwelling is the only other option, like a Monk, being brought its food by villagers (complete isolation). Its normal to want to run, because its so intense, but its a gift. USE IT; you will help others eventually, (you might not like the random knocking on the door "I hear you have prior knoweledge" intrusions). Its a learning thing, once you have accepted it; it will be easier, Id be glad to help.
edit on 7-7-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
You can learn to close up yourself from incoming emotions/feelins/energies.

You can also learn to get it out. You need someone that is able to teach you this, since you didn't learn it by yourself. I hope for you you will find someone soon, who can help you with this.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

Practice makes perfect.

I would recommend watching all the Faces of Death films.
Read some Jack Ketchum novels.
Maybe hang outside an emergency room.
Apparently watching the "News" is very effective.
Consider joining the military.
Or get a job at a coroners office.

Pretty much surround yourself with lots of horrible things, you'll get the hang of it.

Evil Dead Part 2, be there or be square on the hill of Golgatha skulls/Calgary, and the three Tee's (not crosses) get up close and personal to the crucifiied/the crucifiers/and all followers of the Roman or New Christian Faith in infancy. As an empath, blow MY BRAINS OUT (12 gauge not invented) or with a well placed rock thrown from David or a Lightning Bolt cast down (heaven) from MOSES, at my feet a burning bush?. My job as an empath at the coroners office would be the 'Deaner" the one that does all of the work of the Coroner, the cutting and slicing. (its a dead body, no empathy needed). Outside of an emergency room I would be the ambulance chasing lawyer, because I COULD READ ITS INTENTION. Military man; rote step would know the drill and exactly what to say to advance in rank. As far as a 'news person' would have a blog that revealed the news before it hit national airwaves.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
You don' t want too. I spent time living as remote as I could, keeping that distance, yet praying for, envisioning and mediating for every single person to progress, for them to heal and seek happiness for others and themselves.

It doesn't matter, for you are called, and the job isn't to hide, or subdue, the beginnings of universal understanding or telepathy, but instead to retreat, when its overwhelming, meditate, and envision. Our hearts send powerful waves many miles out, our thoughts affect this world and the standing waves, its with emotion that healing takes place, so develop your gifts.

Look into this:

Qi gong Healing (How to Balance the 12 Main Organs) 1 of 2

Sword Fingers with Chunyi Lin - An Energy Healing Technique for Helping Others

Donna Eden - Introduction to Energy Medicine

Cure all Illnesses in 3 minutes!!! Spread LOVE not HATE!!!

You don't want to turn this off, but you may need to seek solitude, and peace, and buddist gardens, like this:

cdn.c.photoshelter.com...

4.bp.blogspot.com...

sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net...

Empath is the doorway to telepathy. Do heart chakra meditations in solitude.

Breathe gently, softly and deeply, without forcing and hold your hands one on top of the other, over your heart, and relax.

Then see the heart chakra, love center, flooding your body with green or pink energy, or white or blue healing, and relax even more, and then talk to someone in your heart. Tell them they are light and love and came into the world to see through it, and wake and make a difference, that you love them, and just want them to be happy, and to grow their light bigger. try to picture when they were last happy, what makes them happy. talk to them. Talk to a loved one in your heart, while they're in the hospital.

Peace and Love!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Telepathy, really?

Serious question: Are you screwing around with me?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

