It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing Facts In MSM Reporting on Egypt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It seems that media, as always, has neglected many of the facts surrounding the protests in Egypt and ousting of the president. For the most part we have been led to believe there are basically two factions: Morsi/MB supporters vs. the Opposition. But if you dig a little deeper in the desert sand you’ll find that its not so cut and dried. There is no doubt that I've left out more than is included here, but its a place to start.

One of the discrepancies is the reporting about the poor beleaguered Coptic Christians in Egypt. In fact, in a country that’s been dubbed rabidly Islamic and violent towards Christians …

Nassef Sawiris, the billionaire chairman and chief executive of Orascom Construction Industries, Egypt's largest listed company, is a Coptic Christian.

And as a matter of fact, Microsoft’s Bill Gates’ recently invested 2 billion dollars in Orascom Construction.

OCI plans first to trade on NYSE Euronext in Amsterdam and will follow with a U.S. depository receipts program in New York. The company is “committed to an active listing in Egypt, either directly or through Egyptian depository receipts,” Sawiris said in a telephone interview.

Allen & Co, Barclays Plc, Citigroup Inc. (C), Rabobank International acted as international advisers, while Cairo-based CI Capital Investment Banking was the exclusive local financial adviser, according to the filing.

www.bloomberg.com...

Does this kind of wheeling and dealing take place in a political vacuum or in a hostile environment? The claims of such don't appear to hold much water In light of this and I would appreciate input from Egyptians on the forum on this omission in reporting.

Next is the issue of the divisions between these two factions we've been told about, but not covering the deep differences of opinion within both the pro-Morsi MB and the opposition party. But one of the greatest potential factors in this uprising can be seen to stem from the plethora of non governmental organizations that operate in Egypt (and everywhere else on earth, including the USofA) No one in the western press addresses what these organizations really do either in Egypt or our own country, but despite their good PR on local levels, they are a shadowy source of problems wherever they go.

At any rate, many Egyptians have stated for the record that although they dislike Morsi for a variety of reasons, most are horrified at the way the MB protesters have been hounded and attacked in these past days.
muftah.org...

I don’t particularly like Morsi, either, but he never was my choice because Egypt isn’t my country. I’d say we’ve got a bigger fish to fry with the US president. But in the meantime, a question for you: When you see photos or videos of people being thrown from the roof of a building, how do you know the political persuasion, or even the religious beliefs of either the throwers or the throwees except by what you’ve been told by the media? Something to think about.

So getting back to the lack of information about Egypt’s NGOs, it seems that some damning paperwork was discovered in one of the NGO offices in Egypt in mid June with a map dissecting Egypt into four separate areas (similar to what the “opposition” wants to do in Syria and elsewhere.) Naturally the government hauled them into court along with all the evidence and jailed some 30 of them, including Americans,

“for violating laws restricting the operation and funding of civil society organizations in Egypt. The verdict follows hard on Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi's release of a draft law to regulate NGOs that is far more draconian than the law under which these workers were convicted.
mideast.foreignpolicy.com...
(keeping in mind that the above rant comes from a very pro-US, pro-NGO foreign policy group.)

So the trial against the NGOers who had drawn maps breaking Egypt into four bite size pieces took place on June 17th, the protests began June 30th. What a coincidence.

Some of you may be very much in favor of these “civil” organizations, such as Agenda 21, but they are not welcome in Egypt. Nor are they welcome in Russia for many of the same reasons. Putin recently called such organizations “disruptive to society” and signed a law into effect that foreign NGOs must register with the government and release their funding sources, much of which apparently comes from the US and the EU. One group disbanded rather than disclose their “funding partners” names.

A deaf man in Antarctica could have heard the gnashing teeth and wailing about that fascist Putin all the way from the US and EU NGO centers. The articles are easy to find.

Russia has accused the United States of interfering in its domestic affairs, saying Washington is getting around Russian restrictions on foreign funding by channeling money to non-governmental organizations (NGOs).

Russia recently said that any NGO that is involved in politics and receives foreign funding must register as a foreign agent. It also banned such organizations from receiving funding from US citizens.
www.presstv.com...

Sorry this is so disjointed I hope you can make sense of it. (I'm wearing Kevlar undies, so its a free fire zone
)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Good points.
We can't trust the media, especially when they all seem to in bed with the government.
I am sure that being a middle to lower class Christian in Egypt isn't a stroll in the park though.
You shouldn't have mentioned the Kevlar undies, they'll be shooting at your head now.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Good points.
We can't trust the media, especially when they all seem to in bed with the government.
I am sure that being a middle to lower class Christian in Egypt isn't a stroll in the park though.
You shouldn't have mentioned the Kevlar undies, they'll be shooting at your head now.

Thanks.

As many times as I've been called a pinhead I'm not too worried, its probably not a good target. But that somehow reminded me of that old line, "shoot low sheriff, they're riding Shetlands." Besides, a head shot is quicker than old age.

I'm not all that sure being a devout anything is a stroll in the park anymore, anywhere religion wise, we've become pretty ungodly in this new modern age. (was that maybe too many anys?)

new topics

join