NO! Empath is psi, a gift, and its a forerunner or the beginnings of the universal understanding and telepathy. I'm an empath and a communicator of ufology and also guides/angels, never sought to be one however, and hid most of my life, trying to bend down the wires and stay remote and happy, for if Im in the midst of friends, and ex, their friends, those with dramas and substance abuse, I can feel everyone, sense where there are, knew when 2 died, the one who died, woke with him at the window apparently. But I thought he was the other one that died, and it took months to gain peace and safety, was even thinking of getting a prayer group over the property, and had my psi son, 7 or 8 at the time, run down the front steps and shout to his brother, come and see the ghost and led his brother to the very spot near the garage I knew she was, at the back of property, while my hair was standing on end. Finally, after many prayers for her and telling her to go into the light, which I sensed was there for her, while I heard her voice distinctly tell me she would go to hell, so prayed and interceded. She had given me a bouquet of flowers, after crying over my ex, just before her suicide, so I interceded strongly, and the very next morning it was over. Had the message inside, she is safe and home. And have felt her watch over, send a message on the computer once, with the names all there, my ex, my son and hers. When she died, her boyfriend was in the shop, wouldn't go home to her, and when I walked to the shop to plead with him again, for i couldn't even describe where she lived to the ambulance, I had a vision of a van arriving the next day after lunch, to pick up with the news.

That was his brothers van, and just as I saw, it came to pass. Also, there was an incredible gong as the world shuddered, and i knew......the time of her death was right after the phone call, roughly right when I felt the gong.

In any case, this was a man connected to someone who was borrowing the couch to move into another place after he and his other 3 roomates were evicted. I didn't know him, except that he came to my carport and sang for me, and had a wonderful voice, my friend said he used to play music locally and with her at times, but he was down and out and squatting in the house he got evicted from. I knew for an entire week he was going to die, it was so urgent and immediate, and so told his roomate please, rescue him, find him a place, he is like a child, helpless, I could feel what he felt like. But every day that week he hit his ex roommate up for money so i though, well maybe not. We found out he had died the next morning, and the time of death is when i woke up.

Its not nice having an antenna that you keep working on.

However, empath is telepathy, its connected and related, and partly what it takes to develop that.

These are all gifts of spirit, but everyone is capable of developing their psi, some have more of one gift over another.
edit on 7-7-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Telepathy, really?

Serious question: Are you screwing around with me?

You are not being messed with. If/as an empath, yes--telepathy is the next step; and you would be amazed if you let yourself talk to higher beings. The human is just the primer first exposure study group panel. If you do not garner and get the human emotion under control, you will never succeed with highly advanced; as they are automatons, and exihibit no emotion on purpose, the human is the learning factor (VERY EMOTIVE)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Even if the world smelled like **** would you cut off your nose?

The information you gain far outweighs the pain you suffer.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

A 'ol Sergeant Major once said to me..."SGT T, don't sweat the small $#!t. Care only when you can help"

It took awhile, but I got there. And I still try every day to a degree.
edit on 7-7-2013 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Of course not, I'd wear nose plugs or rub Vicks under my nose.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Okay, so being an Empath is a sign of telepathy. Anyone know where you can read up on developing that?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   

You can't save the world. You have to "try" to direct it to what you can do.

I understand exactly where your coming from. I know you were in the Navy also. You've seen and been to a lot of places. I think that effects us. I traveled even before the Navy for 18 years. Your brain gets over load.

My wife use to get so upset with me for the many times I'd stop the car to help whatever was crossing a road or highway (sometimes I'd stop traffic/road block 'em) she was worried I get smacked by a car or truck and go ballistic

I just have to give it a shot if I think there's a chance I'd tell her. I still do.

Just use your empathy as best as you can...but be carful.
edit on 7-7-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Okay, so being an Empath is a sign of telepathy. Anyone know where you can read up on developing that?

To be truthful, I don't think that any book will help you develop a special gift. You have to learn on your own. Others can lead you astray.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Huh, not as forgettable as I thought.

Anyway, I know what you mean. If I had a nickel for every time a girl I was dating got mad at me because I asked a girl that I didn't know if she was doing okay. I do that with guys too though, but they didn't mind about that. I can just tell if someone is faking a smile and just going through the motions.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by vethumanbeing
not many are Empaths and you are for a reason. You will if you develop it be able to read people through this medium, the telephone, on sight unspoken. Its hard, cavedwelling is the only other option, like a Monk, being brought its food by villagers (complete isolation). Its normal to want to run, because its so intense, but its a gift. USE IT; you will help others eventually,.., once you have accepted it; it will be easier, ...

Likewise... I am dealing with other health-related issues, at the moment, however. But I offer my advice and comical relief to you... both... and other empaths at large.
the world is a gnarly place without being bombarded with other people's feelings....

TAKE CARE! oxox,
`~` schm

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by schmirror

Yeah, especially when all of your friends are just a few steps from the soup line! I'll tell you what, I only know one person who has it as bad as I do, but she's cheerful all the time. I have no Idea how she does it.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Does anybody know of a good website to read up on this? I googled it, but there's like 90,000 sites, I'd like to know which ones are the better ones to get information from.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Yes. It can be a big problem, it can make your life hell. I remember when I saw the movie "The Hours" I cried to see how well this was illustrated by the part played by Julianne Moore. Some people may feel drawn to protect you, but a whole lot of them feel drawn to use you as a drop off bin for all their negative emotions. And it become impossible to cope sometimes.

First? Drop all the ideas you have heard and might have ingested about the "evils of ego".
This idea is valid only for those who have the opposite problem of yourself- a lack of sensitivity, of empathy.

If you will, ego provides walls between self and others, and it can be more or less thick, and where some people might have it three feet thick others don't have one at all. The first ones can't communicate with those around and exchange emotions, but the second get invaded and walked through and your yard riddled with their trash.

Start by making efforts, in everyday events to Be Selfish. To say no to others, to distinguish yourself from others- this is what people are doing when they disagree with another openly. They are drawing a line- "You are on that side of the line, I am on this side."

Drop ideas you may have picked up about the importance of being agreable.Leave those to the people with the thick walls that need to remind themselves to be considerate of others. Your job is to learn to be considerate of your self. It is okay to disagree with people, and it doesn't have to be hostile or aggressive. It can be a calm, friendly and considerate "agreement to disagree".

Practice debate with friends, and not to win, but just the process of argumentation and reasoning. Keep in mind the goal if just to well structure your point- not convince the other or make them change their mind. It is for YOUR mind to be reinforced, for you to know well what you think and feel and why.

Use "I am..;" I feel" "I think.". statements as often as possible.

I personally find it is not productive to spend time saying "You feel this or you feel that, "in trying to draw that line and distinguish. A lot of people use that, but I find the problem is that one can too easily project their own feelings on another. Let them speak for themself, you speak for yourself.

Besides, in the end emotions sometimes just are and they don't belong to anyone. If you are in presence of someone who is producing an emotion, you know you will feel it, pick it up and it will then be both of yours, no matter where it started from. But you don't have to associate it to anything- to decide it was caused by something or someone, to find blame. This is where the spiritual practices which aim to learn to accept negative feelings and suffering as part of life come in handy. When you pick up suffering from another, then the more ideas you form about what you are feeling, the more they will stay with you and continue even when you are no longer in the presence of that person.

Sometimes we think it is important to remember and hold on to the suffering of others, in order to be a good person. Consider though, the value of compassion- which recognizes that sometimes people (consciously or not) CHOOSE painful experiences for various reasons- so judging the experience as something that shouldn't happen is not always necessary.

The ego is a mental construction, so it is your thoughts and views which build it. Build those, make sure they are strong, and don't have holes or weak spots in logic.

Sometimes it can be helpful to imagine this is your masculine side. It is the male inside that is self aware, and he has to be big enough to equal the power of your feminine side- the one which is aware of other.

You will probably never be less sensitive, but you can live with that sensitivity and finds ways to use it constructively and not have it tear you down. Don't let the mantras of the bad ego get into you, most of all. They are on a different path. Yours is building a self, and allowing self preservation.

Jobs where you need to take care of others, the handicapped, the sick, the elderly or young, animals, are good choices, and also make it clear why self preservation is necessary- you cannot aid another if you are sick too. If you fall apart, you can't help others pull themself together. Remember the airplane emergency directions, to put on your own oxygen mask before you aid others with theirs!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join